Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 3:20:20 PM EDT
Here is the results of my MRI/Xray. I go see a doctor Tuesday for this. It does not read too bad as far as I can tell. That numbness in my right thump and the finger next to it is getting worse.

MRI OF THE CERVICAL SPINE WITH AND WITHOUT CONTRAST
3/29/06
CLINICAL HISTORY: RIGHT CERVICAL RADICULOPATHY
TECHNIQUE:
High resolution sagittal images of the entire cervical spine were obtained using the neck array coil with T1 weighted and T2 weighted fast spin echo technique. Axial T2* weighted gradient echo images with MAST.MTC were also obtained to include C2-3 through C7-T1 interventional disc space levels.
REFERENCE STUDY: Cervical spine radiographs 3/29/06.
FINDINGS: No significant marrow replacing lesion detected in the vertebral bodies or pedicles from C2-T5. Cervical and included thoracic cord appear intact. No syringohydromyelia or Chiari malformation. No intradural lesion or central spinal stenosis.
There is no enhancing leptomeningeal disease or breakdown of the blood-cord barrier following intravenous contrast administration. Cervical disc show desiccation, consistent with disc degeneration.
Axial images at C2-3 demonstrate no disc herniation or protrusion. There is mild asymmetric uncinate hypertrophy on the left at C3 with potential mild impingement on the exit foramen.
C3-4 disc shows asymmetric left posterolateral abnormal convexity consistent with a broadbased posterior disc protrusion. There is asymmetric effacement of the epidural fat in the left lateral recess and in the left C3-4 intervertebral canal, which could produce impingement on the exiting left C4 nerve root. This would not likely explain the provided history of right cervical radiculopathy, however.
C4-5 disc also shows mild abnormal posterior convexity, centrally and to a mild extent asymmetrically on the left. There is no right sided posterior disc protrusion or herniation at C4-5 or significant impingement on the right C5 nerve root. There is potential mild impingement on the left C5 nerve root.
At C5-6 there is a degenerative disc with vertical height narrowing and desiccation, and mild abnormal posterior convexity of the disc margin. There is symmetrical effacement of the epidural fat in the lateral recesses and potential bilateral C6 nerve root impingement.
At C6-7 and C7-T1 there is no lateralizing disc herniation or focal disc protrusion or neural impingement demonstrated.
READING:
1. MILD CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS.
2. DEGENERATIVE C3-4 DISC WITH ASYMMETRIC IMPINGEMENT ON THE LEFT.
3. NO ASYMMETRIC LATERALIZING DISC HERNIATION DETECTED ON THE RIGHT.

They say I said numbness in my right shoulder but it was pain in my right shoulder and elbow.

CERVICAL SPINE COMPLETE WITH FLEXION AND EXTENSION VIEWS 3/29/06
CLINICAL HISTORY: NUMBNESS OF THE RIGHT SHOULDER , ARMS AND FINGERS. NO COMPARISON EXAM.
FINDINGS: There is mild to moderate C5-6 disc degeneration. The C7 on T1 interspace is not imaged on any of the lateral views to a satisfactory degree. The cervical vertebral body alignment is normal. There is no prevertebral soft tissue swelling or fracture identified. The neural foramen are widely patent.
There is minimal neural foraminal narrowing on the left at C3-4.
IMPRESSION:
1. MINIMAL NEURAL FORAMINAL NARROWING ON THE RIGHT AT C3-4.
2. DISC DEGENERATION AT C5-6.
3. C7 ON T1 INTERSPACE IS NOT IMAGED ON THIS STUDY.
4. OTHERWISE NO ACUTE CERVICAL SPINE ABNORMALITY NOTED.

What do you think? Just a case of getting old?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
you gonna die...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Dibs on your guns........

P.S.- Hope everything goes well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have numbness, you have nerve impingement.

5 yrs. ago I had a ruptured disc, C5-6. Instant pain across shoulder and down arm. After a few hours it was fairly severe and unrelenting pain. After a few days total numbness in thumb, index finger, up into wrist and grip strength was 50%.

Had steroids, traction, and PT. Strength is OK now, still have decreased sensation in thumb and index finger.

Sounds like you have degeneration, narrowing of nerve outlet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I fellowship trained in interventional pain management, I see this all the time.
First of all, take no advice from the internet.
Secondly, it seems that you have impingement at the C6 level with symptoms at that dermatome.
I would advise you to get a referral to see an anesthesiologist who is board certified in interventional pain management. He may be able to alleviate your symptoms with a series of injections.
If the injections don't do the trick or your symptoms get worse (such as hand weakness in addition to numbness), you may need to be evaluated by a neurosurgeon for a decompression.
Regardless, go an see a qualified physician who can evaluate you and your films IN PERSON.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I fellowship trained in interventional pain management, I see this all the time.
First of all, take no advice from the internet.Secondly, it seems that you have impingement at the C6 level with symptoms at that dermatome.
I would advise you to get a referral to see an anesthesiologist who is board certified in interventional pain management. He may be able to alleviate your symptoms with a series of injections.
If the injections don't do the trick or your symptoms get worse (such as hand weakness in addition to numbness), you may need to be evaluated by a neurosurgeon for a decompression.
Regardless, go an see a qualified physician who can evaluate you and your films IN PERSON.
Good luck.

Hmmm.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
First of all, take no advice from the internet.Secondly, it seems that you have impingement at the C6 level with symptoms at that dermatome.
Good luck.

Hmmm.

He means all you jackballs that aren't docs
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#7]
uhmmm.... more history if you 're wanting an interpretation....

for what it's worth, many people have MRI's that show disc herniations, buldges, etc. some with protrusion into the spinal canal, who don't show symptoms.

got thumb and index finger numbness and tingling? got checked for tendonitis/carpal tunnel?
take your wrist, tap the front side of it. any pain? take your arm, flex at elbow, take 2nd hand and bend 1st hand all the way back and hold it there. any increase in numbness?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top