Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/14/2006 11:48:05 AM EDT
That's what someone told me at work.

A little background. I work in advertising. Typical cubicle job. I'd say the average age is 30 where I work, before people move on to a bigger company.

Today this young married lady says "My husband wants to go shooting with his friends this weekend. Should I be worried?"
I say, "Naw... let him go, he'll have fun!"
Enter Pete, the manager, he's from England. "Yeah but you're like a total gun freak."
me, ignoring pete, turning again to the lady, "don't think of it as violent, try to think of it as a fun afternoon he'll spend with friends. Just a heads up, he'll probably want to buy a gun afterwarsd though."
Pete, "I don't see how you can say don't think of it as violent. Guns are meant for killing people. It's what they do."
By now about 10 co-workers are  stopped near us, listening.
me, "Pete, have you ever been shooting?"
other co-worker "Steve, you have guns? Why?"
another co-worker "He has like a ton of army guns, they're not hunting rifles."
even another "What do you want with guns? Are you gearing up for the apocolypse? Y2K came and went, Steve!"
me, trying to laugh it off, "What is this? Nobody's got my back?"
Pete, "I've seen pictures of you out there shooting" (he mimics shooting, puts this psycho face on) "Seriously, you remind me of BTK. He was totally normal during the day, but when no one was watching, he was torturing and killing families."

I stop smiling and give him the look.

Another co-worker, "Don't piss him off, he's got guns!"
I just kind of mumbled "whatever" and swivel around back to my computer and pretend to work. I know, I'm not very quick.

So, I like to think I've got pretty thick skin. But, to borrow a line from a favorite movie, this really pisses me off to no end. This was a good working environtment.
I just wanted to vent. If anybody has any advice on how to make my co-workers see that I am a normal guy, I'd appreciate it. Also, any words of wisdom for Pete, he's like 25 feet away right now.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#1]
what state do you live in?

this is why i don't talk much about guns with people at work/school unless i know they're into it already.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Before I read the thread title closely, I thought sure you'd posted "You remind me of TBK..."

Seriously though, I think you should have cut Mr Smart Ass off at the knees immediately, before he had a chance to get an audience.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Wear Rambo style linked ammo belts to work Monday.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Some people are born retarded. They can't help it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Simple answer.
Invite them out shooting!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
... But, to borrow a line from a favorite movie, this really pisses me off to no end...

BTILC ?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy that limey a skirt.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a conversation I had with another Brit I know
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Having guns as a hobby equals killing and torturing people, then jerking off on them? Your co-workers are fucking morons.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#10]
i don't advertise to anyone that i own guns.   only family and some close friends know that i own guns.

same for ccw.   select few know that about me.  

never know who is going to turn on you
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck em They are all Laughing at you now.
But when you come to work on your last day. Decked out in your BDUs' and A face full of cammo.They will be begging for their lives as you hop from cubicle to cubicle shooting them with your practised mazambique drill

ETA Just kidding
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#12]
You have to fire back at them.  Report that guy who mentioned btk to HR for inappropriate comments.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Tell Pete R. Puffer to STFU.

The rest; well they seem to already have been asimalated into the hive mind.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#14]
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

-Sigmund Freud

Not to mention, home slice there is from England. If it was such a great country ,gun laws and all, GO BACK.

That and make bleating noises when people express anxiety about firearms. My father in law doesn't see the need for my black rifle but when I question him about his high powered sniper rifle he takes a step back.

96Ag
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Hmmm, tough call. I'd say throw it back in their liberal minded way and go to HR and complain about the hostile workplace and harrassment you  suffered.

That'd show them.

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Simple answer.
Invite them out shooting!!

+1.  That's where I'd go with it.

Simply say, in a non-threatening (no smart ass ) way "How can you possibly understand and condemn something that you have NO first hand experience with."  No confrontation, just make it clear that it's a cool thing (going to the range) and keep the offer on the table.

Oh, and read this as well:

jpfo.org/ragingagainstselfdefense.htm

It's a bit long but worth EVERY SECOND.  It lays out, in detail what is going through the "minds" of people like the ones you encountered at work.  It will go a LONG way to giving you the tools to deal with this kind of response.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Fuck em They are all Laughing at you now.
But when you come to work on your last day. Decked out in your BDUs' and A face full of cammo.They will be begging for their lives as you hop from cubicle to cubicle shooting them with your practised mazambique drill

ETA Just kidding

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I am in law school and after a few controversial  case discussions in class I became the resident gun expert and violent psycho. That was early in the year. Since then people have come to understand that I am not afraid to be myself, and my sense of humor & gregarious nature have dispelled things to lovable psycho I guess It ain't right but people's people. Esp ignorant ones.

