Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2006 6:32:13 AM EDT
Every year my town has a shooting contest called the 1000 yard TV shoot.  Pretty self explanitory, they put a TV [typically about a 25"] a thousand yards out and for $20 bucks you get a chance at shooting it [1 shot].  Those that hit the TV get a portion of the pot.  

Last year I hit the TV but hit it low.  I did get close to 300 bucks though!  I took my 340 weatherby and sighted it in dead on at 500 yards and then aimed high.  I guess I should have aimed higher so I would have hit it centered.

I'm not competing this year but thought I would toss this up for ideas on how to hit a target at such distance.  The shoot is this Saturday.

Patty
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Every year my town has a shooting contest called the 1000 yard TV shoot.  Pretty self explanitory, they put a TV [typically about a 25"] a thousand yards out and for $20 bucks you get a chance at shooting it [1 shot].  Those that hit the TV get a portion of the pot.  

Last year I hit the TV but hit it low.  I did get close to 300 bucks though!  I took my 340 weatherby and sighted it in dead on at 500 yards and then aimed high.  I guess I should have aimed higher so I would have hit it centered.

I'm not competing this year but thought I would toss this up for ideas on how to hit a target at such distance.  The shoot is this Saturday.

Patty

Set elevation for the furthest out you can, then do the math and make corrections for 1000 yds. Windage will be tough that is a good distance to travel, so wind and temp etc....That all comes into play.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
tag for result
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd love to give it a try with my Mosin.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are you kidding?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't think my .22 or .38 would get there.

I tried one year with my AR.  I think if I had some heavier loads I might have gotten it.  Its hard to say.  I had open sights then and I aimed really high.  I think I pulled a little to the left too but it was windy that day.  Hard to say.

Patty
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you kidding?

I would venture that he is not.  I would try it with a Mosin or a, 8mm Mauser.  The sights are graduated for it.  So it shoots 1 MOA that would be 10" at 1000 yds at a 25" TV.  

Plus if you could pull that off you would need a tactical wheel barrow to carry your balls home.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Patty, that sounds like fun! I can imagine what an uproar of the sheeple and the gun grabbers this would create if they did this in CT. Since most of the cities and towns here have ordinances about discharging firearms. I gotta move.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'd give it a whirl with my K31 or SVT-40
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#10]
You must have good eyes. How did you even see it at 1000 yards???
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It'd be fun with a Garand, I think the sights are graduated out to 1200 yards.  So 1000 should be easy, right?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as MIL-SURPS go I would say the K31 would be the best suited.  The surplus ammo is match grade and the balistics are really good.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:07:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I could maybe do it with my Finn Mosin m39 it would have to be 90% luck. Given perfect conditions, the sights and the bullet would get me there. But I've never targeted anything out that far, so like I said 90% luck.

-JTP
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you kidding?

The rear sight is graduated out to 2,000 meters, although I'd have to find something close to the original military loads for which it was graduated (does Wolf FMJ work in that role?).

Quoted:
Plus if you could pull that off you would need a tactical wheel barrow to carry your balls home.

Well, hell, I already do
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn, you guys have all the fun... I would give it a whirl with my PSS, or is that considered cheating
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as MIL-SURPS go I would say the K31 would be the best suited.  The surplus ammo is match grade and the balistics are really good.

certainly, I still need to work up a load for the SVT to see how accurate it really is.  considering it was shooting 3moa with czech surplus I think it should be good to go with handloads
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#17]
24" bbl'd AR15 shooting 77grn SMK (hot-loads), you'll need around 35 minutes of elevation from your 100 yard zero, (note: this is in good air or lite wind conditions; windage for the shot will require on-site/at the time of the shot doping, but the elevation should be within 1/2 min up or down).

Suggest ya have a mil-dot scope, for the windage adjustment.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Patty, that sounds like fun! I can imagine what an uproar of the sheeple and the gun grabbers this would create if they did this in CT. Since most of the cities and towns here have ordinances about discharging firearms. I gotta move.

