Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 6:53:58 PM EDT
I was recnetly on a WestPac and brought home a cheap set of display swords.  But I got to see some real japanese swords.  Sharp as razors.   And if you ever get to Wake Is.  they have a Japanese sword displayed on the wall in the galley.

I'm wondering..  I might want a real sword as a display.  A sharp one that is functional..  How much and where to buy for one.  I dont think I want to break the bank either..
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#1]
There are functional swords (i.e. sharp and made of real steel) on-line for everywhere from $40 - $20K.  As with anything you get what you pay for.  For the bottom end, Century.com has the cheapies.  Google for authentic Katanas and you'll probably find the upper-end.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Cold Steel just sent me a new catalogue on Monday, they have the new "Dragonfly Series" added to their Imperial and Warrior series, in both Wakazashi & Katana lengths.

Even tougher/thicker blades than their already excellent choices.

Wakazashi runs around $540 and katana is around $725, sweet Teal-green silk work on handles very nice.

(Note: Warrior series may be more in your price range)

Mike
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I love Japanese style blades. I would love to have a good Wakazashi.

Here is my daily carry "sword."

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#5]
There are tons of "semi-custom" katanas out there.

paul chen is one big maker, but to the trained eye you can tell they are made in china, but don't mistake me they are a nice sword for what you pay.

just google paul chen and you will find the prodcut line,

he also creates a line of custom swords for

www.bugei.com

They are nice as well, but seem a little over-priced. IMHO.

also right now

www.swordstore.com

gets good reviews, they look a little less flashy, but I know that their "Steel Iaito that cuts" gets real good quality tumbs up. Plus they have pretty traditional lines.

They also have the option to order a shinken from a japanese smith modern made, and totally authentic.
although be prepared to drop some $$$$$. (at least 10K, usually more like 14-15K w/ polish, mounting, and saya (scabbard).

If not that route there a literally tons of custom smiths out there.

Rick Barrett.
Michael Bell.
Howard Clark.
etc...

Although again be prepared do drop some serious change. (a full custom katana length sword, polished and mounted from an american smith will easily be 7K)

anything else you need to ask, ask away. I love this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Kris Cutlery is good if you want a sword to actually cut with. (Sword nuts cut grass mats and plastic bottles filled with water the same way gun nuts shoot targets and plastic bottles filled with water.) And it looks like their “Elite” series might be good for display too.

Hanwei/Chen is another possibility; they make some really nice stuff. (At least ‘nice’ by Chinese production standards.) Bugei Trading has a reputation for making very nice swords. They take selected Chen/Hanwei blades, touch up the polish, and give them decent mountings.

http://www.bugei.com/

They aren’t cheap but it’s the best you’re likely to find unless you want to spend several grand on a custom sword.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top