I was very proud however. This girl in our class more opinionated than many (although we all are in law school) came up to me. We had a pretty heated discussion last semester about guns (katrina, current cases & all) she was a victim of violence and couldn't seperate the events that terrorized her from the facts. After the unresolved argument it was water under the bridge and we remained "school friends". She came up to me and apologized for being wrong. She conceded her feelings probably influenced her opinions too much and she really didn't know about guns. She resolved to get some exp so that if she hated them at least she had some experience etc to back her convictions. I extended the invite to show her how to use them and to invite her to the range when we were freed up. I also told her I was very proud of her for telling me that and for having the strength to abandon "beingrightedness" at law school.

Sometimes we are not going to win on the issues because people are emotional. I am sure people think you're a good guy before the BTK. Keep up the good work showing them you're a good guy who just happens to like those awful things. Maybe one day that will come in handy for us when something shakes them off the fence and they want to learn more. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#19]
"Damn son! you got served!"

haha, you'd think as much as you post on AR15.com you'd pick up on the pro 2nd ammendment lines that can be used to put uneducated little shits in their place...

Like the fact that "army guns" are used in less than 1% of all crimes, as ATF stats show and the Brady Campaign admits... Or that guns are protected in the United States because we used them to kill fucking red coats like your co-worker who tried to impose their will on us... and we won't let anyone tread on us again...

etc. etc.

the list goes on. Polish up on your debate-fu young grasshopper
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd definitely take a couple of minutes to write down the time, date, witnesses present, and details of the conversation...

Trust me, it will come in handy in a few weeks when you are fired for some bullshi'ite reason that has nothing to do with guns. You'll want this information to give to your attorney for subpoenas and depositions when you file your pending "Wrongful Termination" lawsuit.

just my .02, nothing more.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

-Sigmund Freud

Not to mention, home slice there is from England. If it was such a great country ,gun laws and all, GO BACK.

That and make bleating noises when people express anxiety about firearms. My father in law doesn't see the need for my black rifle but when I question him about his high powered sniper rifle he takes a step back.

96Ag

+1 on all the above.  It's a bill of rights, not a bill of needs.  Criticising you for gun ownership is just as bad and wrong as criticising a person based on their religion, race or sexual orientation.  

People need to become educated about that.  If it's considered wrong to bash libtards for their twisted beliefs, it should be wrong to bash us for ours.  

The only way guns should come into it is if a person is making direct threats of violence ("I'm gonna shoot the fuckin place up !!!") or anything like that.  And making threats like that is already quite illegal.  

However, simply discussing weapons is not and should not be illegal, just as much as it shouldn't be a crime to discuss archery, paintball, martial arts, weight lifting or any other hobby/sport.  

People have a right to disagree, however, I think the poster's coworkers were wrong for openly criticising his hobbies, particulary since these activities are not work-related.  They should have just voiced disagreement and then moved on.  

If I hounded the hell out of everyone I disagreed with, I would probably be in jail for 87,000  counts of harassment.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#23]
steve-oh,

Having gone through a similar experience, though on a smaller scale, I can empathise with you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Proper response:

"Because part of being a man is being able to defend yourself and those who depend on you."
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Start by emailing this transcript to your HR manager. Use the term "Hostile Work environment" and get a tape recorder. Seriously.... And start updating your resume.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Point out some facts to them:
Guns do not cause violence people do.
People have been killing each other years before there were guns.
Crime rates as measured in victim surveys are all higher in England than the United States. Crime rates as measured in police statistics are higher in England for half of the measured crime types. A person committing serious crime in the United States is generally more likely than one in England to be caught, convicted, and incarcerated. Incarceration sentences are also generally longer in the United States than England.
Source: www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/html/cjusew96/contents.htm

Next ask Pete if worried about guns ask what the hell are you doing in my country?
Tell him about the most deadly weapon out there CARS! We lose more people on are nations roads every year the we lost during the entire Vietnam War.

If your co-workers don’t understand after these facts are present well you can’t argue with Stupid!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#27]
That's one of the most terrible things I have ever heard!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

-Sigmund Freud

96Ag

+1, tell him that not to knock it until he has tried it.

Your co-workers sound like they were the abusive bastards in high school. I want to beat them senseless. I can say this much about these jerks:

"Liberalism is the transformation of mankind into cattle." -Friedrich Nietzsche

And yes, in case that Brit fool talks trash again, quote him this:

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

I love quotes. They are the perfect COMPLEMENT to my wit (haha!).
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like you're the victim of a hostile work enviroment
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#30]
You should certainly report the BTK thing to your boss. You should have followed that comment with a "What did you just say?" Being a liberal pussy is not a license to make slanderous and hostile statements. Around he they'd already be showing him the door.

