Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 8:09:02 AM EDT
Threads like Joker's thread have me thinking - how do you secure your house/apartment from a burglary or worse, a push in robbery when you're home? Obviously most of us have a firearm in the house (this is Arfcom after all) but that's not the end all to home security, there's more to it.

I personally have a small handgun safe under my bed for my carry weapon, but if somebody pushed through my door it would take me at least 10 or 15 seconds to have a loaded firearm in my hand. I have small children in my house so I can't leave anything too available.

Now that I'm thinking about this, I just stashed my Craftsman breaker bar on top of my china cabinet, and I'm brainstorming about stashing ready weapons around the house. I'm also thinking about the physical security of my home. Looking at my windows concerns me right off the bat, then there's those blind spots to either side of my front door...

This thread has the potential to be a great resource for all our security, let's hear some ideas!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#1]
1. Call emergency services number.
2. Get put on hold.
3. Leave message on answering machine.
4. Curl up in a ball in the corner.
5. Whimper

That's right, you dare as much as strike someone breaking into your home, you better bend over and grab your ankles, cause Mr. Criminal & Co. will take you to the cleaners and you could get a good few years in prison for assault and whatnot.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Apparently 3 pit bulls.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Apparently 3 pit bulls.

What, you tried breaking into your own home? Are you alright?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
it's a constant fight with my idiot room mates to keep the exterior doors locked.  they're all STRONGLY of the "it won't happen to me" mindset.  I'm just hoping i'm not there when they find out the hard way.

I keep 3 guns loaded and ready in my night stand.

Kel Tec SUB2000
Kel Tec P3AT
Beretta 92

One of them always accompanies me when i answer the door, usually the P3AT so i can disappear it quickly if there is no threat.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Leave the doors locked even when you are home. You don't want anyone to just show up, turn the knob and just walk in. Go retrieve your gun if you must ansewer the door and do not expect company. Especially at night. Have a peep hole? I have the luxury of an L shaped house with windows 6 feet off the ground. I can always see who is at my door from behind them. I'm sure there are more ideas out there...Hog
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
2. Get put on hold.
5. Whimper

That's right, you dare as much as strike someone breaking into your home, you better bend over and grab your ankles, cause Mr. Criminal & Co. will take you to the cleaners and you could get a good few years in prison for assault and whatnot.

I'd feel like prey awaiting the hunter if I had to live under those conditions.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, you're sitting on the toilet, or in the shower, and someone just walks in.  

Lock the door at all times!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
2. Get put on hold.
5. Whimper

I've read about your laws over there, you guys are sooooooooooooo fucked

Things seem to be headed in the opposite direction here from the laws I've seen enacted recently, and thank God for that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I always have a handgun within my reach.

All of my bedrooms are on the second floor.  I have been thinking about getting a motion detector at the bottom of the stairs.

I need to hector my wife more about keeping all of the doors locked and closed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Lock the doors.

I'd tell you more if it wasn't such an open forum where anyone can see it.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Lock the doors.

Always. The wife is also good with this - if somebody is not actually walking into/out of the house, the doors are locked at all times.

Keep in mind there are times you have to open the door to strangers, although these can be kept to a mininum.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Bedrooms are upstairs.  Cell phone is kept upstairs at night plus M4gery and five loaded magazines, plus a loaded P35.  My motion detector is a 110 pound GSD that sleeps downstairs, by the front door at night.  Tatically located downstairs is a loaded AK 74 and five loaded mags, plus a Walther P99 and two mags.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Believe it or not, one of the best things YOU can install to deter the BG is s locking storm door…

Of course there a bunch of other fun and useful tools I employ but this is a great first start to send the BG over to the sheeples house.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
An even better question is:

How do you secure your home and family from home JBT/legal invasion/burglary?  

That would be, for instance, a search warrant mistakenly served on you when it should have been the house next door.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Oded Fehr (When he's not guarding my FJ40)

Quadrupedal Attack Gimp (QAP)

ED-209

And, as always:
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a pretty detailed home security system, simply put: If Im home I know your there before you even get close to the house or shop, if Im not there you will be taped.  When Im home I keep a G23 with laser/light nearby, all other guns stay safely locked up.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Locked doors, security system, GSD, AOW with 4 ought, and a .45
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I am trying to work on a website towards that topic...  Come visit...

www.home-invasion.com

I have already posted a few topics on there but I have hopes that others can share their oppinions too!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Wife is opposed to protection.  But luckily does not monitor this site very well.

I have a "habit" of how I leave my stuff at night for getting dressed in the morning.  My house keys, wallet, and cell phone are left in the bathroom.  My car keys, however are left on the nightstand.  Incidentally, my 1911 is in a handgun safe in the nightstand.  My rifles are in a safe in the closet (accessable via bathroom).

Other "little habit" was of having  the dogs to sleep by the front door (deadbolted as well).  That said, back door is a weakness - but neighbors dog is pretty good at lighting up at night.  Back deck is lit - and my bedroom is directly over that door.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Think safely all the time.
Doors locked when not in use.
Areas around house light with motion lights.
Home alarm wih panic.

Constantly check your parameter. Walk you prop, aournd your house and where you park. Find places to hide, and get rid of them

Train your family members to a strict set of saftey rules in regards to the house.

Dogs if you can as they can be a great line of defense.

MOST importantly stay away aware!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#23]
If you have small kids in the home buy a bed side safe that has the hand access panel.  Your hand fits in an impression on the top and you key the code in.  I can get in and have my pistol ready in under 2 seconds.  They run less than $100.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#24]
When we built the house I had the contractor install steel door frames and I reversed the exterior doors. (They open out, not in)

Anyone taking a running jump at the front door is gonna get hurt.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I pity the fool.....  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
2. Get put on hold.
5. Whimper

Not in Alabama.

