Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2001 5:04:01 PM EDT
I'm looking for a bolt action rifle to supplement my AR-15. Can the AR-15 members give some feedback good or bad on the 700 PSS and the 700 LTR in .223 All shooting will be at less than 300 yards. I can't make up my mind on which one to buy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If your shooting is going to be limited to 300m or less, get the LTR. I have one and it drills! I love that rifle. It gets shot more than my AR does now. Get good quality glass for it. Nothing ruins an accurate rifle faster than sub-standard optics. I got one of the Leupold LR Tactical scopes. I know, $$$, but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd recommend savage too if weight isn't a big concern. Change to choate super sniper or varmit stock. Then switch to a sharpshooter trigger. I'd go stainless too for rust resistance. Mine is heavy (has springfield 6-20)but it is very accurate. Its in 308.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to look at the Rem. VSS its a tad cheaper but basicaly the same weapon. I beleive the Savage is the Mini 14 of tactical weapons. I dont care what great things the Amer. Riflmn. said. Alot of people say Rem is best out of the box.
GG
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
At the Texas Trophy Hunters Expo in Fort Worth last night, I noticed Hill Country Rifles is offering the .223 LTR as a varmint rifle.  HCR is known for their custom rifles and accurizing.  They did a fine accuracy job on my .308 LTR four months ago.  Superior workmanship and performance.

Anyway, HCR has a reputation they are proud of and could have offered one of their custom rifles.  It says something about the LTR that Hill Country is offering it alongside their customs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd suggest the LTR.  Try handling a PSS and an LTR at the same time, if possible.  They're both very accurate but the weight and size difference are quite significant.  I only shoot out to 300 yards so I chose the LTR.  I don't think you'll miss the longer tube that much if you only plan on shooting under 300 yards.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
I beleive the Savage is the Mini 14 of tactical weapons. I dont care what great things the Amer. Riflmn. said. GG
View Quote

By saying that are you suggesting that Savages are not accurate? Are you saying that they are poorly designed?

I curious as to how you compare the two.
View Quote
I agree with Maynard.  I have a Savage 12FV (heavy barrel) in .223 with the Choate Ultimate Sniper (like the one that FULLMAGTAP mentioned) stock and I will compare it to a Remington anyday.  I also have a Savage 110FP with the same setup in .30-06 (to go with my Garands).  Not knocking Remington, just saying the Savage is as accurate for several hundred $$$ less.  So, Gun Guru, you know more than the experts?  Hmmmmm.  Before someone mentions how expensive the Choate stock is, I would have put that on either the Remington or the Savage, so that is a wash.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have Savage 10fp in .223 & .308. They are bothe no-bullshit 1/4" guns with hand loads. I did the triggers myself also. I really like these rifles! They are everything the others have said about them. That said, I really prefer my Remingtons any day. The Savages are longer actions, heavier, and actually kinda ugly. The triggers are not as tuneable either.
I would venture to say that if you want a rifle on a budget, get the Savage & expect to have mediocre resale value. If you have a few extra bucks, get the Rem & you will also have good resale value.
Scott
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I beleive the Savage is the Mini 14 of tactical weapons. I dont care what great things the Amer. Riflmn. said. GG
View Quote

By saying that are you suggesting that Savages are not accurate? Are you saying that they are poorly designed?

View Quote
I agree with Maynard.  I have a Savage 12FV (heavy barrel) in .223 with the Choate Ultimate Sniper (like the one that FULLMAGTAP mentioned) stock and I will compare it to a Remington anyday.  I also have a Savage 110FP with the same setup in .30-06 (to go with my Garands).  Not knocking Remington, just saying the Savage is as accurate for several hundred $$$ less.  So, Gun Guru, you know more than the experts?  Hmmmmm.  Before someone mentions how expensive the Choate stock is, I would have put that on either the Remington or the Savage, so that is a wash.
View Quote

Of course you will agree, you own one, all people are like that. If you own a chevy, whats going to be the best car, Chevrolet.
GG
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I am meaning in affordability, The mini 14 is more affordable compared to the AR, But is still capable of getting the job done, volume of fire, but still people treat the mini 14 as a bastard child. Hence my feeling on the 110
GG
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top