I suggest you extend an open invitation to all your co-workers to go shooting. I find the best come back for the "hunting" bullshit is twofold. 1. The second amendment isn't about hunting. The word is no where in there. 2. The second amendment is what makes all the others possible. Knowing the thoughts of the founding fathers its really quite interesting they felt freedom of speech, assembly and religion was only just a tad more important than the ablity to protect against a tyrannical government.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Does Pete have a boss?  If so, I'd have a sit-down, and complain about Pete contributing to a "hostile working environment."

+1, hostile work environment.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Go to a jeweler and hae a bullet engraved with your managers name on it.
Just kidding
Two cannibals eating a clown
"Hey does this taste funny to you?"
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#34]
You might tell Pete that just because all males in the U.K. seem to be emasculated at birth does not mean the "colonies" are going to follow suit.  Some of still prefer to enjoy our manhood over here.

Lifesaver
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Two cannibals eating a clown
"Hey does this taste funny to you?"

One cannibal is puking his guts out after eating. The other asks the first if the food was bad. The first one heaves again and says, "No, it was great! You just can't keep a good man down."
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#36]
You have to fire back at them. Report that guy who mentioned btk to HR for inappropriate comments.

Let's look at this...

A coworker expressed a concern about her husband's proposed activity--shooting with his friends.

You, having knowledge of such activity, and compared to the rest of the office, a degree of expertise, tried to put her fears to rest.

Pete the Sheep, ridiculing your ownership of firearms, which is enjoyed by more than 50% of the households in this country, also made a very slanderous and hurtful comment about you, comparing you to a serial killer.

You are the injured party here, and HR should certainly be having a serious talk with Pete.  Pete should do nothingless than a public apology.  And perhaps Pete's immigration status should be looked into?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#37]
OK, so color me the stupid on on this thread but
what is BTK?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
what is BTK?

www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/special_packages/btk/

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Somebody'd get their ass kicked for saying some stupid shit like "you're like BTK" around here...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#40]
The BTK remark was uncalled for and was without a doubt creating a hostile environment, since he has publicly grouped you with killers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#41]
offer to take the lady's husband shooting with you, and anyone who seems responsible and openminded, you gotta chip that wall of ignorance down brick by brick.
and if they wanna know about a hostile work environment, they should hear how the military talks amongst ourselves. About as foul mouthed as it gets.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
what is BTK?

He was an 87 year old clown.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Like others have said, you need document-document-document and then have a talk with Pete's boss and/or HR.  Demand a public apology.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#44]
You may have handled it better then you think.  I suggest letting it go.  If it comes up again just restate your companies guidelines on firearms and your commitment to keeping them.  You owe them nothing else.  

If you want to go farther then with Pete you might ask what part civilian ownership of firearms played in the fact we are Americans and not still British subjects?   Keep in mind some bosses cannot stand to be upstaged in front of the people who work for them and by winning you may lose.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
You have to fire back at them.  Report that guy who mentioned btk to HR for inappropriate comments.

No shit, that is LIBEL.  or maybe SLANDER, but either way it is wrong.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Does Pete have a boss?  If so, I'd have a sit-down, and complain about Pete contributing to a "hostile working environment."

Better yet, say good ole Pete made "unwanted sexual advances".
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#48]
No one at work knows I have have firearms, it's none of their business, and even when I hear a couple guys talking guns in the hallway, I don't participate in the discussion.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Dang!  I'd report it to HR as well, but with the comment that this is not so big of a problem as things stand now, but that you feel the need to clear the air, as the recent incident is "setting up" a hostile work environment if not immediately addressed.  

To say that it already IS a hostile environment puts the burden of proof on you to establish that your welbeing has been impacted.  He didn't directly "call" you a psychopathic murderer, just that you "remind" him of one.  The wuss could say that 'Well, BTK DID have firearms, and he WAS orderly and quiet' and that is the sum total of the resemblence.

It would seem wierd to me to work someplace that wasn't   firearms friendly.  In my neck of the woods we all take guns for granted just like any other mechanical tools or toys.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The BTK remark was uncalled for and was without a doubt creating a hostile environment, since he has publicly grouped you with killers.

Not just a killer, but a murdering, torturing psychopath. I can take a ribbing about owning guns, but the S would have immediately HTF if someone had tried to compare me to someone like that.

+1.  That crosses a line, and I'd not be inclined to let that go.  He'd appologise or I'd find new employment.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top