Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 4:23:30 PM EDT

Just this last Friday 4/7/06 I bought a new 19" Samsung 930a flat panel monitor from Circuit City for $379.
After having it hooked up a few hours, I just happen to notice ONE bad pixel. It's in the lower left corner approx 1.5" from the left and 3" from the bottom.
It doesn't really bother me THAT much, but I'm at odds as to whether I should swap it out for another unit. For $380, It should be right. On the other hand, is it really worth boxing back up and driving 'cross town to replace.
I've got about 10 more days to make up my mind, before having to deal directly with Samsung.
The Cust. Svc. 'gal at Circuit City said I've got 14 days from the date of purchase to return, no questions asked.

Just curious what the Arfcom consensus is here.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I did once. I aint paying for that shit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Return it.  You'll wish you had if you don't.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Since it is a local retailer, I'd say yes.

Probably not worth the hassle if it was mail order.

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, and I'm in the business.  I wouldn't ask a client of mine to accept that either.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Would you buy a new car for a new price with "just one dent" in the door.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
yes
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate to be fussy and all, 'cuz it's only the size of a fly speck...BUT it's still noticeable...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
1 bad pixel today, 20 bad pixels next month? Who knows? Exchange it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I would, then buy the 19" DEll thats on sale for $230 or the 20" for $363
ETA: linkage

Dell 1907FP 19in LCD (19”) flat panel 8ms response, 700:1 contrast, DVI now 20% off - $271.20 - $35 off Coupon
Code: QFTPZQCNBRH9TD Exp 4/20 = $236.20 shipped free.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd take it back.  It would be a personal thing.  I'd probably just be waiting for the day someone notices it..."did you know you had a dead pixel?"  Sort of like saying "did you know those pants make your ass look big?"
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#12]
good luck returning it.

sellers/manufacturers usually have a clause stating something along the lines of there can be X number of dead pixels and it is considered still good.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
We have a 15" LCD monitor in one of our server racks that has a bad pixel. It is in the server room for that reason. It is funny as hell after a while but everyone who stands in front of points to it and says "bad pixel", sometimes they say it repeatedly like they are OCD, "bad pixel, you have a bad pixel".

My point is, you will look for the bad pixel every time you look at the screen.

Bob
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#14]
take it back while you can.
IF it was a 200 buck monitor, that would be different, but for twice that, it needs to be right
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm actually glad I asked the 'gal tonight when I was there an hour ago.

Actually, the reason I was there again tonight is because the rebate offers were changed two days after I bought an $899 laptop and this $379 monitor.
When I bought this stuff on the 7th, there was $150 total in rebates on the laptop, none on the monitor.
Today while online, showing the guys at work what I got, I noticed the monitor now had $80 in rebates effective on the 9th, and the laptop had an additional $50 in rebates.
This was $130 total in additional rebates that I missed by two days.
Luckily for me, the 'gal at the counter was cool and hooked me up with everything I needed.

So now, the laptop is $699 after rebates and the monitor is $299.

Here's the laptop I bought: (I bumped the RAM to 1G for $99)
www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-Satellite-Notebook-PC-A105-S2071-/sem/rpsm/oid/147198/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Return it and keep doing so until you get one that has NO dead pixels.
I had the same problem with a plasma tv. I went through 4 of them until I got one that was ok- all had 1 bad pixel.
The store was pissed but I explained to them if they couldn't get me a good one then I would take my money somewhere else.
After that the next one was perfect.

It's your money. Insist on quality.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
good luck returning it.

sellers/manufacturers usually have a clause stating something along the lines of there can be X number of dead pixels and it is considered still good.

Not so at Circuit City.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends.

Is it dead, or stuck on some weird ass color? Is it bothersome, or does it not bother you since its in the corner.

Dead pixels on LCD's are a fact of life. Be happy you only have one, I've known some guys that score 3 or 4 and have some of them right smack in the middle of the monitor. Some manufacturers do not accept returns for 1 dead pixel as its just the nature of the beast with LCD's.

Also, you might get a monitor thats far worse and has a pixel stuck on green or some shit right smack in the middle. How many times will they let you keep exchanging? Eventually there going to tell you tough shit, deal with it.

That said, I would return it. While dead pixels are a fact of life they are by no means the norm and theres a good chance your next monitor will be spotless. But, its always a bit of a gamble with such things.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
good luck returning it.

This is exactly what the girl told me tonight...
She said I could return it to Circuit City within 14 days "No questions asked", or deal with Samsung after that. She did mention that the Mfg divides the screen into "Quadrants" and they require "X" amount of bad pixels per quadrant to declare the screen "defective".
How stupid is THAT ?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Take it back - a few years ago a few dead pixels were 'acceptable' on flat panels, but not anymore.  We get the 1905FP's from Dell, nice monitors, never seen a single dead pixel.  I'd take it back and get another one/something else.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I had the exact same problem in the same location on my Samsung monitor. Send it back. You probably got my old one!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
return that shit
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Circuit City has a no questions asked return policy. Do it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
good luck returning it.

