Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 8:04:13 AM EDT
I was at the range the other day, practicing defensive shooting. I was working on engaging a threat from contact distance: protect my head and neck with my weak arm, draw and fire from retention with my strong arm.

I had run through the drill several times, and on the fourth draw my Glock 19 went 'click' when I pulled the trigger. It was so unexpected that I stood frozen for a second or two before my training kicked in and I quickly tap, rack, banged and completed the drill.

Afterwards, I wanted to know what happened so I searched the ground for the round that didn't fire. I couldn't find anything, so I am guessing that the gun didn't chamber a round. This could be because I was shooting from retention and not a normal firing grip. This may have cause me to limp wrist it, I don't know.

The biggest lesson learned was that I need to practice failure drills more often, as my initial response of standing there looking confused could have gotten me killed in a fight. Second lesson is that that Glock 19 is not as infalible as I had thought, but in all fairness it is probably from shooting it in an awkward position

Thoughts, comments, questions?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#1]
[GlockHater]You should have thrown the gun at the target.[/GlockHater]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was at the range the other day, practicing defensive shooting. I was working on engaging a threat from contact distance: protect my head and neck with my weak arm, draw and fire from retention with my strong arm.

I had run through the drill several times, and on the fourth draw my Glock 19 went 'click' when I pulled the trigger. It was so unexpected that I stood frozen for a second or two before my training kicked in and I quickly tap, rack, banged and completed the drill.

Afterwards, I wanted to know what happened so I searched the ground for the round that didn't fire. I couldn't find anything, so I am guessing that the gun didn't chamber a round. This could be because I was shooting from retention and not a normal firing grip. This may have cause me to limp wrist it, I don't know.

The biggest lesson learned was that I need to practice failure drills more often, as my initial response of standing there looking confused could have gotten me killed in a fight. Second lesson is that that Glock 19 is not as infalible as I had thought, but in all fairness it is probably from shooting it in an awkward position

Thoughts, comments, questions?

there is your problem. only time I have never gotten my glocks to fire is by abnormal grip/limp wristing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the limpwrist.

Last weekend I was training with some people and a woman there was shooting her G17. She kept having malfunctions, and was blaming the ammo. Looking at her grip, her hand was very low on the gun and there was a lot of muzzle flip...

We got her grip deeper into the hand, basically more meat on the gun, solidified her stance a little, and all the malfunctions went away.

Your case sounds like it did a perfect short stroke, ejecting the spend case and missing the next live round. Or, your mag may have malfunctioned...though that is a VERY rare event for factory Glock mags.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I have never had a malfunction due to grip no matter how hard I've tried.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I had to hold/shoot it with my thumb and index finger to get my glock 23 to stovepipe.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Liar.  Glocks do not make a mistake.  Ever.

I have owned a Glock 19 for 2 weeks.  It has never failed me in dozens of rounds!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Bad round most likely. You probably just didn't see the round on the ground.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
[GlockHater]You should have thrown the gun at the target.[/GlockHater]

Or better yet make the bad guy fire it at his own risk LOL
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Interestinly enough, me either, though I have seen others manage to pull it off, and I've put about 25,000 rounds through my Glocks over the years.

I think it may be ammo related too. I shoot a lot of Winchester white box, which is about med power. I think the woman who I mentioned was using some other ammo, UMC or something...could have been slightly underpowered thus exaggerating the limp wrist effect...?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I am not a huge fan of the Glock but I do have one, but I've seen a rental Glock 17 at my now close indoor range Santa Anita Firing Range, Monrovia CA(10 miles east of Los Angeles) which has shot 500,000 rounds before the slide cracked and replaced.  The G17 had 750,000 official rounds through it when the range close.  They range people would only give the gun a cursory cleaning when customers complain of jamming, and that was few and far between.

In all of the excitement, are you sure that it was a gun problem?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#11]
better click than the usual sound....

tick.....tick.....tick.....tick....
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#12]
'Bang' is the second loudest sound in the world .....

'Click' is the first
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Shooting from retention, you may have had it so close the slide hit your clothing and interrupted the cycle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have owned a Glock 19 for 2 weeks.  It has never failed me in dozens of rounds!

So you bought it?  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you bought it?  

Oh yeah. I really like it too.  It is not as smooth and comfy at my Beretta 92 Vertec, but its does shoot quite nicely and mags are cheap and plentyful....as you can see.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I am guessing a light primer strike instead of a limp wristing problem.

I only have problems in my G21 when I use my hicap mags. The followers are differant, don't know if that could be it or not. The "glockarmorer" at the range looked at it and of course blamed my grip. My grip works find on my other glocks and that glock when I don't use the hi cap mags.

My G26 had 2 light primer strikes with winchester white box. The rounds fired when I sent them through again. This only happened with one box, hasn't happend since.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Shooting from retention, you may have had it so close the slide hit your clothing and interrupted the cycle.

Very good point! I hadn't thought of that. I didn't want to say "there is no way I limp wristed it" because it IS possible, but I really doubt that I did.

It probably did hit my clothing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
'Bang' is the second loudest sound in the world .....

'Click' is the first

I had always heard this as.......The two loudest sounds you will ever hear are a click when you expect a bang and a bang when you expect a click.

SRM
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#20]
The other possible cause could be your firing pin channel is gunked up. If it only happened once I would probably say limp wristing but it wouldn't hurt to pull the firing pin and clean out the channel.

Remember not to put any oil in there either if you do clean it out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought Glocks only go KABOOM?

/runs for cover...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top