Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 8:13:17 AM EDT
I'm hoping these pics are viewable.

6 weeks:

This morning: A little over 5 months

Mother:

Father:

whole album:  http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/michaelj1978/album?.dir=5dbf

Tonight is his last week of puppy class for the 3-6 month old group.  He's got 20 pounds on all the other dogs and twice the smarts.  Leash walking is a breeze, he never tugs or takes off.  Always at my side, and when I stop he sits right next to me.  In the yard he has free roam and won't run off (not fenced).  He's got his sit, lay down, and we're still working on stay.  He can also shake on command.  I swear he also has some retriever in him as he'll bring a tennis/baseball back to me everytime.  He also weighs about 70-72 now.  Should pop the 100 mark by 8 months I'm hoping.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a good looking dog. I had a Shepherd/Timberwolf mix that I just lost to kidney failure at just under a year old. Still miss him everyday. If we weren't about to have a baby, I would get another in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats a cute little dog you got there. (My last dog weighed 170)
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That guy is either a Hobbit, or that dog is fricking huge!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Fantastic looking dog you have michaelj1978.  I have a shep x and a pure black lab.

Now your dog may retrieve baseballs but this guy below brings back the whole team

Father:
f3.yahoofs.com/users/41a65255zf3573736/5dbf/__sr_/e97a.jpg?phIm9OEBQ22z49Qp

Is he a Keeshond - newfie cross?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Fantastic looking dog you have michaelj1978.  I have a shep x and a pure black lab.

Now your dog may retrieve baseballs but this guy below brings back the whole team

Father:
f3.yahoofs.com/users/41a65255zf3573736/5dbf/__sr_/e97a.jpg?phIm9OEBQ22z49Qp

Is he a Keeshond - newfie cross?

Both parents are Shiloh's.  They come in different colors and coat lengths.  The shilohs are a cross between a German (not American) Shepherd and an Alaskan Malamute.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Beautiful boy you got there. I love the Shiloh Shepherds, they get huge! My Labrador pup was 55 pounds at 5 months of age. He is currently 89 pounds of solid muscle at 10 months. I believe your dog will definitely top 100 pounds by 8-9 months. He is gonna be huge! Mine started to slow down on his growth at about 8 months, and probably has only about 10-15 pounds more of fillin out to go, but since yours is considered a giant breed, He will most likely double his current weight. I bet he is stronger than an ox. Post more pics if you take them, especially as he grows. Can you take short videos with your camera? It would be cool to see him in motion on a retrieve.

Here is a pic of my Labrador Buddy at 10 months.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't see shit!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]
pics should be working now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#9]
my Shiloh is due May 5th so I should have the pup  ~ 9 weeks later

I can't wait!!! Scooter is the greatest all around hunting dog ever but having another dog around will be swell

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
my Shiloh is due May 5th so I should have the pup  ~ 9 weeks later

I can't wait!!! Scooter is the greatest all around hunting dog ever but having another dog around will be swell

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/heron163/ScooterRuns1.jpg

you'll love it.. it'll be about the same size as the dog you have for a month,  then you blink and it's double the size
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#11]
i still cant see any of the top pics.  first one i see is the 2nd one under Father.  looks like a MONSTER!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Any of the pics working now?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Good God, that is the biggest dog I've ever seen!  The man doesn't look like any lightweight and the dog dwarfs him.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I just weighed Mauser, and at 5 months, 1 week, he weighs 75.5 pounds.  He'll top 80 before 6 months.

We also finished our puppy training class tonight.  The instructor wants him to skip the beginner class and go straight to advanced beginner to earn his CGC  (canine good citizen) certificate.  He was by far the biggest and best in his puppy class (3-6 month old dogs).   The whole time he was either setting or laying next to me while all the other dogs were yapping and trying to break their owners arms off tugging on the leashes.  This is one dog that I'm really proud and glad I got him.  He's unlike any other dog I've run across.  Most are hyper and stupid, hyper and smart or laid back and stupid.  He's so laid back but at the same time will come to attention and is smart as hell.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#15]
damn, i thought my dog was big.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice! I have a GERMAN GSD (both his parents are from Germany).
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#17]
those ears!
good photos yall!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just weighed Mauser, and at 5 months, 1 week, he weighs 75.5 pounds.  He'll top 80 before 6 months.

