Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 1:06:00 PM EDT
For our Energy Systems class, the prof wants us to do a project.  It can be basically anything that is relatively safe and not illegal, and deals with energy conversions (potential to kinetic, kinetic to electric or mechanical, etc).  Our group was thinking about an advanced potato launcher, but I'm sure there are some better ideas out there.  Something explosions/firearms related, hopefully.  So if you have any good ideas, let me hear 'em.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Spud Gun (chemical to kenetic) - already mentioned.
Flame Thrower (chemical to heat)
muzzle energy from rifles (chemical to kenetic)
rail gun (electric to kenetic)
catapult (mechanical to kenetic)

tannerite - though I don't know how you would get useful work

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]
rail gun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
a lightweight go cart powered by multiple large fire extinguishers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Build a giant ballista.

It's like a crossbow, but meaner.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
A moped made out of a mountain bike and a chainsaw.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Trebuchet - potential to kinetic
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Welll...how about a hemp burning machine
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Back in eng. school, one of my stand-by projects was to put a warhead on a model rocket....

Could do it with like m60s or black cats...

Didn't have the time or $$ to develop a guidance package though...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd vote for pnuematic spud gun (potential to kinetic),  because it is easy to model and easy to build to prove out the model if required.  And things that shoot 'r fun!!

Kent (mechanical eng.)
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Watch the music video for "An Honest Mistake" by The Bravery.  4 Minutes of Rube Goldberg Machine that should provide some good ideas.

Hold a firecracker in your hand and a lighter in the other.  Chemical Energy
Light Firecracker, continue to hold.
When it explodes you will have demonstrated chemical energy to mechanical energy.
The mechanical energy will transfer to you hand and cause a hurting sensation in your brain. Mechanical to Chemical

As an automatic nervous system response you will exhale sharply - Chemical to mechanical energy
The air you exhale will pass over your vocal cords, and cause them to vibrate in a most curious fashion FUU@@####!!!!  Mechanical to Mechanical

If you can borrow an oscilloscope and a microphone you can capture the waveform that you just produced - Mechanical to electrical

The professor will walk over and slap you for swearing.  The female engineer in the second row that you thought you had a chance with will laugh in derision.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Elizabeth: Paul, did you build an atomic bomb?
Paul: Only a little one.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Remote wireless power.
Can you fire a laser accross a canyon/classroom and power a light bulb with a simple solar panel?

Let us know
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the ideas so far.  I had actually been thinking something like a ballista/catapult/trebuchet.  Rail gun was one of the things we all mentioned, but I don't know about actually building one.  The flamethrower is a good one I haven't thought of, though I'm not sure how the prof will receive that one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top