Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 3:28:53 PM EDT
This belongs to a co-worker of mine.  What background I have been able to get from the current owner was that it was brought back by his Grandfather from Germany during WW2.  His Grandfather killed the previous owner and assumed ownership of the sidearm.

After the war, it was apparently popular to Nickel Plate weapons and this was done to it then.

For starters, he has offered to sell it to me.  I have no idea what the value of this sidearm is.

I took photos of any and all markings I could find.

Thank you in advance....

Buckmaw

This last photo is of the Nazi Proofs.  There are 3 proofs, each with a 555 under it.

Sorry for the quality of the photos, this was a suprise for me and only had my camera phone.

Thanks again...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]

I saw a bring back a couple of years ago of a 1923 Commercial 08 in excellent condition, with matching numbers, 2 non matching mags with a holster and loading tool with SN to match the pistol.  It was for sale at $1100 then.  Bring backs in original condition go for 1200+ all day long now.  

I would think the plating would kill any historical interest, so I would guess $500 or so.  The plating looks well done from your pictures, though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Any collector's value is gone, but just a shooter is still worth $400 or so.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
that looks like a gorgeous gun!  i hope you have fun with it
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
500 top dollar.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
My Dad had a German sidearm bringback from WWII that was still packed in grease, never issued or fired.  Got stolen when our house was robbed in '76.  That gun would be mine now  (Have no idea what it was, I was only 12 when it got stolen, not a Luger though).

He also had the cool tanker/gunner range-finder that looked like a tube with leather padding on each end.  I played with that thing alot as a kid, but he sold it 20 years ago
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Any collector's value is gone, but just a shooter is still worth $400 or so.

+1

A shiney shooter is all it is now. Otherwise, it would've been $1000+, easy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
A genuine German bringback is generally worth some serious money, but the nickel plating will turn off some collectors.

Now if you keep some documentation of the soldier who brought it home, how he brought it home and all the other neat historical info about the gun you can find, you might find a collector who will pay more money for it.

If the weapon is in excellent mechanical condition, then I would say anywhere from 400 to 500 bucks is a pretty fair offer.

Lugers are neat.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A genuine German bringback is generally worth some serious money, but the nickel plating will turn off some collectors.

Now if you keep some documentation of the soldier who brought it home, how he brought it home and all the other neat historical info about the gun you can find, you might find a collector who will pay more money for it.

If the weapon is in excellent mechanical condition, then I would say anywhere from 400 to 500 bucks is a pretty fair offer.

Lugers are neat.

I have been looking for a place where I can find out who made it and in what year.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
If my grandfather brought a luger home from WW2 it would be cold day in hell before I sold it
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have been looking for a place where I can find out who made it and in what year.

There are several Luger books out there that should have this sort of information.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Possibly dumb question..............

Not to try to fool anyone, but is it possible to get rid of the nickel plating and re-blue the Luger?
That would restore at least the correct look.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not to try to fool anyone, but is it possible to get rid of the nickel plating and re-blue the Luger?

The nickel can be stripped I believe, but it's an expensive process from what I recall.

I could be wrong though.

Balming
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Anything is possible if you want to spend enough money...

You could just go buy a shooter grade WWII Luger and come out cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The following folks strip nickel I believe:

www.techplate.com/firearms_pl.htm
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Its a BYF (Mauser code) 41, made in the early part of WWII. Has been buffed to the point  of abuse, nickled, other than a souvenir/shooter it has no value. Grips are also not original. Untouched original all matching 90% condition BYFs run in the $900 - $1200 range. That's about a $400 gun.

rk
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The nickel can be stripped I believe, but it's an expensive process from what I recall.

I could be wrong though.

Balming

If it was polished before it was plated, it will never be the same. Some features may have been smoothed out to the point where the original lines aren't quite the same... I'd say it would be a really nice shooter as-is, and leave it at that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know where you can buy a replica new lugar?  I'm love to have one just to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#18]
41 is the year of manufacture,
Manufacture is most likely MAUSER,
Im betting it has a "BYF" code stamp on the rear portion of the toggle, (its one of the more common variations)
The sn# is 3272 and as such almost every little part should be stamped with a 72 if its not a mixmaster.
"555" stamp is most likely misread. it prob got a "6"55 stamp instead.
That indicates either a 3rd rich army test proof or plane ole army aceptance stamp depending in the variation of  stamp. The more stamps it has the easier it is to identify the history of it.

i think 3-450 is a safe offer.    Its pretty much lost its collector value persay.
i say get some new grips for it, reblue it and make it pretty.

so ya can have even more fun with it.  

