Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2001 9:43:49 PM EDT
Will US Postal and/or FEDEX handle it, or just UPS?

Does it have to be in a hard case, or just a strong cardboard box?

Does a firearm have to be "declared" with the shipper?

Thanks for any input, the shippers have been less than forthcoming about there policies, and it's getting to be a real hassle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You may want to take it to a local FFL and have them ship it for you.  They should know the ins and outs of shipping firearms since they do it all the time.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I ship many guns through the US Mail. You do have to declare it as a firearm and fill out their form 1508. Usually the mail clerk will give you some grief the first time you try it but don't hesitate to have them get their supervisor. Have them get out their copy of the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) and look up shipping of restricted items. All the form 1508 does is verify you are shipping a firearm to a person who can legally receive it. You can also do some advance work and download the DMM pages that pertain to shipping firearms from the Post Office website. [url]www.usps.com[/url] Have them give you an extra copy of the form 1508 so you can make copies for the next time you need to ship a gun. On heavier guns UPS is still cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
We like UPS. You don't need to go through an FFL to send a firearm to a factory or bona fide gunsmith.
View Quote

I hope you're not implying that the U.S. Postal Service only deals with FFL holders. Any individual who is not otherwise legally prohibited from possessing firearms and is not an FFL holder, may ship long guns to a valid FFL holder. This is in the Domestic Mail Manual as mentioned by buster (handguns are only FFL to FFL). I have done this many, many times and have found the Postal Service to be far more reliable and less troublesome than the morons with UPS in Oklahoma City. UPS, at least locally, opens and inspects all, and I mean all, firearm and firearm related packages presented to them for shipment. Their little bonehead manager absolutely refuses to have an adult, professional conversation regarding this or a litany of other chickenshit things that they do here locally. ArmaLite might like UPS, but I don't and I go to specific lengths to avoid giving them any of my money, directly or indirectly. UPS has been the only carrier that has attempted to give me a hard time concerning my status as an FFL holder; the Post Office has been very agreeable, believe it or not. The only packages that I've ever had lost, misdelivered, damaged, or pilfered were UPS shipped packages. I am [b][i]NOT[/i][/b] a UPS fan.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]
M4Madness,

You should be careful about not declaring the package has a gun in it for a couple of reasons. First, the mail carrier may leave the package on the door step of the person you sent it to and someone may steal it. Second, if something does happen to the package, either theft or damage, you will have to make a claim against the Postal Service for the loss. When they find out you were shipping undeclared firearms you and the person you shipped it to will at the very least be subjected to an intense unwanted investigation. If either one of you winds up being inelligible to own the gun big trouble will ensue. The Postal Service may also deny your claim for damage.

Jim_Dandy,

The Postal Service is not for FFL holders only. The form 1508 only states you are shipping the gun to an individual that can legally receive the gun. That includes FFL to FFL, or to a gunsmith, for warranty repairs, and some family to family transactions. I am also not a big fan of UPS and only use them when it saves me money.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#8]
The Postal Service is not for FFL holders only. The form 1508 only states you are shipping the gun to an individual that can legally receive the gun. That includes FFL to FFL, or to a gunsmith, for warranty repairs, and some family to family transactions.
View Quote

If you'd read my earlier post, you'd see that I was stating this.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
No special form is "required." A simple statement to the effect of, "Enclosed is a brand X rifle/shotgun/receiver serial number XXXXX that is being shipped to blah-blah-blah a Federal Firearms Licensee. I do hereby declare that it is not a Class III weapon and there are no munitions of any type contained herein. Signed, Me." I've done this close to a dozen times over the past six months at more than one post office and even more times prior to that. No special forms and no aggravation as with the morons at the local UPS counter.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I required an ink-signed copy of the FFL prior to shipping the rifle.
View Quote

As an individual and non FFL holder, it is not required for you to get a signed ink copy of the FFL that your sending the weapon to.  Not a bad idea, but not required.  I've never used USPS to send firearms and have alway used UPS.  UPS has never given me grief over shipping a weapon, and that's here in NoCal or KA to you folks...
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Great replies guys, thanks. Knew I could count on you. You are as reliable as death and taxes!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Just checked with Fedex, they said they will ship, as long as the shipper or reciever is a FFL holder.  I know they are more $$ but I get a special price, and the local UPS office is slow and moronic.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Some people must have trouble reading plain English.

Form 1508 is only for use by Manufacturers or Dealers of firearms.

Period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top