Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 7:48:52 PM EDT
It's like bondo for construction workers.

Getting ready to paint the inside of my house so I can sell it and had to do some maintenance and repairs so I got one of my buddies who does construction for a living and jesus...I think we've used more caulk than paint.

Don't even get me started on how many wallboard seams I've had to replace. Gone through 2 gallons of joint compound. Whoever did the original work on this house musta hired illegals because they did a shit fucking job.

I hate fixing other peoples sloppy work. If it woulda been done right in the first place I'd be done by now.

On the plus side, when we finally get done this place will probably be so tightly sealed you could float it in the ocean.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
buddy just got his house re-stuckoed.  they neglected to use bonding agent under the stucco, so now it's peeling off.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear ya, buddy. I'm going to have to do the same thing in the house I'm buying. I'll be caulking and repairing prior to painting, and that's going to take me a few weeks all alone.

Better than sitting around here posting, though!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Whoever did the original work on this house musta hired illegals because they did a shit fucking job.

I hate illegals but I hate generializations even more.

Cause they're illegal they mujst suck at carpertry?

I've  hired white people who did a shitty job, and messicans who did a great job.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Getting ready to paint the inside of my house so I can sell it and had to do some maintenance and repairs so I got one of my buddies who does construction for a living and jesus...I think we've used more caulk than paint.

Don't even get me started on how many wallboard seams I've had to replace. Gone through 2 gallons of joint compound. Whoever did the original work on this house musta hired illegals because they did a shit fucking job.

I hate fixing other peoples sloppy work. If it woulda been done right in the first place I'd be done by now.

On the plus side, when we finally get done this place will probably be so tightly sealed you could float it in the ocean.

It may be too tightly sealed.  Having worked in the industry, I know that you must have a minimum amount of air leakage to keep your windows from fogging up.  Even LE insulated glass windows will fog in unventilated bathrooms.  Each person generates on average 2 pounds of moisture in the air every day.  It has to have some where to go.   I have seen homes that were wrapped in plastic instead of tyvek that had water running off the insides of the windows.  Major law suit there...

(I did the field service work diagnosing and repairing problems.  Repair if fault of the window/door units)(also acted as technical witness in court cases)
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, thats all the extra work painters have to do for everyone elses screw ups. Its our job to finish it up and make it look good and fix or hide all the bad spots
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish the necks that did my house heard of caulk. I had to replace my entire bathroom floor because the idiots used rope instead of a wax ring under the toilet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Check your new house for the same work ethic before you buy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whoever did the original work on this house musta hired illegals because they did a shit fucking job.

I've  hired white people who did a shitty job, and messicans who did a great job.

Yes, because illegal immigrants are synonomous with quality construction.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Why do you think they call it "Talent in a Tube"?  Covers a multitude of sins.
If you ever hear a contractor say, "putty is my buddy", fire him on the spot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Buying a home in a mythical fairy land which is generally free from zombies and illegals and where a postive work ethic is the order of the day.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, ive seen illegals work, not very good.  They were tapers. worst job ive ever seen, i could have done better and i have never even put up drywall before. They didnt even bother to sand the corners or tops of the wall near the ceiling. ( boy is that fun to try and make look good with the final coat of paint) Then they fucked up the electrical sockets so even after you placed the covers on them there were still gaps.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buying a home in a mythical fairy land which is generally free from zombies and illegals and where a postive work ethic is the order of the day.

Some how, I feel like we will become closer during this move.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't kid yourself. Joe-Bob will rip you off just as quick as anyone else.

Sometimes even good builders and contractors will try to screw you over if they think they can get away with it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Caulk and paint make the carpenters what they aint.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That does make me wonder.  How much caulk is too much?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that is a wet liberal.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Caulk and paint make the carpenters wood butchers what they aint.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I wish the necks that did my house heard of caulk. I had to replace my entire bathroom floor because the idiots used rope instead of a wax ring under the toilet.

Thats fucked up....a wax ring costs what? 69 cents?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like some construction workers love the caulk.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If your house is that bad why did you buy it to begin with ? hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If your house is that bad why did you buy it to begin with ?

Cause it was one of the better ones around here.

Sad huh.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#23]
The illegals who installed my carpet sucked.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Drywall mud and wood patch are my friends.

Sometimes it's the only way to match trim and whatnot (wainscoting for example) to walls that have had 50 years of settling and people living in them to fix.

(fwiw I have been totally screwed by a "domestic" work crew and had excellent work from work crews that didn't speak a lick of English... Call me a liberal, I didn't know they were going to be Mexicans when I hired the crew. I was very happy with their work though)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The illegals who installed my carpet sucked.

Legals who installed my carpet sucked even more and tried to rip me off.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Make you wonder how you survived Wilma?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#28]
My house is full of sins (mostly electrical), and I haven't seen anything other than home-grown white guys in at least a month. Shoddy workmanship knows know boundaries.

In my area, permits are not required for construction. I'm not kidding, you can't get one if you tried. Because my area is so rural, it really doesn't matter. If your house burns/falls down, it's on you. If you buy a house without having it properly inspected, it's on you. The nice thing is, you can build an entire house without pulling one permit. This is as it should be. The home being built down the road from me is a beautiful home indeed, and is held to the highest standards by both the homeowner and the contractor.

Where I live, people do work they can be proud of. Well, most of them anyway. In some cases (using my house as an example), people do things they shouldn't simply because they can. It's unfortunate, but their property rights trump any proposed regulation to the contrary. They are free to perform substandard work, and I'm free to fix it right - permit free. Ain't freedom grand?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Caulk or sealant is not always a bad thing.  

A thin, even joint of flexible caulk should be installed between dissimilar materials to get a clean appearance like between ceramic wall tile and a wood door frame, or between sheetrock wall and ceiling surfaces.  

It is a bad thing when it is used to extend a piece of poorly cut wood trim or to hide a big gap between a crooked wall and an exterior window frame.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Yes, ive seen illegals work, not very good.  They were tapers. worst job ive ever seen, i could have done better and i have never even put up drywall before. They didnt even bother to sand the corners or tops of the wall near the ceiling. ( boy is that fun to try and make look good with the final coat of paint) Then they fucked up the electrical sockets so even after you placed the covers on them there were still gaps.

But the businessman who hired them made more money, so that must make it all right. At least to alot of folk, mostly of the illegal criminal defending variety.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top