This is exactly what the girl told me tonight...
She said I could return it to Circuit City within 14 days "No questions asked", or deal with Samsung after that. She did mention that the Mfg divides the screen into "Quadrants" and they require "X" amount of bad pixels per quadrant to declare the screen "defective".
How stupid is THAT ?

Not stupid at all. Newegg's policy is the best - Dead Pixels Policy: Replacement or Refund for 8 or more dead pixels only

If Samsung will not deal with it, then in the future buy a real monitor - Viewsonic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a 17" LCD monitor at Best Buy about a year ago.  It had one bad pixel off to the left side.  I took it back and tried out the replacement in the store to make sure it was OK.  Worked fine.  The store people were easy to deal with.  

Take it back - as others have said, if you don't, the only thing you'll ever notice is that dead pixel.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Return it.  You DID NOT GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#27]
.....scanning my new 19 inch HP vs19 LCD for dead pixels.......
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#28]
no, because chances are the next one will have some bad pixels too. nature of the beast
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

In that case hes a stupid consumer otherwise he would have KNOWN that dead pixels are the nature of the beast. He got EXACTLY what he paid for. A monitor that did not come with any gaurentee to be dead pixel free.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#30]

I've been lucky enough to not have a bad pixel in any LCD screen since the bad pixel (line, actually) in my original Gameboy (1989).

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
good luck returning it.

yup. Sony when I was doing tech support for them had a really vague policy, and us outsourced guys never did get the full details.
one was enough if it was dead center. otherwise it had to be a blog or a certain number within a certain sized square area
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In that case hes a stupid consumer otherwise he would have KNOWN that dead pixels are the nature of the beast. He got EXACTLY what he paid for. A monitor that did not come with any gaurentee to be dead pixel free.

+1

Exactly
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#33]
return it
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Return it, you will always wish you had.  Plus, you never know what else might be wrong with it.
 Circut City sucks anyway.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a dead pixel on my laptop its down by the toolbar.

I figure I did preatty good out of the 1,764,000 pixels on my screeen only one is dead.

Neweggs return poilcy is 8 or more dead pixels
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a 42 inch LCD Mon/TV that is PERFECT.

I would have shit kittens and demanded a replacement if any 1 pixle had been DOA.

Return it.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#37]
My company is a Dell Solution Provider Direct.  We sell about $500,000 in Dell equipment a year (servers/workstations/tape systems/networking gear).  I have never had "bad pixels" on a display, although I know it happens.  I would take a substandard product like that back in a heartbeat.

Heck, I make Dell give our clients a new PC if their service crew screws up too much.  I have a business owner right now who bought the PC with next day service from us, and after a week of wrong part/dead part/whatever screwups I just tell my rep to replace it or I will.  They do it for me.

Send that POS back to CC - the fact that you're even asking shows you are not happy.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#38]
UPDATE

Well guys, I'm just back from a trip to Circuit City.

I returned the first monitor and exchanged it for another. The girl at the counter never even checked inside the box to confirm. She just grabbed another from stock and replaced it.

I did however, ask that they plug-in the replacement to verify a screen full of happy pixels.
They were more than willing to comply, and did it with courtesy and a smile.
The guy checked the screen in full black and full white. He combed over it pretty well, and even asked me to have a look.

I 'gotta tell you guys, I sure as shit CAN'T complain about the service I've received at Circuit City. It's a far cry from the bullshit I put up with two blocks away at Best Buy.

The Circuit City floor staff, counter people, customer service people, etc...  ALL seem sharp, polite and professional.
The dimwits at Best Buy reminded me of a bunch of HS drop-outs with an attitude.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Not just yes but HELL YES I'd return it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If Samsung will not deal with it, then in the future buy a real monitor - Viewsonic.

+1. For home use, you should have a CRT anyways...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Hell yes I would.
None of my Flat panels have dead pixels.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
UPDATE

Well guys, I'm just back from a trip to Circuit City.

I returned the first monitor and exchanged it for another. The girl at the counter never even checked inside the box to confirm. She just grabbed another from stock and replaced it.

I did however, ask that they plug-in the replacement to verify a screen full of happy pixels.
They were more than willing to comply, and did it with courtesy and a smile.
The guy checked the screen in full black and full white. He combed over it pretty well, and even asked me to have a look.

I 'gotta tell you guys, I sure as shit CAN'T complain about the service I've received at Circuit City. It's a far cry from the bullshit I put up with two blocks away at Best Buy.

The Circuit City floor staff, counter people, customer service people, etc...  ALL seem sharp, polite and professional.
The dimwits at Best Buy reminded me of a bunch of HS drop-outs with an attitude.

Customer service between the two stores is exactly opposite in Boise, ID.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Glad it turned out well for you.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#44]
HELL YES! Return it. Get another. I have seen dead pixels in every brand of LCD monitor though so don't let this deter you from Samsung.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
the Mfg divides the screen into "Quadrants" and they require "X" amount of bad pixels per quadrant to declare the screen "defective".
How stupid is THAT ?

LCDs are difficult to produce perfectly. They are very complicated.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#46]
depends on whether or not that pixel had any effect on my ability to destroy things while gaming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top