Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 4:36:04 AM EDT
Got bombed on my windshield the other day while driving....

A big WHITE crap.

I've pooped colors before....brown, green, yellow dotted (corn) but never white.

What are these birds eating to make them poop white?

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, the white stuff is the highly-concentrated pee.  The black lump is the poo.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Unlike mammals, birds don't urinate. Their kidneys extract nitrogenous wastes from the bloodstream, but instead of excreting it as urea dissolved in urine as we do, they excrete it in the form of uric acid. Uric acid has a very low solubility in water, so it emerges as a white paste. This material, as well as the output of the intestines, emerges from the bird's cloaca. The cloaca is a multi-purpose hole for birds: their wastes come out of it, they have sex by putting their cloacas together, and females lay eggs out of it.

Duh...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
God created them that way.  Who are you to question Him?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, I forgot to mention....

It also had a few dark chunks in it, but like I say....mostly white.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Totally different digestive system.  For one, birds have no bladder nor teeth.  Birds must ingest stones, aka "grit" so the gizzard has something to crush the food from the crop against.  These grit wear away, leaving behind minerals which may be white.

Birds have no large intestine, hence they have no microflora (bacteria) that generate the familiar brown color along with bile.  

And birds (save ostriches) have no bladder, so their urine is often excreted with the feces.  High mineral content in the urine often has a white precipitate.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

OK, I admit it - I'm gay. -Garandman 16FEB06

Son, you need to get a life.

Your fixation with me and my life ain't healthy.

I say this because I care.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The real fun begins when the birds feast on mulberries, and the fecal matter contains a very concentrated and almost impossible to wash out purple pigment.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Search me....

but they doo-doo.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Unlike mammals, birds don't urinate. Their kidneys extract nitrogenous wastes from the bloodstream, but instead of excreting it as urea dissolved in urine as we do, they excrete it in the form of uric acid. Uric acid has a very low solubility in water, so it emerges as a white paste. This material, as well as the output of the intestines, emerges from the bird's cloaca. The cloaca is a multi-purpose hole for birds: their wastes come out of it, they have sex by putting their cloacas together, and females lay eggs out of it.

Duh...

I don't know if I am fascinated or disgusted.  But thanks either way.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
IIRC, the white stuff is the highly-concentrated pee.  The black lump is the poo.

Kharn

Right. If my chickens get an increase in the white portion on the poo/pee they are sick or dehydrated.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:53:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That reply is right out of the Dark Ages:
" Don't question anything God did!".  Ohhhhh,we be scared savages, we be!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Right. If my chickens get an increase in the white portion on the poo/pee they are sick or dehydrated.

There is a real bad chicken choking joke in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:58:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Duh...

I don't know if I am fascinated or disgusted.  But thanks either way.

I goggled "Why is bird poop white"....I feel the same way. I will never look at a birds butt the same again
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#14]
The question should be "Why do birds wait until you've finished waxing the (black) car before pooping on it?"...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:13:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The question should be "Why do birds wait until you've finished waxing the (black) car before pooping on it?"...

Aint that the truth. I got a Dark Blue Cherokee Sport. I have a two car detached garage with a car port on the side of the Garage.

It still get's hit after a wash.

All of my trees are in the front yard. I have no trees, just power lines, near the garage. It is like a poop magnent.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aint that the truth. I got a Dark Blue Cherokee Sport. I have a two car detached garage with a car port on the side of the Garage.

It still get's hit after a wash.

All of my trees are in the front yard. I have no trees, just power lines, near the garage. It is like a poop magnent.

Like in the commercial (Windex?), they sit up there on the power lines and wait for the right moment.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Duh...

You'd be amazed that birds can reproduce at all if you saw how difficult it is for them to have sex.

FWIW, I raise a few ducks & geese and I never knew what sex they were until they were adults. I bought a book on sexing fowl and after reading up on the proceedure, I decided it wasn't that important to know right away.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#18]
My God, is there anything that can't be googled?
And you guys that already knew the answer, how long have you been sitting on that little gem of knowledge???
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I admit it - I'm gay. -Garandman 16FEB06

The fact that you think I really give a crap about you makes me laugh.  As far as the sigline goes...I simply thought that was funny.  Don't flatter yourself by thinking otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Duh...

Seriously..........THANK YOU Mr. Science!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#21]
that white shit will eat your car's finish.  you should wash it off ASAP to prevent paint damage
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#22]
So the old saying about the white part being shit also is not true?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
that white shit piss will eat your car's finish.  you should wash it off ASAP to prevent paint damage

You forgot already?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The real fun begins when the birds feast on mulberries, and the fecal matter contains a very concentrated and almost impossible to wash out purple pigment.

I have one in front of my house, if I step on a crushed berry it stains my skin purple and its like ink to get off, fucking birds eat it and they'll stain my white fence or the side of my house
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I now know one more thing in life to help me get through the day
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey!  You and the Boids have something in common!  Neither of you washes your hands after a steamy dump!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You got that right.  When I was a kid we had a mulberry tree in the back yard.  Mom would hang the sheets on the line to dry and I can still hear her screaming about the birds as she would take the sheets back to the laundry room to get the bird dirt out of them.  They finally cut it down.  The berries were tasty.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#29]
couldn't you have lived happily ever after without knowing this?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fact that you think I really give a crap about you makes me laugh.  As far as the sigline goes...I simply thought that was funny.  Don't flatter yourself by thinking otherwise.

The fact that you turned a bird poop thread into an opportunity to poop on me because of your differing views on creation / evolution tells the whole story on you.

Let it go, man. Just enjoy a good bird poop thread. Its not like the opportunity comes along that often

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Mimus Polyglottos  the Northern Mockingbird, favors mulberries and takes great delight in leaving its mark upon our frail human efforts at tidiness.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Some birds are good shots!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#34]
The white part isn't fecal matter.  It's uric acid, secreted by the bird's kidneys.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
that white shit will eat your car's finish.  you should wash it off ASAP to prevent paint damage

Which brings to mind an interesting experiment - if a human laid a turd on my car, and I didn't wash it off, I wonder if it would hurt my paint?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which brings to mind an interesting experiment - if a human laid a turd on my car, and I didn't wash it off, I wonder if it would hurt my paint?

If they had just has Taco Bell, it would probably eat right through the metal!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top