Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 5:35:29 PM EDT
A few of my militaryy friends say they are being activated and are being told they are heading to Iraq or Iran.

Do we have bases in Iran already?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would Iran allow us to put a base on their soil given the current political climate?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The first strike against Iran ain't going to involve troops.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Why would Iran allow us to put a base on their soil given the current political climate?

Ya I know.  But why else would they be told to gear up for Iran?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have read a couple of places that our SF guys have been operating in the hinterlands of Iran with impunity (chasing BGs across the border, raiding camps, et c.) and that the place is crawling with US & UK spooks fomenting revolution.

The mullahs certainly wouldn't "let" us operate bases there, but it's not inconceivable that we have people there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If we were going to invade Iran with troops, why would they tell your guys, who in turn would tell you, who in turn would tell the world via the Internet?????
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, they were told to gear up for Iran.  Oh brother.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Exactly.

HH
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
As much as I want Iran neutralized, I really wish they'd just carpet-bomb the place. I'm sick of losing our troops in God-foresaken hellholes which would be better addressed by massive and very indiscrete bombing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

To make Iran think we're preparing for some sort of troop invasion when we really aren't......
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ya I know.  But why else would they bjavascript:document.frm.submit();
Submite told to gear up for Iran?

I think they are spec-o-lating

Sigh....If only that stupid peanut farmer had taken care of Iran when he should have, it wouldn't be a worry now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]

These are airforce guys.  Im sure Iran is already prepared for a war.  Iraq was waiting for weeks if not months before we ever got there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As much as I want Iran neutralized, I really wish they'd just carpet-bomb the place. I'm sick of losing our troops in God-foresaken hellholes which would be better addressed by massive and very indiscrete bombing.

There was a former General on FOX News today that said we need to move quickly and decisively or the Muslim world won't fear and respect us.  He advocated taking out the sights NOW and not waiting for the U.N. or world opinion to guide our thinking.

HH
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

These are airforce guys.  Im sure Iran is already prepared for a war.  Iraq was waiting for weeks if not months before we ever got there.

This absolutely defies logic!  If all your homies were fighter pilots, we might have something here, but we won't know that we are going to bomb Iran until after it already happened.  Trust me on that one!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There was a former General on FOX News today that said we need to move quickly and decisively or the Muslim world won't fear and respect us.  He advocated taking out the sights NOW and not waiting for the U.N. or world opinion to guide our thinking.

How unreasonable of the baby-killing warmonger!

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]

If all your homies were fighter pilots, we might have something here

Not far from it actually.  I didnt believe them at first but they kept insisting they were told Iran.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#17]
REEEEEALY creepy shit happened tuesday and yesterday.  as part of my ROTC class we had to construct a campaign plan against a certain country.  my country was columbia/venezuela and my buddy's was iran.  his precursor to war was iran declaring successful enrichment of uranium.  not 5 hours after giving the briefing in class, the story broke that iran had done just that.

my briefing was venezuela overthrows the gov't of columbia and invades panama, closing the canal to american and allied shipping.  the next day (in real life) the USN begins a show of force exercize off the coast of venezuela.... kinda eerie.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Any successful action against Iran will involve taking and holding the coastal province where 90% of their oil infrastructure, their missile forces, their ability to project power into the straight and against our allies (Kuwait, Qattar, etc.) is located.

Anyone who thinks we can simply bomb them without consequence doesn't understand the situation.

I too expect our initial attack will be by air, but I actually think a coordinated strike makes the most sense. If we just start with airstrikes we give them an opportunity to respond by considerably reducing the global oil supply.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if this admin. is smart enough to pull off an Iran campaign without F'ing it up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This is the funnist thing I have read here in a while.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I imagine there will be a lot of personnel moved to the middle east, prior to airstrikes on Iran.

If they make it public, then Iran has an opportunity to take us seriously. Just remember that Iran's leaders want a war.

Hopefully, the Iranian opposition will make an opportunity to replace the president and his cronies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If all your homies were fighter pilots, we might have something here

Not far from it actually.  I didnt believe them at first but they kept insisting they were told Iran.

I think they're having some fun with you.  This mission would be so top secret that they would be called into a briefing room, told of the mission, and would be on their way.  There wouldn't be time (or means) to notify you in advance.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
REEEEEALY creepy shit happened tuesday and yesterday.  as part of my ROTC class we had to construct a campaign plan against a certain country.  my country was columbia/venezuela and my buddy's was iran.  his precursor to war was iran declaring successful enrichment of uranium.  not 5 hours after giving the briefing in class, the story broke that iran had done just that.

my briefing was venezuela overthrows the gov't of columbia and invades panama, closing the canal to american and allied shipping.  the next day (in real life) the USN begins a show of force exercize off the coast of venezuela.... kinda eerie.

