Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 7:23:33 AM EDT
If you haven't gone there YOU MUST.

Their food is amazing. The beef brisket is so tender that I don't know how they got it to the platter in once piece.

Give it a go. The food is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It's good for a chain BBQ.  There's a couple local ones that I like more, but you can't go wrong with Dave's.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#2]
no.  Guess Dave isn't that famous after all
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not going to El Paso for a plate of ribs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You being in Texas, your local "Texas Pit Bar-b-Q" operating out of a corrugated tin-roofed shack would  completely own Famous Dave's.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You being in Texas, your local "Texas Pit Bar-b-Q" operating out of a corrugated tin-roofed shack would  completely own Famous Dave's.

yeah, except they'd think BBQ is beef

(And famoud dave's ain't all that)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Hey, you've been here! It's not like we Michiganders have awesome BBQ shacks on every streetcorner like you do in TX! I've visited there, I know!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barbecue IS beef. But I concede the second point.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]
8.7 miles away.  Heh(8.7 take away the . and you have 87)

They're okay.  Haven't had them in a while.  There's a local place called Nicks that has a bit better BBQ but Famous Dave's is good.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Man I want to live by you guys who say Famous Dave's is just "OK" !
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barbecue IS beef. But I concede the second point.

You're going to have to pack your shit up and move out of VA.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No shit, its about the best you can do round hese parts for barbeque.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And their sides, at best, are so so..
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Never heard of them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Famous Dave's is ok, but in Illinois there are some better places.

Canyon Creek BBQ (South Elgin, IL)
The Texan (Algonquin, IL)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Ours closed down I loved them thought they were great.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't gotten over losing Kenny Rodger's yet.....give me a little more time before I move on.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Been to the one near the race track and Cabela's here in Kansas City.  Awesome food!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pork spare ribs, cooked low and slow over oak.  

Texas BBQ cookers can whup any BBQ cookers from any of the lesser 49 states.  Just 'cause you VA boys lack the attention span, ability and patience to cook brisket doesn't mean beef isn't BBQ.  

We need to have an ARFCOM BBQ cook-off.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I go to the one in Flint all the time. MMMMMM!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#21]
BBQ is pork. That other crap is just hamburger with Kraft sauce on it. Come down east and have some real BBQ

Oh, and NoVaGator wins. He's got a gun in the pic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Former Dave's Employee checking in...I still have a pair of jeans that smells like that kitchen, and its been over 4 years since I worked there.  Needless to say, I will never work there again.  Shining example of economy of morality within society, but these days who isn't.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Former Dave's Employee checking in...I still have a pair of jeans that smells like that kitchen, and its been over 4 years since I worked there.  Needless to say, I will never work there again.  Shining example of economy of morality within society, but these days who isn't.

But is there crack in their sauces? And how do they make their brisket? Are you 400 lbs from eating said brisket?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Thaere's one about 15 minutes from work.
Good food, but not as good as Pierce's in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Rule #1:  Excellent barbecue is found at local joints, sometimes local chains.  Chain barbecue is good if you are starving to death and can't find a ride to a local joint.

Rule #2:  If you feel the need to include the adjective "famous" in your name, you aren't.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Pulled Pork at Daves!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I can name three BBQ places here in town that I'm sure are better.
Then again I live in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit, its about the best you can do round hese parts for barbeque.

Anyone who visits Kansas City, it is possible to go to a different excellent local barbecue restaurant every day for a week in KC KS alone.   Gate's, Rosedale, Wyandotte, RJ's, Hickory Log...mmmm.  If you're travelling on I-35 through Kansas, stop in Williamsburg to eat at Guy & Mae's.  Unbelievable ribs.

Damn, I'm hungry know.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I can see Famous Dave's out my office window right now!

As I recall, my BEEF BRISKET dinner was pretty darn tasty there last Saturday night.  Their sweet tea is just right to boot!

Anyone else feeling hungry?

BBURN
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Rule #1:  Excellent barbecue is found at local joints, sometimes local chains.  Chain barbecue is good if you are starving to death and can't find a ride to a local joint.

Rule #2:  If you feel the need to include the adjective "famous" in your name, you aren't.

Rule #3: If you haven't tried Dave's food, you need to...

Disregard if you have.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
BBQ is pork. That other crap is just hamburger with Kraft sauce on it. Come down east and have some real BBQ

Sauce?  Served on the meat?  Heretic.

