BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/11/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/11/immigration/

Immigration bills to lose felony proviso
Pelosi's office: Republicans 'feeling the heat' after protests

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Republican leaders of the House and Senate have agreed to drop efforts to make entering the United States illegally a felony, hoping to jump-start legislation to overhaul the U.S. immigration system.

The provision has become a lightning rod for protesters in massive demonstrations against illegal immigration restrictions, like those Monday that drew hundreds of thousands of people in dozens of American cities large and small.

The felony measure is part of an immigration reform bill the GOP-controlled House of Representatives passed in December.

In a joint statement issued Tuesday evening, House Speaker Dennis Hastert and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist tried to blame House Democrats for the felony provision, noting that Democrats voted overwhelmingly against an amendment that would have reduced minimum sentences for illegal entry to 6 months.

"Instead, they voted to make felons out of all of those who remain in our country illegally," said Hastert, an Illinois Republican, and Frist, a Tennessee Republican.

The final bill passed the House 239-182, with only 36 Democrats supporting the measure. (Watch the politics of immigration -- 2:28)

Jennifer Crider, a spokeswoman for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California, said Republicans "are feeling the heat" after demonstrations that brought out hundreds of thousands of protesters in 39 states on Monday.

Organizers said 500,000 attended a protest in Washington and 200,000 turned out in Phoenix, Arizona, though police provided no official crowd estimates. (Full story)

"No amount of spin can change the fact that Republicans wrote and passed the Sensenbrenner bill, which criminalizes an entire population," Crider said. "The bill is beyond repair."

Republican Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado, a leading advocate of cracking down on illegal immigration, said Monday that Democrats wanted to keep the felony provision as a "poison pill."

But Sen. Edward Kennedy on Tuesday dismissed such characterizations.

"Actions speak louder than words, and there's no running away from the fact that the Republican House passed a bill and Senator Frist offered one that criminalizes immigrants," the Massachusetts Democrat said.

"This debate shouldn't be about making criminals out of hard-working families ... but rather about strengthening our national security and enacting a law that reflects our best values and our humanity," he said in a written statement.

The House bill, pushed by Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner, a Wisconsin Democrat, also calls for building 700 miles of security fence along the Mexican border and would make assisting illegal immigrants a felony, as well.

It does not include a temporary guest-worker provision, as President Bush has called for, or language that would offer a legalization process for people already in the United States illegally. Critics dismiss that idea as "amnesty," while supporters call it "earned citizenship."

Senate attempts to pass a bill stalled last week when a measure establishing a guest-worker program and a mechanism for legalization failed to overcome opposition from conservative Republicans.

As protests against the House bill mounted in late March, the White House and the Republican National Committee raised concerns that the anti-immigration sentiment coming from some corners of the GOP would turn off Latino voters that Bush and his political team have worked hard to court.

But Republican leaders must also contend with a growing chorus within their conservative base to crack down on illegal immigration. (Watch importance of Latino vote questioned -- 2:07)

Sensenbrenner sponsored the amendment that Frist and Hastert cited Tuesday, and he signaled last week that he would be willing to drop the felony language if the House and Senate have to come up with a compromise bill.

House GOP aides, meanwhile, said Tuesday that language aimed at punishing people who help illegal immigrants was aimed at smugglers who bring people across the border, not at charities who assist the migrants.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh contributed to this report.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Lock and Load.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Those lowlife sons of bitches sure as hell aren't working for US, deport the legislative branch too
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Traitors
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Sensenbrenner is a good guy (atually great - he doesn't take shit from anybody) so he's not going to go for amnesty and I REALLY doubt he's going to go for a guest worker program before a bunch of enforcement is put into place.

He wins going away in a very conservative district every time. He's not going to 'catch heat' from a bunch of libs - his seat is his as long as he wants it.

Part of the article sounds like spin to make the democrats sound like victors and further piss of the republican base.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy F'in hell!  There goes the country.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
This aggression will not stand, man.  Across this line, YOU DO NOT PASS
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Real sick of these fuckin' power hungry bastards.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Vote every one of the bastards out!!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#10]
GET ON THE F'N PHONE PEOPLE!!!!!

