Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 10:09:15 PM EDT
Ma Danby and I are planning to visit our son in South Carolina this fall.  And we were thinking about driving one direction.  Anybody know if any car rental agencies can accomodate picking up a vehicle in Southern California and dropping it  off with pre-arrangements at say Atlanta, or any major city as far north as Philly. Like to take the Ma Danby to see both Savannah and Gettysburg.

Thinking of driving 66/40 through "Indian Country" to Amarillo and then down to 20 and stop in  Vicksburg.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]

A guy was just asking about that in the UK hometown forum, planning a trip to the US.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It can be done,  you will pay a pretty penny for a one way rental however.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ma Danby and I are planning to visit our son in South Carolina this fall.  And we were thinking about driving one direction.  Anybody know if any car rental agencies can accomodate picking up a vehicle in Southern California and dropping it  off with pre-arrangements at say Atlanta, or any major city as far north as Philly. Like to take the Ma Danby to see both Savannah and Gettysburg.

Thinking of driving 66/40 through "Indian Country" to Amarillo and then down to 20 and stop in  Vicksburg.

PaDanby

Please notify the Savannah crew in the Georgia HTF before you come. There are quite a few of us  arfcomer's down here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#4]
though you will have no luxury in it,,a van, pickup, even a 10 foot truck from budget or ryder may be the way to go
rental car company's rarely allow out of state travel let alone cross country.
have done this myself a few times.
second thought may be to advertize to drive someones car cross country
lots of transfered employees have multible cars to move and shipping them is very expensive..
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I did a quote on the Hertz page  and it wasn't significantly more expensive than the weekly rate would be.  About $250 more.  Not as bad as the $800-1200 I had been hearing about.

Made the mistake of going to Savannah the last time I drove across and flew out from there.  Savannah wasn't the mistake, leaving  St. Patty's Day was.   What a zoo, and this from a guy who grew up with the Rose Parade.

Ma Danby has never seen a real East Coast Autumn with all the trees turning color, just doesn't really happen here, so we may be heading North. But it's 6 months down the line at least.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]
because atl is a high volume city, dropping it off there is probably not as bad as say.. butte montana..if they have a vehicle in a low rental area, they have to transport it to another high volume location.. which you pay for.. atlanta has the busiest airport in the nation.. as an example.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top