Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 6:45:10 PM EDT
So, long story short. I have an Engineering degree, work as a laboratory technician with no hope of ever getting an Engineering position at my current employer. I get a message today from some guy who says he is a head hunter and may have some positions of interest available to me in the field I am now working in. Naturally if it is an Engineering job I would like to go for it.

However, I have talked with a coworker and he says they are bad news. His take is that if you sign onto a job that was procured for you by a headhunter the company that just hired you will view you poorly because of the lack of loyalty you showed to your original company.  Fearing that they will lose you they won't bother to do much for you or your career.

I think that what he says might be  BS.

We are undergoing a merger right now,  could it be  HR trying to find unloyal people to  eliminate in the merger?

Any folks who could shed some light on this?

"is it safe?"

"is it a trap?"
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If the offer is good, don't worry that you got it via a headhunter.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If the offer is good, don't worry that you got it via a headhunter.

+1, especially if there is no chance for advancement at your current position.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]
BS.  It's a common practice.  Space Ex robbed us of many top drawer managers, engineers and technicians. It happens everyday.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just act with integrity, and you'll be OK.  Talking to a co-worker was probably a bad idea, though, as 2 can keep a secret if 1 of them is dead...

I didn't talk to him about this particular incident . He has received calls like this before  which led to the talk I described.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd go with it, unless they ask for money. My inlaws dealt with guys like that, they lead them on until they were far into job offers then asked for money before giving details.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Somthing else that I remembered about the message. He said he got my info by networking with other  headhunters in the business. How the hell does he know who I am and what I do?

He implied that he knew I was unhappy about my current  position, which is true.

How would he get this info?

I was thinking about  the merger and how things could possibly change for the better. Maybe new HR, might  find some use for me. That might be a bit too optimistic.

Seems like the new company has a hardon for this Six Sigma crap. I would probably be a dead stick anyhow, have a degree, just no Six Sigma training.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell, I'll swing the guy a call tomorrow on my cell phone.

I'll put up an update tomorrow.

My guess will be an offer for a crappy technician job elsewhere. But on the off chance...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
And here I was thinking you were talking about that movie with the creepy nazi dentist...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't worry about it; it's a market.  Sometimes that's how it happens.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
And here I was thinking you were talking about that movie with the creepy nazi dentist...

LMFAO!  

Me too...that's why I came into the thread.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I got my job through a headhunter in Boston. Nice guy they took good care of me while I was under contract. I stayed at the LAb and I still work in the same place. Overall a real good experiance.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#13]
You are too paranoid.  Talk to the HH.  Companies are not as interested in "loyalty" as you think.

Of course he implied that he knew you are not satisfied with your current position.  He's trying to recruit you.  Talk to the man.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMFAO!  

What movie is that? I cannot remember the title.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMFAO!  

What movie is that? I cannot remember the title.

Marathon Man.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Talked to the guy today. He wants me to forward him a resume. Sounds like he might have a Quality Engineer position available for me. This would be huge, I could finally  break into the Engineering field.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top