Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Shot in the chest that didn't kill him?

Must have been a 9mm.

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#7]
It's absolutely criminal that the robbery victim could be sued for protecting his own life.

I wonder if the guy could counter-sue for emotional distress and medical (therapy) damages?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#8]
The man told the teen he would give him his wallet and acted as though he was going to get it, but instead grabbed a larger caliber revolver that was lying on the seat, police said.

WTF?large caliber and the kid walked away and was sitting on the curb???

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#10]
To Too
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must have been a 9mm 45 .

Fixed it for ya

Refix'd
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Most likely a 38.  A 357 would have done more damage as would have anything larger.  We are talking about the liberal media.  Anything over a 22 is large caliber.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must have been a 9mm 45 .38.

Fixed it for ya

Refix'd

Properly fixed
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#14]
This didn't happen in a crap hole area...
I live in a upper middle class (gated) neighborhood in Valley Ranch, a suburb of Dallas. The city of
Dallas, in their infinite wisdom; decided to classify two apartment complexes in my community as
section 8 (government assisted housing). This happened a few years ago and the cities contract with
the apartments expires this year and it will not be renewed...thank God. Both sets of these apartments
are very nice and according to the Valley Ranch Association the apartment owners have had enough.

Social engineering doesn't work...never has and it never will. Who the hell wants to sit in the backyard
of their $250K-$500K home and listen to the distant sound of gangster rap from half a mile away?
The new elementary school in the area went down the crapper within the fist year of the section 8
classification. The local home owners pulled their kids out of that school like it was on fire.
Petty crime went up 200 fold...I can't wait to get these #*%! out of the community. They leave in
mass when the free ride is over.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must have been a 9mm 45 .38 and a .22.

Fixed it for ya

Refix'd

Properly fixed

Fix'd once and for all.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a CHL in texas and would be interested to know if any lawyers running around AR-15 have any idea how this will shake out civilly.  Obviously, the charges will most likely be dropped in criminal courts, but I wonder if this kids family will win the aruguement on whether the use of lethal force in this situation was necessary, that'll be the crutch.  How much of an impact will the kids age have on the civil trial.  Additionally, in your expert opinion, how lenient are juries in this type of situation?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, it is too bad that he lived.

That's not too far from me either.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#18]
More proof that we can't rely on one-shot-stops.  Handgun rounds are not 100% even center mass.  Large calibre revolver probably means .357 but could be a more powerful or larger cartridge.  Either way, people need to learn to put at least two to three rounds in anything worth shooting.  It helps if you sing Mozambique as you do it - gives you a nice rhythm.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#19]

From the article:

As he pushed the teen’s gun away, the man shot the suspect, police said.

Training works.

Carry your gun, and train how to use it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Most likely a 38.  A 357 would have done more damage as would have anything larger.  We are talking about the liberal media.  Anything over a 22 Red Ryder is large caliber.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Nicely handled, but he apparently needs a bigger caliber and/or better bullets.  Darwin at work--but not working quiiiite hard enough.  

A few follow up shots were certainly called for.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I am all for the killing of those who would commit violent crimes.  It teaches a lesson to all other would-be punks.  As far as civil suit goes, wouldn't the punk's family have more ground to stand on if the kid was dead?  I know it will probably come down to some "class" issue, though.  I was trained to be sure that (in a fight) make sure the threat is dead.  But, now, as a civie, does this still hold true?  I only question because I've heard of lots of cases of assailants' families suing and winning...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#25]
My favorite is in Texas, the criminal is charged with all the deaths in the accident - including the ones that were on his side.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Another +1 for the good guys.
Too bad the ghetto rat lived, although he probablty learned a valuable lesson( we can only hope).
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#27]
All the more reason to practice "Double taps" (I do!)
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Another +1 for the good guys.
Too bad the ghetto rat lived, although he probablty learned a valuable lesson( we can only hope).

Unless he learned

"Nextest  time, I gonna shoots da man a foe he can shoots me."

Or

"Voy a tirar al individuo siguiente antes de que él me tire."

Or

"I will shoot the next victim without provocation, so he is unable to retaliate orstrike pre-emptively."
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have a CHL in texas and would be interested to know if any lawyers running around AR-15 have any idea how this will shake out civilly.  Obviously, the charges will most likely be dropped in criminal courts, but I wonder if this kids family will win the aruguement on whether the use of lethal force in this situation was necessary, that'll be the crutch.  How much of an impact will the kids age have on the civil trial.  Additionally, in your expert opinion, how lenient are juries in this type of situation?  

Unless state laws specifically preclude a civil suit somehow, it is always a possibility and then a jury trial is a crap shoot no pun intended.  Self defense can be a defense to a civil trial as well but even if you are right you will probably be bankrupt and right.  State laws and federal for that matter really need a protection from civil suit provision if a grand jury refuses to indite in cases like this.  This may already exist but I have not found it anywhere.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#30]
"too" not "to"

And he needs to learn double taps!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#31]

I'll bet there was some pucker factor for the victim while the police were 'looking for' the perp's gun.  Without that gun...well, it could've been uglier, at least in a PR way.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must have been a 9mm 45 .38 and a .22.
Any of the above.

Fixed it for ya

Refix'd

Properly fixed

Fix'd once and for all.

They all are teh suck.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I bet the lawyers are just lining up to sue the robbery victim.  

Quoted:

Grand Jury? No bill.

Civil case? No lawyer would touch it on a contingent fee basis.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#34]
need to finish the job
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Remember........handguns suck no matter what caliber.  But he ended the threat, yes?  

BTW.....he should be given a medal, and reimbursed for the cost of the bullet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top