Sauce goes on the side, never on the meat.

And Kraft sauce sucks the wet farts out of a dead dog's ass.  

I'll have to dig up a BBQ dinner photo.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#33]
think it is time for a cook-off .  Bob
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Disregard if you have.

The Kansas City Famous Dave's is about 6 minutes from RJ's, about the same from Wyandotte Barbecue, and about 15 minutes from Hickory Log and 20 minutes from Gates and Rosedale.

I can't imagine the emergency that would make me eat at Famous Dave's instead of one of the aforementioned local joints.  I suppose if some acquantance or relative who doesn't know better insists, I will suffer through.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I like the Rich and Sassy sauce, but they can keep their boiled ribs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

And a better smoke ring
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But is there crack in their sauces? And how do they make their brisket? Are you 400 lbs from eating said brisket?

+1 on how do they make their brisket?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Dave's is the best we have around here.  The local BBQ shops suck ass.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#39]
It's funny you bring this up.  One opened about 15 mins from my house and have never been.  Smells good though when I drive by  I guess this weekend I will stop in.
Pete
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I go to the one in Flint all the time. MMMMMM!!!

It's 8.6 miles from my garage to the parking lot.  Went there last weekend for lunch.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And a better smoke ring

That hurt.  

Gotta fire up the smoker this weekend and shoot some new pics.    I think the menu will be pulled pork, baked-smoked-mashed-taters, salsa, chicken, and maybe some ABTs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Disregard if you have.

The Kansas City Famous Dave's is about 6 minutes from RJ's, about the same from Wyandotte Barbecue, and about 15 minutes from Hickory Log and 20 minutes from Gates and Rosedale.

I can't imagine the emergency that would make me eat at Famous Dave's instead of one of the aforementioned local joints.  I suppose if some acquantance or relative who doesn't know better insists, I will suffer through.

Jim

LOL! As I said, I wish I lived a bit closer to one of those joints, as Famous Dave's is the best I've personally had.

FWIW the two big BBQ joints I've been to in MI (Red Hot and Blue and Memphis Smoke) were rendered to "eating warm armpit" status after eating Famous Dave's... I don't need pity, but your understanding in this unfortunate matter would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And a better smoke ring

That hurt.  

Gotta fire up the smoker this weekend and shoot some new pics.    I think the menu will be pulled pork, baked-smoked-mashed-taters, salsa, chicken, and maybe some ABTs.

I'm thinking about buying a new smoker. I've been using a Weber bullet for years, but it can't handle enough volume. Three slabs or one butt are just about max capacity. If I'm going to commit a whole day+ to smoking I need a week's worth of food to show for it.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And a better smoke ring

That hurt.  

I'm thinking about buying a new smoker. I've been using a Weber bullet for years, but it can't handle enough volume. Three slabs or one butt are just about max capacity. If I'm going to commit a whole day+ to smoking I need a week's worth of food to show for it.

Two words:  Gator Pits  Good quality, value, and customer service.  Don't go smaller than 24" diameter, you can't have too much pit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Famous Daves is okay.  

The food is good they just don't give you enough of it.  I recall getting a pulled pork sandwich there one day and they actually gave me one ice cream scoop of pulled pork on my bun.

Once I smashed it down a spread it out, it covered the bottom bun to a depth of about 1/4-inch.

I got their sampler one night and there was as much empty space on the plate as there was occupied space.  I think I had two small pieces of brisket, one 4-inch length of smoked sausage, and the chicken breast that had to be from a cornish hen.

Haven't been back since.  I go to Tony Romas or local places now.

Best local BBQ I ever had was a little place in Clearfield Utah that was only open about three months.  A former truck driver from Alabama started it and it was heaven!  The guy closed after three months for health reasons.  Used to go there about once a week for a takeout lunch and bring it back to the office.  The smell used to cause quite a stir with everyone wanting some and wanting to know where to get some.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#47]
I'll bet Davids Real Pit BBQ is better.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Been to the one near the race track and Cabela's here in Kansas City.  Awesome food!

Man, uh... that is where we send the tourists to keep them from jamming up the good places......

The real BBQ is for the locals!

Ok, I've had their brisket and it is not bad, but it aint in the top 10 in town either.  See  KS_Physicist's (my brother) message above about some local hangouts.  I actaully had 5 or 6 others in mind as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top