Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 9:05:55 PM EDT
i do tree removal for a living.  we have squirrel nests all the time to remove when we take out trees.

well, its that time of year.... they are having lil bastard squirrel babys. actually, i cant help but to not hate them when they are little alien looking bastards.

anyways... we knocked a nest out of a tree today not knowing there was any in there, and 3 babies came out unable to move on their own... we picked the up with gloves on, and set them in the wooded area.  the mother was going nuts while this went on.

ive read rabbits will kill their babies in this event, if the bunnies smell like the people after you move them.  

will squirrels do this also or will they try to rescue / save them?

my guess is they are cat food by now... oh well, we tried.    so... will the mothers usually save the babies????
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Man you could of kept them and made your self a evil Squirrel army!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

with fricken lazer beams on their heads!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
just bring a microwave along, quick nutritious snacks while you're working
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i do tree removal for a living.  we have squirrel nests all the time to remove when we take out trees.

well, its that time of year.... they are having lil bastard squirrel babys. actually, i cant help but to not hate them when they are little alien looking bastards.

anyways... we knocked a nest out of a tree today not knowing there was any in there, and 3 babies came out unable to move on their own... we picked the up with gloves on, and set them in the wooded area.  the mother was going nuts while this went on.

ive read rabbits will kill their babies in this event, if the bunnies smell like the people after you move them.  

will squirrels do this also or will they try to rescue / save them?

my guess is they are cat food by now... oh well, we tried.    so... will the mothers usually save the babies????

Old Wives Tale
birds, bunnies, squirrels, will not kill thier young.  Maybe clean em if you really smell bad.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the whole idea of the mothers abandoning/killing, etc are nothing but rumor.  The only animal I know that will sometimes abandon their young if human scent is detected is black bears.

I handle babie rabbits all the time.  My daughter loves them.  We put them back in the nest and mom always comes back..
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think the whole idea of the mothers abandoning/killing, etc are nothing but rumor.  The only animal I know that will sometimes abandon their young if human scent is detected is black bears.

I handle babie rabbits all the time.  My daughter loves them.  We put them back in the nest and mom always comes back..

it is, it was invented by mothers so thier kids leave the poor bastards alone.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
<---------------------------------------------

Quoted:

Quoted:

with fricken lazer beams on their heads!

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, a friend of mine did that and the babies were dead later on...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
just bring a microwave along, quick nutritious snacks while you're working

Haha.  yummy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#10]
My cat just got a juvenile squirrel the other day...it was too big to called a baby, but not full grown.  It was rather freakish looking, actually.  All that was left after the Finnster started eating it was the tail, and what looked like the heart and liver.  Guess he needed fava beans and a nice chianti for that.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top