Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2006 5:36:40 PM EDT
Digital or analog. I was looking at  S&W H3 Tritium and Luminox Navy seals watch, however something cheaper would be great. I'm still jobless. Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Casio Gshock
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Basic Casio G-shock. I have beaten the crap out of those things and never killed one without a weapon
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
G-Shock
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
G-Shock all the way.

17 years, same battery.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for the DW6600 G-Shock.  I have one I was issued in 2003, and it's still kicking on the original battery.  I've beat the shit out of it, and it's still raging.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
G-Shock all the way.

17 years, same battery.

That's inconceivable!

+1 on the G-Shock.
I lose them before they break (or before the battery goes bad ).
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Casio Gshock

Big +1
I'm notoriously hard on watches.  I've worn the same g-shock for the past 2 years and have suceeded in knocking the paint out of the words around the sides where you change from time, to stopwatch, etc.  The face hasn't gotten scratched yet (also a first for me).  

From now on, the only watch I will buy is a g-shock.

Plus...the tough solar is great!  No replacing batteries.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Any particular model?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I was gonna say G-Shock... but knew I wouldn't have to.

I'm wearing one right now.

The other one that I have that was purchased in 1998 is still running on the original battery.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
G-Shock all the way.

17 years, same battery.

damn!
Longest I ever had a battery last was 8 years
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Any particular model?

They're all good.  Atomic Solar is a waste of money, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Any particular model?

they are all good.
I have a solar powered model with atomic clock recieve and stainless steel band.
No more batteries and clock syncing for me
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I like GShocks, but I don't want to pay $70 for one.  They all seem to have all that crap in them, Atomic time, Solar Powered, etc.  Where can I get just a watch?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That's my main concern with the solar models.  

The normal battery models last for a long time, I have no problem changing my battery every decade.  However the tough solar still uses a battery, a rechargeable one that surely won't last as long as a primary.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I like GShocks, but I don't want to pay $70 for one.  They all seem to have all that crap in them, Atomic time, Solar Powered, etc.  Where can I get just a watch?

I see plain models all the time at wal-mart, targets and drug stores
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I checked Walmart, they are all over $60.

But Walmarts suck around here, they don't even sell ammo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Beats the f*Ck outta me, it's still going.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#19]
G-Shock

I'll also recommend this Nixon. Titanium carbide coated stainless steel, backlit, water resistant and built like a tank.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
G-Shock

I'll also recommend this Nixon. Titanium carbide coated stainless steel, backlit, water resistant and built like a tank.

www.nixonnow.com/prod_images/10806-hero_blk_ss_rvr.jpg

I had that model in an earlier edition (no yellow second hand or green under the numbers).  It's called the Black Rover SS and it was a great watch.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I checked Walmart, they are all over $60.

But Walmarts suck around here, they don't even sell ammo.

I just did a quick search on amazon and I see a few for $30, new
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
G-Shock

I wonder if it'll fit though...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
G-Shock

how much is it? Is it made by Casio?

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Standard luminox dive watch

Just don't get it close to a 1.5 tesla magnet...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Anything but Citizen watches. I spent $400.00 on one. 2 years later the band broke, and they tell me the band only has a 1 year warranty, and because of the way thier watches are made, you have to get their band for $150.00. Well, another 2 years have passed now, and the band recently broke again. Citizen makes cheap crap.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
G-Shock

I don't think so, but it's givin' me wood anyway.

It'd look great next to one these:

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a Timex digtial with velcro strap, Six years old , worn when working construction as a electrician, while in Iraq, hunting numours times , horse riding , and three kids rough housing...

$7.00 original battery
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
G-Shock

It's made by Nixon and about $180.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been using the Wenger Analog Swiss Military watches for a few years now, they are cheap at around 50 to 60 dollars a watch and they work fine for me, since I loath anything digital on a watch.  I think I bought the 2 I have at either walmart or Sams Club, you can buy them online as well.

ETA: Just looked around and I see that they have gotten a little more expensive, but its been three years since I bought one.  www.wengerna.com/browse/watches.jsp
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I've been using the Wenger Analog Swiss Military watches for a few years now, they are cheap at around 50 to 60 dollars a watch and they work fine for me, since I loath anything digital on a watch.  I think I bought the 2 I have at either walmart or Sams Club, you can buy them online as well.