Yes, it is rather comical that the town is actually the ones promoting this contest.

I can see the TV at 1000 yards but I can't see where my bullet hit unless it actually hit the TV, then I can hear it and see the impact.  When I shot at it with my AR [I tried twice with my AR] My husband watched with the spotting scope.  When I shot with my Weatherby, I had a scope on it.

I should say that this is done out on a local farmers ranch.  Not in town!

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you kidding?

The rear sight is graduated out to 2,000 meters, although I'd have to find something close to the original military loads for which it was graduated (does Wolf FMJ work in that role?).

Quoted:

Well, hell, I already do

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Look online for the ballistics info on whatever caliber you are using, then try to adjust your scope for 1000 yds.  If you don't have that much adjustment, get as close as you can and use Kentucky Windage to make up for the rest of the drop.

The main thing you need to do is figure out exactly how much the bullet will drop at that distance.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Look online for the ballistics info on whatever caliber you are using, then try to adjust your scope for 1000 yds.  If you don't have that much adjustment, get as close as you can and use Kentucky Windage to make up for the rest of the drop.

The main thing you need to do is figure out exactly how much the bullet will drop at that distance.

Is there any literature on that already produced?  My husband reloads.  I know he adds a tinc extra to our AR loads and I have no idea what he does for the weatherby.  

Fat McNasty sent me some hot bullets for my AR that David loaded for me.  However they're inconsistance in size so I would suspect they would be difficult to predict.  

I guess it doesn't matter, I can't compete this year anyway.  Its hard not to get excited about it though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Could you figure that from velocity, distance, and gravitational acceleration, or would the air resistance fuck that figure up?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there any literature on that already produced?  My husband reloads.  I know he adds a tinc extra to our AR loads and I have no idea what he does for the weatherby.  

Fat McNasty sent me some hot bullets for my AR that David loaded for me.  However they're inconsistance in size so I would suspect they would be difficult to predict.  

I guess it doesn't matter, I can't compete this year anyway.  Its hard not to get excited about it though.

You should be able to find ballistics info for just about any load with enough searching.

You could always just use the muzzle velocity, weight, and ballistic coefficient and do your own calculations.  There's a formula you can use to figure it all out.  Google should produce some answers.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could you figure that from velocity, distance, and gravitational acceleration, or would the air resistance fuck that figure up?

You have to add in the ballistic coefficient which is basically how streamlined a bullet is.

Like I said above, there is a complex formula you can use that will get you pretty close to the actual drop.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

atmospheric drag is a factor, because it degrades your velocity figure pretty quickly
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Awesome shot Patty.

I wish I had a range that I could shoot 1000 yards at.  Longest distance I have shot is 600 yards but it was actually the 300 yd line at a highpower match using a garand and reduced size 600 yd targets.  It was lots of fun though.

I would think that at 1000 yds the affects of wind drift would be the biggest unknown/problem.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Awesome shot Patty.

I wish I had a range that I could shoot 1000 yards at.  Longest distance I have shot is 600 yards but it was actually the 300 yd line at a highpower match using a garand and reduced size 600 yd targets.  It was lots of fun though.

I would think that at 1000 yds the affects of wind drift would be the biggest unknown/problem.

I'd like an M1 Garand to try the TV shoot with.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#29]
The real champ would shoot it with a Red Ryder BB gun.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Question,

Can you use any rifle or is there a restriction on which type.

If any was an option.  Someone should pull this one out.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#31]
What is the brand and type of ammo?
Using the published Muzzle Velocity, the ballistic coeffcient, you should be able to determine the trajectory at 1,000, and properly adjust your scope.

ETA- I just read that your hubby handloads.  He should have a good idea about the MV.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Question,

www.barrettrifles.com/images/m107_04.jpg

There is no limitation to what type of gun you can use.  What is this?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#33]
these guys are serious.  

a bb gun might light up your ass if i was on the workingman's end, but it won't shoot 50 yards.

are you a troll?