This is a lynch-pin voting issue for me.  I will hold my party and my elected officials responsible for this one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]

<-----------------Wondering why he spent 3 years and >$10,000 dollars to immigrate here legally.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I hate to say it but this country deserves whatever happens to it...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#13]
The next election is just ripe for third party candidate.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is a lynch-pin voting issue for me.  I will hold my party and my elected officials responsible for this one.

+1 1st thing in the morning!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#15]
We have been sold out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

<-----------------Wondering why he spent 3 years and >$10,000 dollars to immigrate here legally.

Because you're just a SUCKER!!!

Ask for your money back..who knows...you were victimized by 'the man'!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#17]
How are we any more screwed than yesterday, or last year?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because you're just a SUCKER!!!

Ask for your money back..who knows...you were victimized by 'the man'!

+1
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't believe we had the stones to take over Afghanistan and Iraq, but we're knuckling under to an underclass of criminals in our own country.  My god, screw the illegals.  You know who I am most furious and hate?  Those fucking politicans.  They're the ones I hate.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The next election is just ripe for third party candidate.

AMEN-THE US SENATE DOES NOT REPRESENT THE PEOPLE OF THE US. THEY REPRESENT BIG MONEY,MEXICO and Lawbreakers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 1st thing in the morning!

Make the calls people.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
We have been sold out.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#23]
time to start writing/calling again
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Pass the Astroglide please.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
This aggression will not stand, man.  Across this line, YOU DO NOT PASS

We're talking about unchecked aggression here, Dude.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Pass the Astroglide please.

All lube for peasants has been outlawed. Reacharounds have been discontinued. Enjoy the new legislation being rammed up your ass.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#27]
How hard is it to learn Spanish at 40 years of age? I will need to learn our new native language.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Traitors

sums it up
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I just love how the politicians on both sides completely ignore the illegal activity of these people and give them legitmate status such as "immigrants" or "hard working family".  If the issue is that the immigration to the needs to be made easier and increased for people from Mexico that is one thing and they should talk about that.  Well that is what they are pretending to talk about but legal immigration isn't what they are talking about.  Since there is such a shortage of workers in the US and there are so many Mexicans wanting to move here, why won't someone on either side propose a solution that solves the problem with legal immigration?  But no, they won't talk about that they have to call all the illegals "immigrants" and act like anyone that doesn't support them becoming full citizens as anti-immigrant and racist.  The Republican's have control of everything and as usually they have gone and screwed things up again.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Because I now know for certain and without a doubt that I have NO representation, no one with any backbone, no one with any character, and that our existing laws mean NOTHING. It is absolutely clear now. Yesterday, I at least had hope that the principles that this country was founded upon might still mean something to someone in power.

That's how.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#32]
If only you guys freaked out about gun control like this too...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#33]
This is disappointing to be sure......

But, this country will survive, and the world will continue to turn......

I don't think this is the time to head into the hills or anything....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

NOT the hills...........the capitals
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not giving one more penney to the Republican Party while they give in to these fucking aztlaners.  I'm done.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm not giving one more penney to the Republican Party while they give in to these fucking aztlaners.  I'm done.  

So is our country.

Whatch if they don't rein power and cecede the azltlan states.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#37]
The U.S got their bluff called when half a million people showed up to protest.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yes it will. And one day, hundreds of years from now perhaps men will again set up a free system of gov't and hopefully will learn from our experience just as we took some from the Greeks and the Romans. And eventually they will become weak and passive, falling also to the enemy within....

The general idea is to prevent it from getting to that and the trend ain't looking good. We appear to be losing our nation while our politicians piss all over us. And our freedoms will go with it. For some possibly even our lives or those of our families.  This is not going to be a good thing for the American People.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
We have been sold out.

I said this PRIOR to the '04 election
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Once all the illegal border-jumpers magically become law-abiding citizens, will be also be able to buy Garands from the CMP ?

Because that would just add insult to injury.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#42]
This is a very sad time for America, but it seems most Americans could not give a shit.  

There was some hope in my Macro class today when even legal immigrants were speaking out against the illegals getting amnesty.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Come on, you guys didn't think for a minute they would make all those people felons, did you?

This is what will happen: The Feds will stomp on our rights inside the US via wiretaps, data mining, etc., but the border will remain unprotected because both business and politicians want it that way.

