Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 5:31:36 PM EDT
... Like most of you, I get boat-loads of junk mail from the USPS daily. But times are different, these days I pay all my bills with authorized auto-pay, so I defer "reading" snail-mail for days sometimes.

... So today, I'm flipping through the usual stack of advertisement and crap and notice what looks to be an envelop with a legitimate credit-card billing format. Open her up, and I'll be damn! It is a legitimate credit card bill!

... A bill with all my statistical info. Notice that I was past due on a $78 balance. WTF? I don't even have a card by through this company in my wallet. Promptly call the 1-800 number provided to find out what's up.  Proceed to grill "Saaheed" on how I got this card if I never authorized it. Asked for his name and to be put directly in touch with their fraud department - Now! No real answer except a company I was looking at for a mortgage refinance over a year ago "gave" it to me - I never even authorized its use!

... Didn't recognized the envelopes in the past, so they always got shredded with the rest of the junk mail. "Saaheed" finally divulges that although I had never made charges on the card, finance fees had accrued on the annual user fee - I'm livid by now.

... After my obviously elevated angst and protest, he said the company would cancel the "debt" and the card (Oh how sweet of them). I reminded him that I'd be checking TRW and Equifax to make certain he did. He became even more apologetic after that.

... Dayum, stay vigilant folks - Vultures are a Circling!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
A guy I used to work with was part of a class-action suit against a company that did that. He and his wife just paid it because it was "official-looking".
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A guy I used to work with was part of a class-action suit against a company that did that. He and his wife just paid it because it was "official-looking".

just another scam
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just another scam

... One that could cost an innocent and unsuspecting person his credit rating if not careful!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Happened to me too.  CC companies are unscrupulous.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:01:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I got an offer in the mail for a credit card.  Sometimes I just like to read the fine print.  For this particular card, which would give you a $500 credit line, there were upfront annual fees, application fees, credit fees...  You name it.  All said and done, the fees were $422, leaving you with an open line of $78.  The fees were not totaled up anywhere, I had to read it a couple of times to find them all.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#6]
They aren't quite as bad, but I almost got duped by a womens' magazine subscription like that.  It was made to look like an invoice from a current subscription, but it was really trolling for new subscribers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:07:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I use this service to help me keep tabs on this kind of nonsense.

https://www.freecreditprofile.com/

But you guys are right, the vultures are circling and getting more bold each day.

- CD
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#8]
someday long after I'm dead, they will make it a crime punishable by DEATH to commit CC fraud/identity theft
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got an offer in the mail for a credit card.  Sometimes I just like to read the fine print.  For this particular card, which would give you a $500 credit line, there were upfront annual fees, application fees, credit fees...  You name it.  All said and done, the fees were $422, leaving you with an open line of $78.  The fees were not totaled up anywhere, I had to read it a couple of times to find them all.

That is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
It happened to me too. Discover just sent me a card out of the blue. Fuckers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top