SG
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Dogs, lights, shotguns, pistols and machineguns.  Feeling lucky?.......You won't leave alive.  Not a threat, its an absolute promise. I quarantee it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
When we built the house I had the contractor install steel door frames and I reversed the exterior doors. (They open out, not in)

Anyone taking a running jump at the front door is gonna get hurt.

Got to Love it.  Idiot who broke into my house had trouble with his crowbar - assume you are pry resistant as well
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Dog, then the guns.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#30]
1. Front and back doors always locked.
2. Motion sensor security light covering my SUV in the driveway.
3. Knocks on the door are answered with 1911 or 590A1 in-hand; both are kept by my bed in condition 3.
4. Whole bunch of lights under X10 control on timers (both morning and evening, some on when I get up, others shortly before I leave for work, turning off in groups shortly thereafter, others start turning on before I arrive home and turn off at bedtime).
5. X10 remote control on my keychain, I can turn on all of the lights in the main floor's public areas or the exterior door lights with a push of a button.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a firm believer in sheer physical obstacles....namely, in the case of the back door, besides the dead bolt, a large piece of furniture moved in front when we're gone or at night... front door, besides dead bolt and chain, also ANOTHER door openned adjacent to it, at a 70 degree angle.... such that the front door can't be forced as it abuts the other door. (I found this out the hard way).

Basement door swings out into the living room....normally clearing the back of another piece of furnature...but with a quick deployment of a child's toy, flush between the door and furnature...it would take alot of pushing to open.

None of these things would keep a gang of determined thugs out of my home, but they would give me the magic 10 seconds I need to go from surprise to defense mode.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#32]
tag because I had a dream that there was BG in my house last night.  Too realistic....

--VT
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm a firm believer in sheer physical obstacles....namely, in the case of the back door, besides the dead bolt, a large piece of furniture moved in front when we're gone or at night... front door, besides dead bolt and chain, also ANOTHER door openned adjacent to it, at a 70 degree angle.... such that the front door can't be forced as it abuts the other door. (I found this out the hard way).

Basement door swings out into the living room....normally clearing the back of another piece of furnature...but with a quick deployment of a child's toy, flush between the door and furnature...it would take alot of pushing to open.

None of these things would keep a gang of determined thugs out of my home, but they would give me the magic 10 seconds I need to go from surprise to defense mode.

I'd hate to be IN your home if there was ever a fire or gas leak at 2AM!  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
2. Get put on hold.
5. Whimper

Very sorry to hear that it has come to that.  Proof positive that liberals do not just want to ban guns, they want to ban the entire culture of self reliance.

Colorado has castle doctrine.  Anyone who breaches a window or door can be killed.  Simple and effective.  Funny enough, they call it the "Make my Day" law.   (nice bit of Americana there)

You are welcome to join us on this side of the pond.  We need all the right thinking people we can get.

-get here before the amnesty though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
2. Get put on hold.
5. Whimper

whatnot? I hadn't heard that term yet, I thought only the penetrator, err, perpetrator in a whatnot attack should go to prison.  But live and learn.  I can just see Horace Rumpole, "Your Lordship, My client has been false and unjustly accused of whatnot."
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#36]
The only gun I keep near me when I am at my dads house is my 1911A1.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got back from a week at the inlaws, and I SLEPT with my J-Frame holstered on my ankle every night.

What I do at home is secret.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just got back from a week at the inlaws, and I SLEPT with my J-Frame holstered on my ankle every night.

What I do at home is secret.

--------------------------------------------------

With a signature like YOURS, I just don'wannaknow!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#39]
any more recent experiences with attempted break ins when any of you guys are at home ?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Need to go thru 2 doors in front and 3 doors in back plus old stairs to get up here. Its an Old bungalow so there is a lot of doors.  Motion Lights outside. And a retired sheriff thats our land lord downstairs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Dog, then the guns.

Absolutely, My dogs would be all over anyone that tried to push, or break my door down,
But I would much rather just shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#42]
First line of defense? Out of the way house, off the road, long narrow driveway and no access without going through a creek. Wireless driveway alert.

Second line of defense, alert black lab with a big mouth.

Third line of defense, strategic gun placement, rifle/shotty/handgun in that order.

Fourth line of defense, retreat to cover points at exit and basement, each with concealment until covered.

Fifth line of defense, wife with PMS.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I would take up a tactical cover and concealment position under my bed with my dog and scream like a little girl!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a high capacity assault cat, and he's armed

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I have a high capacity assault cat, and he's armed

img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/deathray187/screwballRB.jpg

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Burglar alarm signals the police and wakes up both us and the neighbors. Failing that, we've got a dog (well, two dogs, but one's literally useless) as both an early warning system and first line of defense. The bedrooms are spread out through the house so SOMEONE is going to become aware of a break-in. Both rooms with men in them have guns. Mine also happens to have a collection of swords, knives, and a pistol crossbow with a maglite attached near at hand.

Failing that, there's a phone in every room of the house except the bathroom, and we all own cell phones as well.

I also pity anyone who tries breaking into our house by going through the backyard first. That place is a death trap.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:11:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
any more recent experiences with attempted break ins when any of you guys are at home ?

about 6 months ago when I was still living with the parents, someone kicked the front door of their shop in  IN BROAD DAYLIGHT about 6 p.m. on a friday evening.  Shop is about 100yds from the house which had 3 vehicles  in the driveway.  you dont see the boulding unless you specificaly go look out one specific window, mom heard the horn blaring and comes back downstairs saying that the front door was open.  We go down to look and the door frame is in slinters with a muddy boot print on the door.  Nothing was stolen thank god.    Proof that the people around here just dont give a fuck about anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top