A nickle plated luger is an abomination to the gun gods.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Anyone know where you can buy a replica new lugar?  I'm love to have one just to shoot.

about 10 or so years ago stoger was making stainless steel lugers. Their still floating around if ya look hard enough.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Your friend should be ashamed of himself for selling off his family history! (even if it is dressed up like a pimp gun) I never understood how people can just call items that belonged to their grandparents/ancestors junk. If you are not starving, then I don't see an excuse. I suppose that I am just a history nut, but you have to know where you came from to see where you are going. How will his kids feel later on in life when they are told the story of how their Dad sold off their Great Grandfather's WWII captured weapon for $400? It is wrong. I have the story of the sale of my Grandfather's 1903 Springfield as a reminder. Although, I do buy WWII items from people stupid enough to get rid of their family heirlooms. I bought a WWII Japanese Type 99 Arisaka rifle with all matching numbers in excellent condition from a guy last month for a little over $100. His Grandfather had brought it back from the Pacific. What an idiot!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is a G Date Luger I did that was really bad.  It had a chrome plated top and a blued pitted frame from another Luger.  Here are three before pictures and two after pictures to see the transformation.  A nice rust blued Luger with strawed and fire blued small parts as per original specs.members.rennlist.com/lugerman/CCGDateB1.jpg

members.rennlist.com/lugerman/CCGDateB2.jpg

members.rennlist.com/lugerman/CCGDateB3.jpg

members.rennlist.com/lugerman/CCGDateA1.jpg

members.rennlist.com/lugerman/CCGDateA2.jpg
Contact me at [email protected] for more infor or see my website at
members.rennlist.com/lugerman/
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey Thor,

Axl aka Roadkill
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

NIB models are no longer made. The last ones made were stainless steel, Stoeger, IIRC?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I need to get a shooter grade Luger...

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Prior to the nickle plate it was quite valuable.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It is on top of the toggle and receiver ring.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#28]
And the Lugerforum.com can be a great place to find info.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#29]
As of March 28, 2006 AIMCO was still making Stainless Steel Lugers. I got this off another forum that day.

"I spoke with Mr. Romo today. Aimco is still producing a limited quantity of lugers and they cost $695 brand new in the box. They also do repairs.

He is still making these guns and very few people know it
I almost want to take up a collection to run ads for him in a couple of shooting mags.

The 45 project is still far off because he ran out of money for development

His address and phone number is still the same.

AIMCO INC.
915 Boundary St.
Houston TX 77009

Phone# (713) 305-8540

Also because the large group of shooter Lugers that were coming into the country in around 2003 have basically dried up, so the price of original Lugers is going up...again.  Look at Simpsons LTD and you can see what original Lugers are going for.  Even a Military Luger that has been professionally restored is selling from $1300-$1700 on that site.  An original Luger is a great investment.  AIMCO is making a very few Stainless ones now but who knows they might kick up production sometime.   Mitchell and STOEGER were past American made Stainless Lugers FWIW.
Howdy my friend ROADKILL, I assume your real initials are RG?  DANKE DUDE!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Are AIMCO quality Lugers?

How do they compare to Mitchell ones?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Its a BYF (Mauser code) 41, made in the early part of WWII. Has been buffed to the point  of abuse, nickled, other than a souvenir/shooter it has no value. Grips are also not original. Untouched original all matching 90% condition BYFs run in the $900 - $1200 range. That's about a $400 gun.

rk

Bingo, Axl is spot on...too bad too, but back in the day, the vets who brought 'em back didn't care...I've seen lots of souvenir pistols killed by plating them, and replacing the grips, especially with clear plexiglas...what is up with that? My Grandfather replced the grips on his bringback Luger with clear ones (I don't have it, my Uncle does, but I've seen it) and I have a bringback Model 1922 Belgian Browning in the original Luft drop holster with papers brought back by a family friends father (he never knew his father had it, found it after the father died...did not want it in the house with kids, so sold it to me...) did the same damn thing! Luckily, he had the original grips still with it!

But that Luger now alas would only be "valuable" for sentimental reasons...its just a shooter now...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top