The Hispanic community will eventually run the show. Some Hispanic Congressmen are already on record representing the illegals and the interests of Mexico. They are traitors but nothing will be done about it.

The govt. has never represented the little guy -- EVER. The govt. represents special interest groups.

If you want to play, you have to pay.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes it's bullshit, but this is the part that I just thank God didn't make it through.  It's not as bad as it could have been unless I'm missing something here...

It does not include a temporary guest-worker provision, as President Bush has called for, or language that would offer a legalization process for people already in the United States illegally. Critics dismiss that idea as "amnesty," while supporters call it "earned citizenship."

Senate attempts to pass a bill stalled last week when a measure establishing a guest-worker program and a mechanism for legalization failed to overcome opposition from conservative Republicans.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Meanwhile, I WORKED 14 PHUCKIN HOURS TODAY TO TRY AND RAISE MY FAMILY
    I dont have time to protest I gotta got to work

you know what I'm gonna email phuckin Ken Mehlman right now!  

In case anyone else wants to its [email protected]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#46]
www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/3785335.html

While not giving in on that point, Sensenbrenner conceded that a provision making illegal immigrants felons was "overkill." But he blamed Democrats for blocking his efforts to lessen the penalty.

After the bill was sent from committee to the full House for a vote, the Bush administration realized the felony aspect could lead to an unprecedented demand for jury trials for illegal immigrants, swamping federal courts and detention facilities.

If the felony penalty becomes law, it would make an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants subject to arrest and jailing for up to a year for "unlawful presence" in the United States.

The White House asked Sensenbrenner to reduce the proposed violation to a misdemeanor, with a six-month jail term. But a vote to cut the penalty failed at the hands of law-and-order Republicans, as well as Democrats, who wanted to show that the GOP was being mean-spirited.

The Senate version would make the violation a misdemeanor.

We need to ENFORCE the laws already on the books.  Making it a felony is going to create more bureaucracy and waste money that could be used to secure the boarder.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Just go with the flow man.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#48]
These gutless politicians can fucking die.  We have been betrayed by our own fucking party.  We can't win; it's either back-stabbing betrayal by the Republicans or lunacy by the Dem's.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I've called my Senators several times.  It's like talking to used car salesmen.  After a couple of calls they stop trying to humor you with pre-worded political bullshit and simply try to blow you off.    

These bastards are masters at talking around your questions.  Make them specificly answer your question.  When you call, ask if they tabulate the calls from their constituency as to how many are For or Against the issue you are calling about.  Ask if the final tabulation has any impact on your Politicians vote.  Then ask them if you can have a copy of that tabulation.   Let us know what they say.  If it's anything like my Senators office, it's rather humourous.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meanwhile, I WORKED 14 PHUCKIN HOURS TODAY TO TRY AND RAISE MY FAMILY
    I dont have time to protest I gotta got to work

you know what I'm gonna email phuckin Ken Mehlman right now!  

In case anyone else wants to its [email protected]

email sent

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:38 PM
Subject: I've had it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/11/immigration/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pelosi's office: Republicans 'feeling the heat' after protests

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Republican leaders of the House and Senate have agreed to drop efforts to make entering the United States illegally a felony, hoping to jump-start legislation to overhaul the U.S. immigration system.

If this is what you call 'leadership', I think we can do better and I will make every effort to make sure that we, the People, do just that during the next election cycle.

I am outraged. Entering this country illegally already IS a crime. Why don't we just enforce the current laws?

We already granted 'amnesty' to millions of illegal aliens back in the late 80's and early 90's. The Immigration Reform and Control Act Amnesty of 1986, the 1990 Immigration Act,  Section 245(i) Amnesty of 1994, Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty of 1997, etc etc etc etc. Has it helped the problem? NO!!! Why don't you guys quit doing lip service up there and actually start dealing with problems rather than the damned symptoms???? Any proposed legislation that is designed to deal with the illegal immigration problem that does NOT including some form of complete and comprehensive border control is both ineffective and doomed to failure. We are doomed to see this happen AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!      

You are killing this country. Illegal immigration IS a crime. It is about time it should be treated as such.

This is a travesty. Traitors. Every last one of you.                                                                      

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top