Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 10:50:04 AM EDT
I am planning on building the Tamiya 1/32 F-15E model for my brother, who is a WSO, as a gift for him when he graduates from his training.

I want to make it as accurate and detailed as possible. I've been checking out this website called www.f-15estrikeeagle.com/navigation/index_intro.htm to get some tips and things. It has been a while since I've done any model building, so I don't know what good places are to buy supplies from. I used to get them all locally, but that was a while ago and the hobby store that was near me is long gone.

Anyway, I noticed that there were some pretty nice looking accessories for this kit listed on that website. There are two accessory manufacturers that make some parts I'd like to get for my kit, but I can't seem to find any place in the US that lists them for sale on their website. The two companies are Flightpath, UK and Eduard Model Accessories.

In particular I am looking for these two items:

Eduard 32 031   F-15E Strike Eagle Photo-etched detail set for Tamiya kit

Flightpath, UK FP-GS-006  F-15 Eagle Tail Pipe Set

Does anyone know where I can get these? What are some good reputable places to buy from on the net?

I'd also appreciate any tips anyone wants to give me on this build. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Squadron

Haven't delt with them for a while, but they were al;ways decent on prices and had excellent shipping times.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link. I see they have the Eduard stuff I was looking for, but not the Flightpath stuff. One down...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Squadron

Haven't delt with them for a while, but they were al;ways decent on prices and had excellent shipping times.

The Squadron Shop?  Wow, I remember travelling an hour to get to he one in/near DC, that place was unreal.

ANother tip, get the markings off his plane, there are several companies that have sheets and sheets of authentic, and better than stock, decals, so you can get the markings exact.

Check Squadron/signal publications, if they are still in business, they ahve a great "in detail" series you can consult on any particular acft.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Forgot, go to a bookstore of a place with a good mag selection, "Finescale Modeller" will have tons of ads for detail kits you seek.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Squadron

The Squadron Shop?  Wow, I remember travelling an hour to get to he one in/near DC, that place was unreal.

ANother tip, get the markings off his plane, there are several companies that have sheets and sheets of authentic, and better than stock, decals, so you can get the markings exact.

Check Squadron/signal publications, if they are still in business, they ahve a great "in detail" series you can consult on any particular acft.

Thanks for the advice. I planned on getting the markings exact if I can, but I don't want to let on to him what I am doing, so hopefully I will be able to get that info without directly asking him. I also planned to put his name and his pilot's name on the side.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I built that one....it's a monster. I love the Mudhen...

Check out here-Aircraft Resource Center

Great website for plane builders..
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:54:58 AM EDT
[#7]
BTT, still need to find a place that sells the Flightpath stuff. Also, any other tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Here you go....

www.greatmodels.com

They have it listed as  1/32 FPGS009 F-15 Tail Pipe Set.

If you have any questions IM me, I have been building models for 25 years, so I have a few tips and tricks up my sleeve.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here you go....

www.greatmodels.com

If you have any questions IM me, I have been building models for 25 years, so I have a few tips and tricks up my sleeve.

Awsome! Thanks for the link and the offer!

I'm thinking that the kit should come in today. I'll let you know if I have any questions once I get started on it. Thanks again!

ETA: Wow, is that expensive! I may wait and see what the stock tailpipes look like first.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here you go....

www.greatmodels.com

I'm thinking that the kit should come in today. I'll let you know if I have any questions once I get started on it. Thanks again!

ETA: Wow, is that expensive! I may wait and see what the stock tailpipes look like first.

You probably will be alright with thw stock pipes. Especially with the higher end kits such as Tamiya. I haven't built any of their aircraft yet, but I have built alot of thier armor kit and the quality is always excellent.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here you go....

www.greatmodels.com

You probably will be alright with thw stock pipes. Especially with the higher end kits such as Tamiya. I haven't built any of their aircraft yet, but I have built alot of thier armor kit and the quality is always excellent.

I think you're probably right. You can see that the Flightpath kit does add a lot of detail though.

Check out Guy Wilson's build on this website: www.f-15estrikeeagle.com/navigation/index_modelgallery.htm (You'll have to click on 1/32 on the left nav bar) and compare it with some of the other kits in there that used the stock pipes. The stock ones still look nice though.

One thing I don't care for is all the weathering that Guy Wilson used. I think the AF keeps their jets a little cleaner don't you? I think a little weathering is ok, but not too much.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

... there are several companies that have sheets and sheets of authentic, and better than stock, decals, so you can get the markings exact.

Would like more info. Links?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here you go....

www.greatmodels.com

I think you're probably right. You can see that the Flightpath kit does add a lot of detail though.

Check out Guy Wilson's build on this website: www.f-15estrikeeagle.com/navigation/index_modelgallery.htm (You'll have to click on 1/32 on the left nav bar) and compare it with some of the other kits in there that used the stock pipes. The stock ones still look nice though.

One thing I don't care for is all the weathering that Guy Wilson used. I think the AF keeps their jets a little cleaner don't you? I think a little weathering is ok, but not too much.

Weathering to some extent is natural, i.e. fading paint, oil stains/streaks, paint chipping around access panels, some modelers tend to over do it in my opinion. Armor models need alot of weathering and dirtying up, but on aircraft a little goes long way.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Go here...

]www.aircraftresourcecenter.com]

got to the walkaround section...jet aircraft, it has a lot of good photos of the F-15E.

After looking at the Strike Eagle page, I gonna have to get me on of the Tamiya 1/32 kits now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top