Dumb question.
Has anyone ever made one or tried it?
Can I get one?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to find out as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Olympic has made titanium lower receivers.  I don't know if they are still in production, but they have made them in the past.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
night crew bump
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
think it would be lighter then a carbon 15?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Olympic has made titanium lower receivers.  I don't know if they are still in production, but they have made them in the past.

Screw it, I was ready to pony up, then you said Olympic
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Screw it, I was ready to pony up, then you said Olympic

+1
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember seeing a couple receivers for sale at a gun show a while back.  I'm pretty sure they were Oly.  They were pretty expensive...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No, how could it?  The density of titanium is 0.16 pounds per cubic inch, the material in the Carbon 15 is in the neighborhood of 0.05 to 0.06 pounds per cubic inch, and the gage is not mightily increased over that of an aluminum AR reciever.  You could carry a Carbon 15 in your pants if it was shorter, and I guess some of the folks with their 80 times oversize britches can carry one anyway.

A titanium upper receiver is pretty much a bad idea unless something is done about reducing friction in the bolt carrier channel.

I would rather have three AR-10's for about the same cost.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, how could it?  The density of titanium is 0.16 pounds per cubic inch, the material in the Carbon 15 is in the neighborhood of 0.05 to 0.06 pounds per cubic inch, and the gage is not mightily increased over that of an aluminum AR reciever.  You could carry a Carbon 15 in your pants if it was shorter, and I guess some of the folks with their 80 times oversize britches can carry one anyway.

A titanium upper receiver is pretty much a bad idea unless something is done about reducing friction in the bolt carrier channel.I would rather have three AR-10's for about the same cost.

Uh, how about TiN?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A titanium upper receiver is pretty much a bad idea unless something is done about reducing friction in the bolt carrier channel.I would rather have three AR-10's for about the same cost.

Uh, how about TiN?

That's one idea that will work.  Make that 4 AR-10's.  [That's probably only a little exagerated.]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Uh, how about TiN?

Ooh-then it'd be all bling bling gold colored
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, how about TiN?

but gold ain't tactical
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Isss jes fo' decorashun man, jes fo' decorashun. Kno' what I'm sayin'? Werd.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Yoo Gotz ta put da beamz on it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yoo Gotz ta put da beamz on it.

Werd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top