Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 6:50:59 PM EDT
A friend of mine just came back from a cruise and told me the story about he forgot about the pistol he had pack it his suitcase. No problem getting it on, but was wary about when they get back to the dock because of the dogs going over the luggage. He threw it over board one night, it was a Colt SS 380.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Customs dogs are searching for drugs, not guns. He threw it overboard for no reason.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Beats going to jail
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Lost in a tragic boating accident, eh?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Customs dogs are searching for drugs, not guns. He threw it overboard for no reason.

Yup! what a waste.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
He should have gone STRAIGHT to the purser and explained circumstances. The purser would have secured the pistol in the safe for the duration of the trip and returned it as he was leaving.

The cruise people are pretty understanding that shit happens. The LAST thing they want is to have a passenger busted. Bad PR.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Some drug dogs will smell burned gun powder.

Yea, they do that.  Yes, it works.  No, its not cool.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
the cruise i went on had me going through airport style security every time i got back on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#9]
 to even get on the ship he had to go through a metal detector and the dogs sniffed his suitcase.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
i would have done the same, a few hundred dollar pistol isnt' worth possibly getting arrested over.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't blame him. Lots o People seem to "Dissappear" off them boats
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i would have done the same, a few hundred dollar pistol isnt' worth possibly getting arrested over.

+1000

Not worth it.  You fuck up by bringing it on the ship.  Don't compound that mistake by trying to keep it.  You can buy 30+ more of them with the lawyer's fees you will save.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah, I lost my guns in a boating accident too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
 to even get on the ship he had to go through a metal detector and the dogs sniffed his suitcase.

I brought six cases of beer onto a cruise ship in a duffel bag. The bag weighed around 150 pounds and ir was obvious that it was full of contraband beer. When I checked in, I handed the porter $30 for the one bag and he made sure that it got to my room just fine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't carry on a cruise ship?

If you have a CCW why not?

Not Flagged in the US?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
the cruise i went on had me going through airport style security every time i got back on.

Me too.  They had people going through metal detectors and they screened carry-on baggage.  I guess if it was in the baggage that gets taken to your room later on it might have slipped past them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not Flagged in the US?

When you dock you are technically in another country.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
If you leave from the US and return to the us and keep your gun in the cabin, are you still in another country?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

you know what those things are going for nowadays?
The dogs look for drugs, not weapons.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I would have put it into a ziplock bag with some coffee (and maybe garlic).
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#21]

He should have shot the dog.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Anybody who is so out of it so as to not know one of his pistols is in a suitcase he's carrying probably shouldn't be allowed to own guns.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not Flagged in the US?

There's no technically about it, or at sea either.  Bringing it ashore in the US would likely not be a problem if you could show you already leaggaly posessed it in the US, (a CCW permit listing it???) taking it ashore anyplace else might be  very painfully different.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Dang, and I was worried about bringing my own booze in my suitcase...

At $5 a pop for watered down booze, you pretty much have to bring your own..But, they don't want you to.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I would have put it into a ziplock bag with some coffee (and maybe garlic).

I would have put it in the wifes suitcase and claimed ingnorance.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#26]
How does one "Accidentally" carry a gun ANYWHERE?

Poor gun didn't stand a chance since it had an absolute moron for an owner.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#27]
He should have just keestered it
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't care what it was, if I "accidentally" found myself with a piece on a cruiseship, it sure would go overboard.  If you dock in Mexico and get caught,...there's nothing I own that's worth more than everything I own.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
How does one "Accidentally" carry a gun ANYWHERE?hance

He drove down to Fl. and spend the night in Miami, try spending the night in Miami with out of state plates without packing.. He thought he could park his car first and take his luggage to the ship. Found out you unload your luggage first. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Turn it over to security, they will likely give it back when you leave.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't suppose there are any cruises that allow CCW?   Wandering about the world without a sidearm isn't my idea of a good time :/
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I would have put it in my wife's suitcase.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

He should have shot the dog.

LMAO

That is perfect logic.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not Flagged in the US?

There's no technically about it, or at sea either.  Bringing it ashore in the US would likely not be a problem if you could show you already leaggaly posessed it in the US, (a CCW permit listing it???) taking it ashore anyplace else might be  very painfully different.

your not really in another country when you dock, the dock area is a international trade zone, as in international waters. I work along the docks at the Port of Houston
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#38]
it was a Colt SS 380, it its better overboard.. :)

otherwise, i would have disasembled it and put parts in each bag..
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

DING  DING  DING -- We have a winner! All I can say is, that is exactly what I did   would have done.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DING  DING  DING -- We have a winner! All I can say is, that is exactly what I did   would have done.

Which did would you do....overboard, or parts in different bags?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Anybody who is so out of it so as to not know one of his pistols is in a suitcase he's carrying probably shouldn't be allowed to own guns.

I have to agree.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which did would you do....overboard, or parts in different bags?

I probably should have not said anything. Nevermind what I posted earlier, I was thinking about something else.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#43]
You can get it in accidently. They dont run your main baggage through anything.  And yes they would have run the dogs through it on the way home.

We were able to take our own luggage off this trip.  No one ran it through anything.  No dogs no metal detectors, nothing.  They just asked us what we bought.

Total waste of a good gun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not Flagged in the US?

your not really in another country when you dock, the dock area is a international trade zone, as in international waters. I work along the docks at the Port of Houston

Then you better check again with somebody that knows what they are talking about  Ships are the territory of the country they are registered in.  Once you are in the territorial waters, you are in the sovereign territory of that country, trade zone or not, they are NOT international waters.  The host country may establish a trade zone to enable a variety of mercantile activities with less interference by Customs and Immigration matters, but it isn't international waters.  A better analogy is debarking from an international flight moving to another flight and taking off without having to go through arrival Customs or Immigration  Legal matters pertaining to Customs and Immigration matters are covered by a variety of Admiralty Law, common law and treaties.  Criminal matters on board the ship are the province of the country the ship is registered in.  That country and the ship can waive it's rights and/or can cooperate in any way it chooses with the local legal authorities, BUT they don't have to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top