Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2006 12:43:06 PM EDT
I am starting off to do a research paper which will be eight to ten pages for my British Literature 10 AP class. The reason is that they want us to be ready to write a research paper next year. We could pick any topic so I said the hell with it I'll do something easy that deals with guns. I picked our little Arfcom favorite troll thread "AK-47 vs M16". I figured it would be easy to find information but it isn't. Here are the rules:

Rules
-Only 1 (one) internet source, so please let me know of a super, super, super, good site.
-As many books as I would like.

Basically what I am asking for is a list of good books that would compare the two and one website that really has good info on the topic. If you know of any books please list the title and I will do my best to find them at the library or online. Thank you for your help in my time of need. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Some other member already did that a while back...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some other member already did that a while back...

If you could direct me to that thread, and bump it for me so that I can view it that would be great.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]
what is this?  for my AP literature class, the only essays we wrote were about the deeper meaning of Tennyson's poetry, or about the minutae of Anna Karenina.... the stupid cheating whore.  Dirty tramp deserved to get run over by a train.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what is this?  for my AP literature class, the only essays we wrote were about the deeper meaning of Tennyson's poetry, or about the minutae of Anna Karenina.... the stupid cheating whore.  Dirty tramp deserved to get run over by a train.

LOL!
(She really didn't get ran over did she?)

Sadly thats what we usually do and this, trust me, is a welcomed break. It's just that I am having trouble finding real information from which to draw research.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
one really really really really good site? www.world.guns.ru
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]
EPITAPH ON AN ARMY OF MERCENARIES.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
 The hour when Earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
 And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
 They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
 And saved the sum of things for pay.

A. E. Housman
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The General
"Good-morning; good-morning!" the General said
When we met him last week on our way to the line.
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of ’em dead,
And we’re cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
"He’s a cheery old card," grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

But he did for them both by his plan of attack.

Siegfried Sassoon
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone actually have a book that they now would be good?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#9]
One Internet source:www.ar15.com/

just pay up the membership and you'll have access to ALL the "AK vs M16" threads
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Please, can someone at least point me to a few books? Or at least an internet website.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump please help, this is a big paper, and I need help. Post any and all reference books on the subject you may have.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Jane's Infantry Weapons, 2006.  Check your local big college library...

You can also get AK-47 manuals from CenturyInternational or Tapco.

AR manuals from this site and Bushmaster.

Also, talk to local ROTC command to see if they have more info.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Research is a skill only learned by experience, not by asking some stranger to do it for you. It actually can be fun.

bd
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Research is a skill only learned by experience, not by asking some stranger to do it for you. It actually can be fun.

bd

I have plenty of experiance fondling my Romy WASR 1- and my Bushmaster M4. What I am doing here is an objective paper in need of extensive book sources.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Did that one in high school.  The library had a complete set of Jane's Defense and I had a few AK vs. M-16 magazine articles.

Nowadays I'd be expelled under the school's ZERO TOLERANCE policies for bringing the magazine into school.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Jeebus. Start here: LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, EVER HEARD OF IT?.  Second, go to a Library, ask someone to do it for you there.  If you don't know what a Library is go to Borders, find the first person with bad hair and a pierced lip and ask them where the computer search kiosk is, then ask them to find books on your topic.  

What you will find with the computer are the most popular books, but not necessarily the best books.  I'd also look for the military manuals and possibly the biographies of Stoner and Kalishnikov.  Then look up the history of the original manufacturers on the internet, find the books in the aforementioned Library or bookstore and then ask your girlfriend to write the paper for you while you load the bowl.

bd
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Military Small Arms of the 20th Century by Ian V. Hogg. & John S. Weeks.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Jane's Infantry Weapons, 2006. Check your local big college library...

You can also get AK-47 manuals from CenturyInternational or Tapco.

AR manuals from this site and Bushmaster.

Also, talk to local ROTC command to see if they have more info.

Is this a magazine? I am able to use magazines, but I do not think they will have it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Just looked at the Jane stuff, and it runs about 31,000 dollars, for individual access. Yeah, $31,000 THIRTY THOUSAND

I do not have that kind of money and my parents won't exactly just hand that over to me if I do some chores. Might want at look at selling my truck, and then my guns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#20]
dry reading but intresting  give you a historical perspective  and it covers the AK a bit

The black Rifle

I put AK 47 into amazon came up with a few books some were   fairly inexpensive  but i have not read any of them

what are you trying to do

just a striaght pro/con of mechanics and balistics?
or a more encompassing look at military doctrine, social, economic, and political factors that went into their respective designs and adoptions?

also there is a wikpedia on the subject but i did not read it

AK vs AR

and of course

The box Of truth
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just looked at the Jane stuff, and it runs about 31,000 dollars, for individual access. Yeah, $31,000 THIRTY THOUSAND

I do not have that kind of money and my parents won't exactly just hand that over to me if I do some chores. Might want at look at selling my truck, and then my guns.

You don't buy it.  You go to a big library, like ones in a big university, to borrow or photocopy it.  I've spent many happy hours browsing through the cool stuff in there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#23]
You picked a topic for which there is little/no evidence in printed form....

The merits & failings of a perticular weapons system are rarely scientific & documented - most likely they are in the minds of the soldiers equipped with each, and most likely either side thinks the other guy's weapon is 'better'...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I AM AN ENGLISH TEACHER!!

Actually, I'm teaching an AP English 10 class right now, and guess what my students are working on?  Their research paper.  My students have to research the bio of a famous author, however.  I'll give you a simple piece of advice:  Get thee to a library.  

Like every other 10th grade HS student, you only know your way around the internet.  That ain't research [notice the use of the colloquial "ain't" in order to emphasize ignorance, here].  Good information has been published.  Any goob can type info into the internet.  

The good news is that your average librarian is a lonely soul who gains personal satisfaction from showing lost mortals the intricacies of her arcane bibliographical system.  If properly sweet-talked (NOT pestered with demands and treated like some type of second-class citizen) a librarian will show you to databases of magazine articles, non-fiction histories of weapons and small arms, and yearly publications of various gun aficionadoes.  

I'll make one small suggestion:  AK-47 vs. AR-15 is a pissing match, and not a good topic for an English research paper.  However, the evolution of the modern assault-style rifle from the full battle rifles of WWII would be an excellent analytical paper, with copious amounts of available data.

Now if you don't get an A, I'm taking this as a personal insult as an Arfcommer and English Teacher.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I did a paper on Mikhail Kalashnikov and the impact of his creation.  Then I analyized how wars are fought now with these new weapons and what they would be like if we didn't have them.  Then I briefly compared the AK to other rifles, just as a comparison of how good his design is still today.  

17 pages, 99%.  -1 point for more than 1 internet source.  Out of 12 sources.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah well to continue the pissing match how bout this? The "design" of the AK gave birth to the following military weapons (real mil not some shot gun news crap) The RPK a Squard level meduim machine gun, Valmet a tough as nails artic wonder, Galil a tough AND accurate Isreali weapon, Dragunov A SNIPER! rifle, and the SIG 550 series Probably the best made assault weapon ever. What other military weapon (successful, popular) has been made from the "direct impingement" system of the m16? Can you see a SAW that had the m-16 system as it's foundation? They'd have to put a tri-burst on it!! ahgagagagaggah! Oh but dont worry it's not cause the thing probably could'nt handle a high rate and volume of fire before its "bunghole" got clogged, its to conserve ammo right? guess they should've stuck to the Krag Jorgenson for that!  Yeah and before you post that "prototype" m-16 MMG dont bother i know about it and it was a lemon. as to cartridges? well both can fire anything so that is a non starter.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top