Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 6:14:59 PM EDT

Federal prosecutors may be pursuing a perjury case against San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds, stemming from his denials of steroid use during a federal grand jury appearance in 2003, multiple sources have told CNN.

For more than a month, a different federal grand jury has been hearing evidence about whether Bonds may have lied during his testimony on December 4, 2003, the sources told CNN.

The U.S. attorney's office in San Francisco would neither confirm nor deny that a grand jury has been hearing testimony about Bonds.

Bonds' lawyers were unaware that a grand jury had been convened, said Harry Stern, a spokesman for his legal team.

Bonds, who now ranks third in career home runs, has steadfastly maintained he never knowingly used steroids. He was one of several prominent athletes called to testify as part of an investigation into BALCO, a San Francisco Bay Area laboratory accused of distributing steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs.

At the time, Bonds and the other athletes were given immunity by federal prosecutors, provided they told the truth on the stand.

Bonds' attorney, Mike Raines, has previously accused prosecutors of trying to set Bonds up for a perjury charge by offering him immunity to get him in front of the grand jury, then later challenging his testimony.

BALCO's founder, Victor Conte, spent four months in jail after pleading guilty to distributing illegal steroids. Greg Anderson, a long-time friend of Bonds, was sentenced to three months in jail on the same charges.

Bonds' denials came under renewed scrutiny in March with the release of the book "Game of Shadows" by San Francisco Chronicle reporters Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams.

The book alleges Bonds used steroids and other performance enhancing drugs for at least five seasons, starting in 1998, and that Anderson -- his personal trainer -- helped him obtain the drugs.

Bonds has sued the authors to try to block them from making any money on the book, which his attorneys say was based on illegally obtained grand jury transcripts.

In the wake of the controversy over "Game of Shadows," Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig appointed George Mitchell, a former U.S. Senate majority leader and federal judge, to investigate steroid use in baseball.

I hope they lock that worthless fuck up, and wipe him clean out of the record books.  He is an insult to everyone who played the game clean.  IMO, if you test positive for roids, your career didnt exist.  you should be removed from every record book, stat chart, and anything else except the team roster with a big-as-all-shit * next to your name.  THAT would stop this shit quick.  Players don't care about fines or suspensions.  They care about their own personal achievment and records.  If you take that away, the roids will go away too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
IBN_T.  Oh wait...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]
They won't do anything to him, mark my words.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I made a post about him being a cheater long time ago and I got a royal flaming.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Can anybody just leave this guy alone?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The following is how much I give a damn if someone in professional (or any other level) sports used "performance enhancing" drugs..
Yep, could give less than a rat's ass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate that guy - I can remember when he was a skinny player for the Pirates.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

He made his bed, now he has to lie in it.

Why are you defending a cheater a liar and a thief?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Federal prosecutors may be pursuing a perjury case against San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds, stemming from his denials of steroid use during a federal grand jury appearance in 2003 <Snip>

Oh HELL yeah!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.  If he lied, then he's got serious problems-rightfully so.

HH
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thief?  liar?   When has he been convicted of these things you speak of?  Sorry, but I don't judge people based off of what the popular opinion of someone is.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope the Feds hang the lying, cheating prick.  He is a disgrace to Baseball.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thief?  liar?   When has he been convicted of these things you speak of?  Sorry, but I don't judge people based off of what the popular opinion of someone is.

You slay me!!!

Dont be so naiive.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You slay me!!!

Dont be so naive.

Don't be so naive?  What care in the world do I have about Barry Bonds?  He offers no significance in my life so I was not defending him to begin with.  It just seems that everyone is obsessed with getting Barry to admit to something he says he didn't do.  It seems a little ridiculous to me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, 40 year olds generally gain that much muscle and have their heads double in size.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing out of the ordinary

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I bet there are alot of Pro baseball players taking steroids. Why just pick on one guy?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I bet there are alot of Pro baseball players taking steroids. Why just pick on one guy?

More importantly, who gives a flying fuck?  If your life is so boring and un-fullfilling you have to obsess over whether or not someone who has no impact on your life what-so-ever used some illegal drugs, I think you're the one with the true problem.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#18]
He should be banned from baseball
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More importantly, who gives a flying fuck?  If your life is so boring and un-fullfilling you have to obsess over whether or not someone who has no impact on your life what-so-ever used some illegal drugs, I think you're the one with the true problem.

Wow, that's a stretch. We go from discussing current events to obsessing.

I detect some anger in your post. What's up?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Now where did I do with that thing???

I have one somewhere, dammit...

WHAY DID I DO WITH THAT RAT's ASS? I have one saved for just such and occassion
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm tired of hearing about it.  Like I said, whether he did/didn't use steroids doesn't effect my life one bit.  And it's not like that assclown DEA-agent, either, because although that doesnt' effect me it's at least entertaining.  Not to mention the fact that I don't consider steroids cheating, nor do I find anything wrong with cheating.  But that's a whole other bag of apples and I don't care to get into it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm tired of hearing about it.  Like I said, whether he did/didn't use steroids doesn't effect my life one bit.  And it's not like that assclown DEA-agent, either, because although that doesnt' effect me it's at least entertaining.  Not to mention the fact that I don't consider steroids cheating, nor do I find anything wrong with cheating.  But that's a whole other bag of apples and I don't care to get into it.

If you're tired of hearing about it why did you click on this thread? Or comment in it?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're tired of hearing about it why did you click on this thread? Or comment in it?

To make everyone aware of how silly I find the whole situation.  As far as I know it's the first time I've commented on it here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I hope they lock that worthless fuck up, and wipe him clean out of the record books.  He is an insult to everyone who played the game clean.  IMO, if you test positive for roids, your career didnt exist.  you should be removed from every record book, stat chart, and anything else except the team roster with a big-as-all-shit * next to your name.  THAT would stop this shit quick.  Players don't care about fines or suspensions.  They care about their own personal achievment and records.  If you take that away, the roids will go away too.

uh, that's just it...Bond has never tested positive.  

Baseball had NO policy on steroids whatsoever for years...and they only have one now 'cos Selig got worried that if they didn't do anything, Congress would take away their precious anti trust exemption.  The payoff??? They're called the Washington Nationals....and we had that one dog and pony show hearing about steroid use.  

Not only was steroid use rampant in baseball, but half the league was taking speed, depending on which former players you believe.  So.....you're gonna have to wipe out a LOT of records if you really want to cleanse the sport.  

Short a video of Bonds shooting up, or something similar, I don't know how the hell you could get an indictment, let alone a conviction, despite what's in that book.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I still dont get something. No one has been able to explain it to me.

If I get caught with an illegal drug, I am going in front of the man.

Baseball players get to break the law, then only (maybe) have to answer to the union?

Cheaters always lie, thats all they know. They lie so much, the believe it.

Looks like the video of him complaining about the way he has been trated is working, more and more steriod apologists coming out....

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Nothing out of the ordinary

i2.tinypic.com/vex2rm.jpg

Naaawwwwwwwww!  There's no 'roid use here, folks!  Wheaties, buiscits, gravy, brisk walks and spring water, that's all!  Move along!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top