BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 3:52:18 PM EDT
Anchorage immigration protest gets mixed reaction
JULIA O'MALLEY
Anchorage Daily News
April 11, 2006
www.adn.com/news/alaska/anchorage/story/7616740p-7528191c.html
An Alaska version of the national debate over immigration policy exploded on the cold pavement outside the Federal Building on Monday afternoon when Richard Busk, a retired contractor, confronted 35 immigrants'-rights protesters waving Mexican and American flags.

"You should read Pat Buchanan's book!" Busk yelled into the crowd, referring to writings of a conservative commentator and former presidential candidate who opposed immigration.

"They are human beings! They are just here to work!" shouted Maria Rosas, an Anchorage court interpreter from Puerto Rico, rattling a poster board sign that read, "Legalize workers, Lock-up criminals."

The Anchorage demonstration, part of the National Day of Action for Immigrant Justice, was among scores across the United States meant to pressure Congress to give an estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants access to citizenship and civil rights. A bill favored by immigrant advocates failed last week, and lawmakers will return to the issue in two weeks after a recess.

Rosas and other protesters tangled with Busk, who directed his comments at news media. Around them, protesters chanted, "Si se puede! Si se puede!" under a sea of billowing flags. Their chant, echoed in protests nationally, means, roughly, "Yes, we can."

A few cars honked as they sped by on C Street. Someone in an SUV slowed long enough to hurl an epithet.

"We are hard workers. Many people, even though they don't have documents, pay taxes," said Maria Solo, an Anchorage bookkeeper, who stood with the protesters.

Busk walked through the crowd and crossed C Street.

"They are going to get cocky -- the illegals -- and tell us if we don't like them here to get over it," he said. "Basically, that's talk that's not going to sit well with a good ol' American."

Busk, who worked for years in the construction industry, admitted some contractors hire undocumented workers. "They are doing work for what we used to make 20 years ago," he said.

Still, the industry could function without cheaper undocumented laborers, he insisted.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimates Alaska has 5,000 undocumented workers, but immigrant advocates say the population is likely higher, fluctuating seasonally.

Lina Mariscal, honorary consul for Mexico, said there are about 18,000 Mexicans in Alaska. About a third of them are undocumented.

"People come in seasonally and they do the hardest jobs -- fishing, mining, logging," said Ana Gutierrez-Scholl, a computer skills teacher from Mexico City.

Rick Melquiades del Carpio, a man from Mexico with a deeply wrinkled face and calloused hands, stood in the back of the crowd. He works for a local family-owned construction company, he said in Spanish. He came to the demonstration because he hoped U.S. immigration policy would change.

"People should have the right to have a better life," he said.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

People should follow the fucking law.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I was asking about in another thread

the MEXICANS that are being interviewed don't seem to be able to grasp that
entering the country in the night, crossing over someones private property is a CRIME
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit. This is really starting to piss me off.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Alaska.  Last time I was up there I stopped in at Walmart.  The signs were in English/Spanish.  I told the check out lady I was surprised there was a language issue this far North.  She just smiled and shook her head.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#5]
how do the illegals manage to make it all the way up there?

seems like kind of an odd place to end up after you've jumped the border illegally.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

seems like kind of an odd place to end up after you've jumped the border illegally.

Not really.  There are even seasonal pickers (wild mushrooms after forest fires) who roam all the way up to Alaska.  They are experts and productive as hell.  But they're also transient and dont put down roots, so I dont care about them.

Also a seafood processing industry that pays terribly but is willing to pay OT as much as you can stand.  Mexicans go for that kind of work.

You'll find illegals everywhere in the USA.  I wouldnt be surprised if my Mexican neighbors were illegals.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.  There are even seasonal pickers (wild mushrooms after forest fires) who roam all the way up to Alaska.  They are experts and productive as hell.  But they're also transient and dont put down roots, so I dont care about them.

Also a seafood processing industry that pays terribly but is willing to pay OT as much as you can stand.  Mexicans go for that kind of work.

You'll find illegals everywhere in the USA.  I wouldnt be surprised if my Mexican neighbors were illegals.

is that the one with the loud car?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit. This is really starting to piss me off.

They should follow the law but no ONE at the state of federal level is ENFORCING the law. Hell around here illegals do all sort of jobs under the table. Cash only. My friend said he seen one of them at the local bank depositing seven thousand dollars for the bunch he works with. There is NO enforcement what so ever.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Protesting in Alaska??!!  Damn!  That's a long swim from Mexico!  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen Brother !
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

is that the one with the loud car?

No.  Those are the Puerto Ricans.  The Mexicans are the painting contractors next door with 3 adult males, a mom, and a grandmom, and about 5-6 kids and a daycare next door.  They're decent and tolerable compared to the Puerto Ricans' a-hole kid.  Though I wish they'd stop throwing empty booze bottles into my yard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top