Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 3:38:53 PM EDT
I was at a gun store yesterday and was told that in four to five years there would be a huge glut of surplus ammo, due to the military being required to switch to all green ammo. Is this true
We all know how much stock you can put in gun store gossip .
If so when?
Thanks[
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF do they mean by "all green"  are they refering to green TIP ammo?  or that plastic case shit that is green, or what?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The ammo is green camofluage so that the bad guys cant see it
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
That's bullshit,  the military has been using super secret Green ammo since 1987.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Not likely to happen because green ammo is much more expensive.  Yes, they have been working on it but only for traning in the EU where lead has been phased out.  Here in the states where the ranges have tons of lead already in the backstops will see no significant benefit unless the EPA orders all ranges to clean up.

Don't expect a huge glut of non-green ammo anytime because it will not happen.  Ammo doesn't sit around in some forgotten building at the ASP, it is rotated to assure there is always a fresh supply.  Typically, ammo is only stored for months.  Back when I was in, we would shoot ammo that was at most a year old.

The Army runs on JIT now.  Surplus is a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the new ammo 87 times cleaner for the environment?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I think he means M855 (green tip)

We won't see any surplus ammo, ever, from the US military.
A Clinton Era excutive order prevents the military from surplusing "war material" to civilians.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
For those not in the know, green ammo contains no lead.  This is done by using tungsten and other powdered metals where lead was used.  And a non-lead priming compound.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
well, if you heard it at a gun store, IT MUST BE TRUE.

gun stores, as you know, are almost as credible as the internet
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
well, if you heard it at a gun store, IT MUST BE TRUE.

gun stores, as you know, are almost as credible as the internet

Almost!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a RoHS notice of compliance from FN telling me my SS192 was lead free.

I believe it's because my pistol was the civilian version of the gun, because military applications are exempt.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think he means M855 (green tip)

We won't see any surplus ammo, ever, from the US military.
A Clinton Era excutive order prevents the military from surplusing "war material" to civilians.

I said tghis before and I say it again. George Bush can issue an excutive order to reverse Clintons one. But I feel that George now is just as guilty.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
For those not in the know, green ammo contains no lead.  This is done by using tungsten and other powdered metals where lead was used.  And a non-lead priming compound.

Bingo- when Haliburton corners the market on tungsten, this will come to pass. Stock up on tungsten-based waterfowl shells- THE NEXT AMMO SHORTAGE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top