We also finished our puppy training class tonight.  The instructor wants him to skip the beginner class and go straight to advanced beginner to earn his CGC  (canine good citizen) certificate.  He was by far the biggest and best in his puppy class (3-6 month old dogs).   The whole time he was either setting or laying next to me while all the other dogs were yapping and trying to break their owners arms off tugging on the leashes.  This is one dog that I'm really proud and glad I got him.  He's unlike any other dog I've run across.  Most are hyper and stupid, hyper and smart or laid back and stupid.  He's so laid back but at the same time will come to attention and is smart as hell.  

be careful about letting him get too big too fast - it can be a problem in the larger breeds leading to early joint/bone/ligament problems.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice looking pup.  Here's my girl Adja (zvv1)  She is just under 4 years old:

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
those ears!
good photos yall!

What's his glide ratio???
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
those ears!
good photos yall!

glide, more like verticle take off.
The canine version of the osprey.

he'll grow into them though and be reduced to a glider..
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
those ears!
good photos yall!

One day he's going to grow into them and they'll be tiny little stumps poking out of his head.  

I'm not giving him anything treat wise besides his food suppliments and a pig ear once a week.  He has no fat on him at all, and even at just 5 months is a beast.  I'll try to pin him but he can get out already, with my 215lbs on his back.  He's going to be one tough dog in a year.  No signs of pano yet and his mother never had it, his father (165lbs) only had it for a week or two.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
those ears!
good photos yall!

One day he's going to grow into them and they'll be tiny little stumps poking out of his head.  

I'm not giving him anything treat wise besides his food suppliments and a pig ear once a week.  He has no fat on him at all, and even at just 5 months is a beast.  I'll try to pin him but he can get out already, with my 215lbs on his back.  He's going to be one tough dog in a year.  No signs of pano yet and his mother never had it, his father (165lbs) only had it for a week or two.

Good freaking cripes!

It's the Liger of the dog world.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#25]
First 11 pics are broken.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Its nice to see someone who takes the time with training at the puppy stage. Its saves so much hassle for all involved later on.
He's a great BIG good looking pup.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Its nice to see someone who takes the time with training at the puppy stage. Its saves so much hassle for all involved later on.
He's a great BIG good looking pup.

My parents neighbors down the street have a huge St. Bernard and it pulls them all over when they try to walk it.  I know they aren't the smartest dogs, but I'd put money that it's never seen any formal training.   I know Mauser will be twice as strong as me when he's full grown and it's nice to know he'll be under full control.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#29]
might want to cut down on the pig ears and give him some kind of raw bones instead.   pig ears are straight fat and not that good for the kidney (or is it liver?).   since he is a big dog the regular schedule for vaccinations might not be to bad, but do not get annual vaccinations once the puppy series is done.   And don't get any "extra" vaccinations for diseases that are not prevalent in your area, it is just an extra immune depressant.   If you want to get vaccinations for the dog as an adult, at the most do it every three years.   Think- how often do humans get "boosters" once they are adults?

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#30]
We get to try out for his "AP" class tonight.  I talked to the lady in charge and we get a free try out so she can observe him and see if he's really as smart as the puppy class instructor said.  She also said the trainer's hot an single.  Too bad I'm neither.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
might want to cut down on the pig ears and give him some kind of raw bones instead.   pig ears are straight fat and not that good for the kidney (or is it liver?).   since he is a big dog the regular schedule for vaccinations might not be to bad, but do not get annual vaccinations once the puppy series is done.   And don't get any "extra" vaccinations for diseases that are not prevalent in your area, it is just an extra immune depressant.   If you want to get vaccinations for the dog as an adult, at the most do it every three years.   Think- how often do humans get "boosters" once they are adults?

Excellent advice!   Check the laws and see what shots you have to get and when.  Then see if you can opt out by doing a procedure called Tittering (sp?)
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Mauser and my Shiloh to be have the same dad... the small world of dogs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top