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#34]
id walk out there with my 50 cal and 24 power scope and take home the cash. now i just need a 50 cal scope and id be good to go......
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Question,

Patty... you don't know a Barrett M82A1 when you see it?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
What is the brand and type of ammo?
Using the published Muzzle Velocity, the ballistic coeffcient, you should be able to determine the trajectory at 1,000, and properly adjust your scope.

ETA- I just read that your hubby handloads.  He should have a good idea about the MV.

Yea well for the weatherby all I have is a 225 grain bullets 83 of 48 31.  The shoot is Saturday so even if I could shoot [which I can't] I couldn't get anything brought in.

Patty
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Question,

No, really I'm not a weapons expert at any phatom stretch of the imagation.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Question,

It's used to shot down commerical air traffic and space shuttles.  j/k

50 Cal by Ron Barrett.  Deployed to the finest forces this country ever put out.

Can reach out and wisper in their ear.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Question,

No, really I'm not a weapons expert at any phatom stretch of the imagation.  

7,300 bucks worth of .50BMG goodness, before putting glass on it.  Semiauto, 10 round mag, with a muzzlebrake that reportedly reduces recoil to around that of a 12 gauge.  Used by the .mil to shoot at equipment (truck engines, electronics and the like), and for the truly 1337, human targets at ranges of a mile or more.

Basically the 'holy grail' of evil guns you can buy before getting into class III stuff.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried one year with my AR.  I think if I had some heavier loads I might have gotten it.  Its hard to say.  I had open sights then and I aimed really high.  I think I pulled a little to the left too but it was windy that day.  Hard to say.

Patty

Uhh,, Im not a High Power guy but I know enough of them who tell me that at 600yds the 77 gr bullet is known to bounce off the paper target on occasion.  
1000yards, dont think so.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
[Uhh,, Im not a High Power guy but I know enough of them who tell me that at 600yds the 77 gr bullet is known to bounce off the paper target on occasion.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Uhh,, Im not a High Power guy but I know enough of them who tell me that at 600yds the 77 gr bullet is known to bounce off the paper target on occasion.  

yeah, i like to let my friends take shots at me from around 1K.  one time it just kinda bounced off my face.  what a shot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I wouldn't mind giving it a try with this:

Savage 10FP/AccuTrigger in .308 in Choate Varmint stock.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Barrett M82A1 ....and for the truly 1337, human targets at ranges of a mile or more.

must be a n00b
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow..... an actual shooting thread in GD......h=85%

I guess it doesn't matter, I can't compete this year anyway. Its hard not to get excited about it though.

Not to get personal, but why can't you compete?  Are people who hit the TV the previous year held out the next year?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#46]
if you use an AR you are going to atleast want 90gr bullets for 1000yrds.

As for 77gr SMKs bouncing off the paper at 600Yds.

A proprely loaded 77gr is still supersonic at 600yrds.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#47]
That would be fun to give it a try. Either my 30-338 or the 300 ultra could get there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you kidding?

I would venture that he is not.  I would try it with a Mosin or a, 8mm Mauser.  The sights are graduated for it.  So it shoots 1 MOA that would be 10" at 1000 yds at a 25" TV.  

The English SMLE's(also known as Lee-Enfields) are also graduated out that far. Just make sure you are using the 174-grain load of the original.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
if you use an AR you are going to atleast want 90gr bullets for 1000yrds.

As for 77gr SMKs bouncing off the paper at 600Yds.

A proprely loaded 77gr is still supersonic at 600yrds.

Unless you use an AR that shoots 150gr 7.62x51 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Yea well for the weatherby all I have is a 225 grain bullets 83 of 48 31.  The shoot is Saturday so even if I could shoot [which I can't] I couldn't get anything brought in.
Patty

What is the specific brand and model bullet?
Is that IMR 4831, or Hodgdon 4831?
What is range is your rifle zeroed at?  Or is it hitting 1" high at 200 or something like that?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top