Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 7:30:15 PM EDT
Just thought this would be interesting to the Glock guys

Defective state police guns to be replaced

The Tribune-Star

Indiana State Police will receive new Glock 9 mm handguns as a result of functional problems with their current Glock 40-caliber handguns.

About 50 guns that were identified as dysfunctional through a manufacturer defect will be replaced, said Indiana State Police Sgt. Joe Watts.

The manufacturer is replacing the guns at no cost to State Police, Watts said.

No timeline has been set for when the new handguns will arrive. When they arrive, police will be trained on their use.

State troopers can carry one of the new, replaced handguns or the gun previously carried, a Beretta 40-caliber, he said.

Last year, State Police replaced their old Berettas with the new Glocks.

http://www.tribstar.com/news/local_story_102231432.html
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Not professional enough for Glock fotays.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

State troopers can carry one of the new, replaced handguns or the gun previously carried, a Beretta 40-caliber, he said.

Last year, State Police replaced their old Berettas with the new Glocks.

http://www.tribstar.com/news/local_story_102231432.html

Wonder how many go back to the Beretta?  Any word on the specific fault?  KABOOM defective or just won't fire?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not professional enough for Glock fotays.

Lot of that goin' round.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just thought this would be interesting to the Glock guys

You forgot to add the appropriate smiley -->      

First time I’ve ever heard of a “dysfunctional” handgun!

Wonder what the problem was?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
different article

April 12, 2006

State police replace troubled guns

Associated Press
Indiana State Police troopers will change handguns for the second time in less than a year after some experienced troubles with the new weapons.

Troopers trained with the new Glock 22 handguns in December, but within weeks, troopers reported the semiautomatics were malfunctioning.

"We've determined that it's best to replace all of the weapons that we have," state police 1st Sgt. Brian Olehy said.

The new agency-issued weapon will be a Glock 17 nine-millimeter handgun, which troopers are to receive over the next few months. Troopers had used Berettas before last year's change.

Sgt. Larry Jenkins said the two Glock handgun models were similar.
"The only main difference that you're going to find is the type of round and the number of rounds in the weapons," he said.

The new guns have a 17-round magazine. The old guns shot 15 rounds.
There will be no cost to the state Olehy said.

Semiautomatic weapons are expected to malfunction at times, but the Glocks being replaced had a higher rate than anticipated, he said. The agency generally replaces handguns every five to seven years to prevent problems, Olehy said.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060412/LOCAL/604120560/-1/RSS

Police Guns    
  - Action 10 News WTHI Staff    
  4/11/2006 4:56:30 PM    

Indiana State Police will soon be carrying new weapons for the second time in less than a year.

Troopers were trained on new Glock 22 guns in December to get used to the new weapon.  But now, some of the gun have malfunctioned, causing officials to question the use of the weapon.

And while not all the guns were having problems, all the guns will be changed out.  "Having the best weapon available to us is what we are trying to do as a department and that's what we're doing with this transition," says First Sergeant Brian Olehy.

The new weapon of choice is a Glock 17, 9-millimeter handgun.  State police officials expect to have all officers equipped with the new weapons over the next few months.
http://www.wthitv.com/newsdet.asp?id=11064

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to say "In before the Glock bashers", but I see I'm too late for that.  

I guess I better hang onto the G22 I have, it must be the only good one they made, I've shot many, many mags through it with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#8]
So what was the problem? Anybody got the scoop?

Don’t tell me “it’s a glock.” I’ve got a glock 23 with more than 7K through it. The only problem it has ever given me is that the trigger pin would walk its way out when I first got it.

Is there some problem that the Gen 3/4s have that the Gen 1/2s don’t?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah what problems?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1, 1000 times

I was going to posted that but since you got here first i'll let you have it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:07:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's a thread about it with some of the State Police who had the problem

ISP G22 problems
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:24:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Probably limp wristing
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:30:12 AM EDT
[#14]
No comment on Glocks in general.

Can't see the backstep to 9mm though.

In the hands of a TRAINED shooter , the .40 in a Full sized gun beats a 9mm hands down.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In the hands of a TRAINED shooter , the .40 in a Full sized gun beats a 9mm hands down.

Well, I'm glad that is settled.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:36:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Probably limp wristing

The ISP guys in the thread said that it was a lockup problem.

[person who has heard too much gunshop BS]
But........but..........but I thought Glocks were ultra reliable because of their loose tolerances!!!!
[/person who has heard too much gunshop BS]

Well, little Billy, it turns out that the tolerances you use has a great deal to do with how a machine works, even if the word GLOCK is stamped on that machine....

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:37:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Probably limp wristing

Actually, locking blocks out of tolerance. Causing an out of battery/ FTF situation. We have a safety bulletin on it.

On top of all the OTHER Glock safety bulletins.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#18]
They need 1911s.  Those are much more reliable, because they have a soul...

ETA: Hey Tomislav, something is wrong with your chart, they all look the same!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:38:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Probably limp wristing

Yep, limp wristing for sure...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:54:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Probably limp wristing

Actually, locking blocks out of tolerance. Causing an out of battery/ FTF situation. We have a safety bulletin on it.

On top of all the OTHER Glock safety bulletins.

But......but.......I thought Glocks were "perfection" and that they never have safety problems or reliability problems!!

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:56:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Probably limp wristing

The ISP guys in the thread said that it was a lockup problem.

But........but..........but I thought Glocks were ultra reliable because of their loose tolerances!!!!

Well, little Billy, it turns out that the tolerances you use has a great deal to do with how a machine works, even if the word GLOCK is stamped on that machine....

If they had just spent a couple hundred bucks more they could have gotten a Sig.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Oy Vey!

My G22 is a rock.  Thousands of rounds.

Someone somewere let a machine get out of spec.   Geee, that NEVER happens in ANY other manufacturing facility in the WORLD...

Ooops and then they will fix the problem.

Additionally, Tomislav's chart, while penetration is the same the wound channel is MUCH more massive in the .357sig, .40 and .45 then the 9mm.  Don't forget that you are dealing with a 3-d channel, it is basically a cylinder and volume is a cubic.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#23]
is there anymore specificity with regards to these internal problems?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
[person who has heard too much ARFCOMgunshop BS]

But......but.......I thought Glocks were "perfection" and that they never have safety problems or reliability problems!!

[/person who has heard too much ARFCOM BS]

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
...snip...

Someone somewere let a machine get out of spec.   Geee, that NEVER happens in ANY other manufacturing facility in the WORLD...

...snip...

Since I don't have a Glock:  A design can be too sentitive to wear and manufacturing tolerance drift, and in the case with a machine that controls minor explosions, such a design can be unwise.  This may be the case with Glock pistols--may not be.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img89.imageshack.us/img89/2074/handgungelcomparison6wj.jpg

10mm beats then both. imagine that 165 grn hp but moving 300 fps faster.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img89.imageshack.us/img89/2074/handgungelcomparison6wj.jpg

10mm beats then both. imagine that 165 grn hp but moving 300 fps faster.

No arguments here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top