Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 9:55:03 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting a pair of GMRS radios and wounder who all needs to be licensed, everyone with a raido or just me and those in my "party" can transmit under my license.

How many people actually get GMRS licenses anwyays? It seems way to easy to get a radio and not get licensed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
All you need to know is here and here.

Technically, the GMRS is for family communication, but in practice I think a person who has a license can blanket that license over any group that person is currently part of, such as your party.

If you don't want to pay the license fee, then buy FRS radios and forget GMRS.  Think of it like machine guns and tax stamps.  

I do not advocate using licensed services without being licensed, but in real life, the FCC probably won't care, UNLESS you interfere with a licensed station or repeater system.  You might interfere with licensed users or repeaters even without knowing that you're interfereing.  Individual licensees may care, and may look to record your transmissions, collect other data and report you.  Be warned that if you DO irritate someone, and get reported, or if the FCC happens to be listening that day in that area (very low probability of that), you could wind up with some very heavy fines, plus forfeiture of your radio equipment.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought some Midway 3 watt radios. If you leave them on low power you dont need a license. On high power you need the license and are supposed to get 10 miles under ideal conditions. Check out this web site. Midway provided it. www.fcc.gov/services/personal/generalmoble/licensing.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]

If you use 0.5 watts or less on FRS or shared channels ONLY, then you can operate without a license.

If you use any power level on GMRS frequencies, then you can not legally operate without a license.

If you use >0.5 watts on any shared GMRS/FRS frequencies, then you can not legally operate without a license.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to get my license right away. I didn't realize I was a criminal by using my walkie talkie to find my wife at the antique mall. Craplola.

I mean, if they can deport 12 million illegal people who stream across our borders with no regard for the law, just think how serious they're going to take me and my flagrant pissing on the FCC with my $20 radio.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm going to get my license right away. I didn't realize I was a criminal by using my walkie talkie to find my wife at the antique mall. Craplola.

I mean, if they can deport 12 million illegal people who stream across our borders with no regard for the law, just think how serious they're going to take me and my flagrant pissing on the FCC with my $20 radio.

Yeah, I mean they'll know exactly who you are and where your at, just like they do with the illegals.

BTW I do know about trianglization, Still would be hard to pin point the handheld unit when he's moving around in a car.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Why bother? Nobody else does.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Those damn licenses are 80 bucks. I could buy some ammo with that 80 dollars.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Back in the 70's during the height of the CB craze, you had to be licensed to operate your CB.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Those damn licenses are 80 bucks. I could buy some ammo with that 80 dollars.

Exactly.. ........ Thats why not very many people are buying the liecense. Hell all the people I know who operate them don't. The junior nazi's who are sponsered buy the local Police don't. Like I said Why Bother???

ARGHHHHHHHH
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]

If you only obey the law because you might get caught...well, good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top