Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 9:16:14 PM EDT
Machine gun find results in jail term
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 03/25/06
BY KATHLEEN HOPKINS
TOMS RIVER BUREAU
TOMS RIVER — Lamont Anderson was walking in Ocean County Park in Lakewood in March last year when he came upon an unusual find — a loaded machine gun.

Instead of notifying police, Anderson picked it up, put it in his waistband and went about his business, authorities said.

Anderson was arrested later the same day by Lakewood police, and on Friday he was sentenced to a 90-day jail term.

A judge on Friday told Anderson he was lucky the police didn't shoot him. A prosecutor called Anderson's actions stupid.

Anderson, 23, was arrested March 24, 2005, after police noticed the weapon, a .22-caliber machine gun, protruding from his waistband, said John Foti, an Ocean County prosecutor. The weapon had a large-capacity magazine loaded with ammunition, Foti said.

Anderson on Friday told Superior Court Judge James N. Citta he found the gun in bushes in Ocean County Park. Although he decided to take it, Anderson told the judge he had no intentions of using it.

"You're lucky you weren't shot on the spot when they (the police) saw it in your waistband," Citta told Anderson.

"It really is an act of stupidity," Foti said to the judge, adding that a jail term might "get (Anderson's) attention."

Citta sentenced Anderson to 90 days in the Ocean County Jail and placed him on probation for three years.

Kathleen Hopkins: (732) 557-5732 or [email protected]

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
tec-22?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
tec-22?

has to be, don't know of anything else that would fit.  Maybe the Calico-22 but unlikely.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
tec-22?

Were those ever made in selective fire?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
90 days in jail?  That's no machine gun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
How do they know it was a machine gun? Did they actually test fire it, or was it just the media over-hyping it?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tec-22?

Were those ever made in selective fire?

no, but journalists typically have their selector stuck in the "dumbass" position
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Machine gun find results in jail term
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 03/25/06
BY KATHLEEN HOPKINS
TOMS RIVER BUREAU
TOMS RIVER — Lamont Anderson was walking in Ocean County Park in Lakewood in March last year when he came upon an unusual find — a loaded machine gun.

Instead of notifying police, Anderson picked it up, put it in his waistband and went about his business, authorities said.

Anderson was arrested later the same day by Lakewood police, and on Friday he was sentenced to a 90-day jail term.

A judge on Friday told Anderson he was lucky the police didn't shoot him. A prosecutor called Anderson's actions stupid.

Anderson, 23, was arrested March 24, 2005, after police noticed the weapon, a .22-caliber machine gun, protruding from his waistband, said John Foti, an Ocean County prosecutor. The weapon had a large-capacity magazine loaded with ammunition, Foti said.

Anderson on Friday told Superior Court Judge James N. Citta he found the gun in bushes in Ocean County Park. Although he decided to take it, Anderson told the judge he had no intentions of using it.

"You're lucky you weren't shot on the spot when they (the police) saw it in your waistband," Citta told Anderson.

"It really is an act of stupidity," Foti said to the judge, adding that a jail term might "get (Anderson's) attention."

Citta sentenced Anderson to 90 days in the Ocean County Jail and placed him on probation for three years.

Kathleen Hopkins: (732) 557-5732 or [email protected]

What a load of crap  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Typical media hype.

The local media called an officers Ar-15 a "lethal sub machine gun".
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Im sure a NJ resident can explain this more thorughly but i believe under NJ  law (DC is the same also)

anything that can fire more than ?number of shots before reloading (even if it is semi auto ) is a machine gun
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
i bet it was just a regular old P99 or something like that.  "machine gun" just sounds so much more menacing.

how many sheep could give you the real definition of "machine gun"?  what about "semi-auto"?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#11]
WOW.  I didn't hear about that and thats about 20 miles from my house and about 4 miles from where i used to work.  That town is going downhill fast.  i know a couple police officers who say it's getting like Newark NJ.  Drugs and violence all over the place.  That newspaper (asbury Park Press) is also not to gun friendly.

As Jersey clasifies and "machine gun":(straight from the state's webite)

I."Machine gun" means any firearm, mechanism or instrument not requiring that the trigger be pressed for each shot and having a reservoir, belt or other means of storing and carrying ammunition which can be loaded into the firearm, mechanism or instrument and fired therefrom.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
WOW.  I didn't hear about that and thats about 20 miles from my house and about 4 miles from where i used to work.  That town is going downhill fast.  i know a couple police officers who say it's getting like Newark NJ.  Drugs and violence all over the place.  That newspaper (asbury Park Press) is also not to gun friendly.

I."Machine gun" means any firearm, mechanism or instrument not requiring that the trigger be pressed for each shot and having a reservoir, belt or other means of storing and carrying ammunition which can be loaded into the firearm, mechanism or instrument and fired therefrom.

Even by that definition, a Tec-22 isn't a machinegun.  Note the use of the word AND.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Too bad he wasnt a illegal , he would have got off Scott-free
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even by that definition, a Tec-22 isn't a machinegun.  Note the use of the word AND.

This might help.  

w."Assault firearm" means:

(1)The following firearms:

Algimec AGM1 type

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

Armalite AR-180 type

Australian Automatic Arms SAR

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900

CETME G3

Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type

Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types

Demro TAC-1 carbine type

Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types

FAMAS MAS223 types

FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms

Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns

G3SA type

Galil type Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1

Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms

M1 carbine type

M14S type

MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type firearms

PJK M-68 carbine type

Plainfield Machine Company Carbine

Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF

SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types

SKS with detachable magazine type

Spectre Auto carbine type

Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type

Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types

Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms

USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun

Uzi type semi-automatic firearms

Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk.

(2)Any firearm manufactured under any designation which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed above.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This might help.  

w."Assault firearm" means:

(1)The following firearms:

~snip~

Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms

~snip~

(2)Any firearm manufactured under any designation which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed above.

Still ain't a machinegun.  Oh, wait.  It has a barrel shroud, any gun with a barrel shroud HAS to be a machinegun.  

BTW:  My potato gun has a barrel shroud, and it's black, and it has a pistol grip, and a forward grip, and it has a collapsible stock.  OMG!  Ban the assault potato machine gun for the children!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#16]
If it was like the one I had it would fire three and rour round burst at times. Just not when I wanted it to.

There was a recall on the early ones, some type of sear problem. With a good mag it ran surprisingly well.

It ain't a machine gun though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
...Anderson, 23, was arrested March 24, 2005, after police noticed the weapon, a .22-caliber machine gun, protruding from his waistband, said John Foti, an Ocean County prosecutor. The weapon had a large-capacity magazine loaded with ammunition, Foti said....

He is profeshinall enuf to carry a Glock Foti!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top