Is your name Ender? What's your game, anyway?

Nick
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]
My boy just got deployed, and I have a feeling it isn't to help babysit Iraq.

GM
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Good idea...we should call it Linebacker 3, round the clock B52s from Diego Garcia
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#26]
by chance does he work with a wing?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Is this the same guy who had the buddy from D.C (big wig pentagon type) that swore we would be in Iran (at war) by the end of March?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#28]

by chance does he work with a wing?

Yes he does.

Is this the same guy who had the buddy from D.C (big wig pentagon type) that swore we would be in Iran (at war) by the end of March?

Nope not me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I heard it from an 82nd rigger tonite.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Rumors in the military, especially about war, are just rumors...

The question for me is - will 2ID go on goddamn alert if the US attacks Iran, and where will I have to come scrambling back from if they do?

Oh well, if we do I just might get to see a real live war in my first term (I wanted Iraq, I got Korea... Hmm... Oh well, at least I'll leave here with a pilot's license)...

I'll believe another war when I see it - too close to election time to do anything 'major'....
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Strange...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Strange...

Clearly one of Karl Rove's lackies is in your class.  

I suggest your next project involving nuking from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]
It  would have to start out  with a extremely large air campaign, and last a few months
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#34]
* note to self*----check shipment of AR parts ASAP.......and buy more ammo
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I thought they were the last to know!

The second half of this year is going to be interesting. IIRC Iran also said they'd support terror attacks against the US anywhere- including mainland US. I can't remember where I read that but it is something to keep in mind. Iran's the world's biggest terror sponsor. They could make it happen.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Because the Pentagon has contingency plans for over 300 possible conflicts at any given time.  If they even think that they MIGHT invade Iran, the contingency plan probably calls for a build-up near the Iranian border MONTHS in advance.  This does not necessarily mean that an invasion is imminent, it could just be a means of applying political pressure by show of force.

This is just my best guess, but I'm sure I'm pretty close to right on this.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe all the hype is allowed to be on us so it will be more of a suprise when Israel hits them.  They have before, and everyone knows the leader of Iran wants them decimated.  If they do hit first, they odviously do so knowing we will back them up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#38]
... I suspect we won't see action in Iran until October of this year
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
... I suspect we won't see action in Iran until October of this year

I'll bet it will be much sooner than we think.    
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#41]
No US led war in Iran.

Between Iraq, A-Stan, and huge amounts of domestic civil unrest I dont see the USA commiting to a ground war in Iraq.

UN led coalition or nothing. If nothing else, the Irsaeli army will deal with Iran one way or another
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
No US led war in Iran.

Between Iraq, A-Stan, and huge amounts of domestic civil unrest I dont see the USA commiting to a ground war in Iraq.

UN led coalition or nothing. If nothing else, the Irsaeli army will deal with Iran one way or another

So many people use this as an excuse why the US will not start something.   I think we will be surprised.   It won't involve boots on the ground, but a large air campaign, alla Clinton/Kosovo.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No US led war in Iran.

So many people use this as an excuse why the US will not start something.   I think we will be surprised.   It won't involve boots on the ground, but a large air campaign, alla Clinton/Kosovo.

Let me correct what I wrote "I dont see the USA commiting to a ground war in Iran."

Not going to happen. A a ground a war isnt needed anyway. Air campaign on their reactors and this is over. Israel will do it if we dont, no question
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a WAG here, but I'm guessing  they might be pursuaded in much the same way that Sadam was

[godfather]  I'll give you an offer that you can't refuse [/godfather]

In all seriousness, the military has almost as much B.S. as arfcom.  

"gearing up for Iran"  means
"be ready for anything, anywhere"

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a WAG here, but I'm guessing  they might be pursuaded in much the same way that Sadam was

I think you can understand that thats not the context in which the comment was made. Of course land can be seized through military action.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Best guesstimate,how many cruise misslies do we have,and are they still in production?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#47]
We need to send Hillary Kling-On, Dingy Harry Reid and Ted "the swimmer" Kennedy (along with a crap load of other libs and RINOS) on a fact finding mission to Iran to check out the libs point of view on this whole charade, then while they are there bomb the enire country into oblivion.

As Fred Bear said "It will cleanse their souls".
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Too late, they have already sold out like India Pakistan and all the rest.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Matthew 24:6 - And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top