Mine sucked.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine sucked.

Both of mine are fine, even after the one I have now was dropped onto concrete, soaked in a lake,hit with a 60mph baseball...etc The crystal is just now starting to show scratches.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Anything but Citizen watches. I spent $400.00 on one. 2 years later the band broke, and they tell me the band only has a 1 year warranty, and because of the way thier watches are made, you have to get their band for $150.00. Well, another 2 years have passed now, and the band recently broke again. Citizen makes cheap crap.

+1 I bought a citizen flight watch (don’t remember the exact model) for around $400 and the band would not stay together. So finally after months of bitching they gave me a new one and it had the same problem. It eventually fell off without me noticing and was lost. Good riddance I say. I switched back to my Timex Iron Man. But the Gee-wiz factor on Suunto's X9iM is hard to pass up so I think I might pick one up just so I can be the coolest kid on my block.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Digital or analog. I was looking at  S&W H3 Tritium and Luminox Navy seals watch, however something cheaper would be great. I'm still jobless. Any suggestions?

I'm partial to mechanical watches, and really like the vintage Soviet-era watches and chronographs. These are well made, essentially Soviet derivatives of Swiss movements, and built to last.

They never need batteries and can be regulated to a high degree of accuracy.

My favorites include the Poljot Air Force Shturmanskie chrono, the Navy Okeah chrono, the various Strela models, and of course the ministry of defense Vostok mechanicals.

For years the prices on these watches was very reasonable - cheap even, but now the collector market has discovered these, quite frankly, awesome time pieces and the price is rising accordingly.

Newer Russian Vostok's and Lithuanian-made Vostok Europe watches are still reasonably priced ($30-$50), as well as a couple of late model Poljots (and the new Volmax renditions of classic Poljot models) in the same price range.

Some of my personal favorites:

Vostok 17 jewel civilian market

Vostok 17 jewel Great Patriotic War 40-year Commemorative

Vostok Naval 17 Jewel Komanderskie

Vostok Ministry of Defense (3AKA3 MO CCCP) Komanderskie Paratrooper

Poljot 3133 calibre Soviet Navy Okeah (Ocean) chrono

Poljot 31659 calibre (hacking) Soviet Air Force Shturmanskie chrono

1965 Poljot 3017 calibre Sekonda (Strela) Soviet Air Force chrono

1958 Poljot 3017 calibre Strela Soviet Air Force chrono

-k

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine sucked.

Both of mine are fine, even after the one I have now was dropped onto concrete, soaked in a lake,hit with a 60mph baseball...etc The crystal is just now starting to show scratches.

I take great care of my stuff...

The crystal got scratched very easily, battery died a few months after I got it, and it didn't seal worth a crap...

But this was like 8 years ago.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm partial to mechanical watches, and really like the vintage Soviet-era watches and chronographs. These are well made, essentially Soviet derivatives of Swiss movements, and built to last.

My favorites include the Poljot Air Force Shturmanskie chrono, the Navy Okeah chrono, the various Strela models, and of course the ministry of defense Vostok mechanicals.

For years the prices on these watches was very reasonable - cheap even, but now the collector market has discovered these, quite frankly, awesome time pieces and the price is rising accordingly.

Newer Russian Vostok's and Lithuanian-made Vostok Europe watches are still reasonably priced ($30-$50), as well as a couple of late model Poljots (and the new Volmax renditions of classic Poljot models) in the same price range.

-k

ive heard those old soviet watches have the water resistance of damp sponges though.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

ETA: Just looked around and I see that they have gotten a little more expensive, but its been three years since I bought one.  www.wengerna.com/browse/watches.jsp

ive have (swiss army brand) not wenger officers quartz thats pushing 20 years old. It never skipped a beat.

depending on the model my vote goes for the swiss army watches.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Do the G-shock crystals really stand up to scratches well?  I wear my watch all the time, working on cars/trucks/aircraft and the crystal always gets scratched to hell in no time.  I don't like the bulk of the G-shocks, I actually like the lo-pro style of the suuntos.  I will buy a G-shock as long as you guys confirm the crystal is tough and very scratch resistant.  My motorola Razr has the toughest plastic I have ever seen on the display on the outside.  I carry it in my pocket every day and it still looks like brand new, I wish a watch maker would use that stuff, whatever it is.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:19:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-k

ive heard those old soviet watches have the water resistance of damp sponges though.

