Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 7:57:31 AM EDT
I have a friend who was convicted of a non-violent felony.  She is trying to get her gun rigths back so she can go hunting again.  Does anybody have any experience with dealing with the ATF on this matter?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to deal with Govenor's office to get a pardon not the ATF.

You will need a lawyer to help guide you through the process.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Federal or state felony?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Federal felony
"Drug conspiracy"

She has a letter of recomendation from the arresting officer and her parol officer
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Federal felony
"Drug conspiracy"

She has a letter of recomendation from the arresting officer and her parol officer

IMHO, shes probably toast
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Federal felony
"Drug conspiracy"

If I'm not mistaken, only a Presidential pardon will negate a federal felony.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#7]
The local sheriff told her that montana considers her ok to have a gun and go hunting.  But a whole other story on a federal level.  So as long as the ATF doesnt come knocking at her door she would be alright.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The local sheriff told her that montana considers her ok to have a gun and go hunting.  But a whole other story on a federal level.  So as long as the ATF doesnt come knocking at her door she would be alright.

umm yeah, she'll be just fine, she should go buy a gun...

I'd leave it alone if I were you, that sucks for your friend, but I'd wash my hands of it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Im not looking to get involved im just looking for information.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

talk to her about the benefits of bow and arrow huntin.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#11]
You can get your federal gun rights restored by getting a "Certificate of Relief from Disabilities" from the BATF. The kicker here is that Congress removed funding for that program and the BATF won't process them anymore. I heard of a gundealer from Texas getting one under some special circumstances but from what I hear it's very unusual. Each state has their own procedure so you'd have to check with state authorities. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

talk to her about the benefits of bow and arrow huntin.  

+1

I hear blow gun stalking is growing in popularity as well.

a well-placed nostril or ocular shot is key

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The federal government does not consider muzzle-loading rifles to be "firearms" at this time, so she could probably hunt with a good muzzle-loader.  She should talk with an experienced firearms lawyer about all this though so her bases are all covered.  The trick could indeed be the propellant and primers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top