Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 10:38:35 AM EDT
Currently writing a paper for a law class dealing with the New Orleans Gun consfiscations.  The first 5-7 pages are due tommorow so those will be posted soon.  Here's the outline so far:

Liberty and its Existence in Cases of National Emergency
In my paper I will be exploring the legal issues surrounding the gun confiscations in New Orleans following the wake of Hurricane Katrina.  My paper will include an in- depth analysis of the order placed by the New Orleans government, as well as an exploration into the constitutionality of such confiscations.  This analysis will include going into detail of the mayor’s actions and the injunction passed by the federal district court in charge of the eastern district of Louisiana and the contempt of court case involving the major’s actions against this injunction.

In my paper I will be exploring the legal issues surrounding the gun confiscations in New Orleans following the wake of Hurricane Katrina.  My paper will include an in- depth analysis of the order placed by the New Orleans government, as well as an exploration into the constitutionality of such confiscations.  This analysis will include going into detail of the mayor’s actions and the injunction passed by the federal district court in charge of the eastern district of Louisiana and the contempt of court case involving the major’s actions against this injunction.

A. The Second Amendment – a history of interpretation
1. National Firearms Act (United States v. Miller)
2. Gun Control Act (1968)
3. Barrett v. United States
4. Lewis v. United States
B. Facts of the Present Case
1. Mayor authorized seizures of weapons following Katrina
2. NRA brought suit in US district court
3. Injunction was passed down saying no more seizures and that weapons must be returned
4. Seizures continued
5. Contempt of Court
C. Analysis of the Actions Made
1.   Issue – Government’s right to take weapons?
2.   Reasons for Injunction – analysis of both sides’ arguments
3.   Contempt of court hearing
D.  Possible Aftereffects
1.   Strengthened resolve in the 2nd Amendment
2.   Possible Weakening of Miller v. United States
E.  Conclusion and summary

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Currently writing a paper for a law class dealing with the New Orleans Gun consfiscations.  The first 5-7 pages are due tommorow so those will be posted soon.  Here's the outline so far:

A. The Second Amendment – a history of interpretation
1. National Firearms Act (United States v. Miller)
2. Gun Control Act (1968)
3. Barrett v. United States
4. Lewis v. United States
B. Facts of the Present Case
1. Mayor authorized seizures of weapons following Katrina
2. NRA brought suit in US district court
3. Injunction was passed down saying no more seizures and that weapons must be returned
4. Seizures continued
5. Contempt of Court
C. Analysis of the Actions Made
1.   Issue – Government’s right to take weapons?
2.   Reasons for Injunction – analysis of both sides’ arguments
3.   Contempt of court hearing
D.  Possible Aftereffects
1.   Strengthened resolve in the 2nd Amendment
2.   Possible Weakening of Miller v. United States
E.  Conclusion and summary

Looks good to me.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
dupe
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
dupe

Bzzzzt. Wrong.
Here's your dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top