I bought my first Vostok in '84. It still works perfectly. I've got about 40 Soviet/Russian watches and a dozen vintage Swiss machanical/automatics. The average age of the watches I own is ~30 years. Since I don't swim with my vintage watches, I cannot speak to how well they seal after that amount of time.

I also have a few Hamilton pocket watches/railroad watches that average ~80 years old. Just beautiful.

People who know that I collect watches will insist on buying me Japanese quartz watches as gifts, thinking that those watches are nice/high quality. I have a few in the bottom of a drawer somewhere. They're the 9mm of watches.

New Vostok's and water resistant Poljot/Volmax watches (non-chronos) work as advertised, re water resistance.

My daily-wear Vostok amphibian only gets wet when my hands are wet, and gets submerged infrequently - washing the car, etc.,. I have let it sit in a glass of water for a week just to satisfy my own curiosity. No problems, but no real atmospheric pressure either - it is not a true diver by any stretch of the imagination.  

I wouldn't dream of getting any of my vintage watches anywhere near water. Russian or otherwise.

-k
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:22:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Casio

I'd get Casio Pro Trek with compass, barometer, altimeter, thermometer etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:29:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my main concern with the solar models.  

The normal battery models last for a long time, I have no problem changing my battery every decade.  However the tough solar still uses a battery, a rechargeable one that surely won't last as long as a primary.

I had to have my atomic/solar rechargable battery replaced two weeks ago.
Had to go to four placed before I could find someone to do it and reseal the watch so it would
remain waterproof.
The hype about the solar watches never neding a battery is untrue. Ten bucks including labor.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:44:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I tend to tear up watches and my Marathon TSAR has held up AMAZINGLY well.  Not one scratch in the crystal after 6 months of daily wear and only very minimal marks elsewhere.  It's more than you want to spend, but to me it's worth extra to not have to replace or have a scratched up watch after a month or two.  Other than that, the steady reccomendation seems to be G-Shock.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:58:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Do the G-shock crystals really stand up to scratches well?  I wear my watch all the time, working on cars/trucks/aircraft and the crystal always gets scratched to hell in no time.  I don't like the bulk of the G-shocks, I actually like the lo-pro style of the suuntos.  I will buy a G-shock as long as you guys confirm the crystal is tough and very scratch resistant.  My motorola Razr has the toughest plastic I have ever seen on the display on the outside.  I carry it in my pocket every day and it still looks like brand new, I wish a watch maker would use that stuff, whatever it is.  

they are tough, mine must be around a decade old by now. Still clear with no visible scratches.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:00:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Seiko "Monster" (Seiko model# SKX781)

Can also be purchased with an orange face.  Both black and orange run $175-$200 (retail is $400). More rare models have yellow or blue faces and cost more based on the rarity.  Very rugged watch.

ETA orange faced photo.  Also if you have a Seiko Factory Store near you you can find some nice buys for well under $175.  The Seiko-5 series is very nice and typically under $125.  Pulsar is also made by Seiko and is very reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:06:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they are tough, mine must be around a decade old by now. Still clear with no visible scratches.

Good to hear, the timex I bought a month or so ago already has some nasty scratches.  Guess its off to the store I go to look at the G-shocks.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:15:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Timex Expedition.  Cheap but very functional.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Timex Expedition.  Cheap but very functional.

Hell yea, but i had to change the band, itched like hell thou......
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#47]
GSHOCK
Marathon TSAR
Seiko dive watches
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The normal battery models last for a long time, I have no problem changing my battery every decade.  

GSHOCK collector here.

The "normal" Batteries only last two years if you never use the indiglo feature.

The "10yr battery" models are a special version, slightly more expensive.

I like the solar version but have no use for the atomic version.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Casio Gshock

+11,000,000,000

I love my automatics, but the Gshock is where it's at if you want a tough as nails watch.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Every time I see these threads, I'm tempted to buy one... so I just did!

gw530a-1v
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top