Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 2:23:15 PM EDT
After 3 years I FINALLY got the grandpappy woodchuck of them all. Had to resort to putting a camo poncho on and hunkering down about 65 yards away but I finally put one behind his ear when he stuck his head out. That ol Romanian .22 that  cost $49 bucks put it right where it was supposed to. RIP Pappy, you gave me a good run for 3 years. No kids for you this year. HAH!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
CONGRATS!  

I know the feeling...

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
In before the first Bill Murray caddyshack pic
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one i have been after for 2 years,just seem him yesterday for the first time this spring,the games have begun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be a heartrending tale of how, unable to afford the exorbitant cost of the rest home, you resorted to the painful, but honorable, "Plan B".
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Had one in my neighborhood that eluded me for a few years. The Dem neighbors thought he was cute.

until you step in a chuck hole and bust your ankle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Had one in my neighborhood that eluded me for a few years. The Dem neighbors thought he was cute.

This is my problem,he lives next door but has dug into my garage, i shot 4 of his buddies last summer but he will not give me a shot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
If it wouldn't violate CoC... can you post the pics ??

(we know you took pics)

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Got the better half of muscrat love yesterday,
ONE SHOT ONE KILL

hippie.gif
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I was 13-14 years old when my father asked me to get rid of a ground hog in the horse pasture by the barn.... a good 150 yard shot....2 years later I finally got him. Gave him a perfect Mohawk with a scoped .30-.30
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

until you step in a chuck hole and bust your ankle.

This is the chuck that dug the hole that my neighbor ran his John Deere into and broke the front wheel assembly.  40s JD narrow front in perfect condition, he's lucky it did not tip over and throw him when the front end broke off.

He had two other places where I have shot him before but the sucker would not die. Both were further back and high. Both had healed perfectly but the hair had never grown back. They are tough old buggers.

Amazing how well they can see. I could walk UP to the edge of the field about 125 yards away, and he could always spot me before I made it 1/2 way thru the woods part. You would swear there was no way he could see you but he always could. As an aside, camo ponchos are surprisingly effective at concealing a person. 3 deer came out of the woods about 50 yards out and never knew I was there even at the shot. It was only when I stood up that they saw me. Wife never heard the shot from about 200 yards away while working in the back yard.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn VarmintCong.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one under my grandmother's shed I was after for probably 2 years, just turns out I never had a gun whenever would have had a shot at him...

Then I turned 21 and got my CCW.

Within a month, my little buddy ate a 230 grain gold dot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is my problem,he lives next door but has dug into my garage, i shot 4 of his buddies last summer but he will not give me a shot.

Mix sulfur and a bit of powder [not black powder]. Put it in a tin and put it down the hole a ways, lite it with a torch and immediately cover the hole with a piece of wood. Block off all other holes also. You can cheat and use a air compressor blowing thru a small hole to push it down the hole better if you want.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
a couple summers ago i was sent into my aunts garage to "dispatch" a woodchuck.   knowing that pointing straight down and letting 9mm lead fly point blank into a woodchuck inside a garage filled with motorcycles, flamables and myself, i decided to run it out and then open fire.... lil bastard got into the tall grass before i could get any shots off... im still pissed about the one that got away. im glad you got yours...

GET SOME!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my grandpappy last year with a .410 pump.  I've been after him for years and since he made his home in a rock pile that ran the length of the fence line between us and the neighbors I used a SG.  I'd get 2-5 then they wise up and I'd have to wait a couple days before they'd get brave enough to stick their heads out again.  And he stayed close to the neighbors house so I could only come in from the south.

My normal routine was to drive in from the south and work my way up the rock pile and shoot at targets of opportunity, when I made it to the corner I'd head back down the line about 1/4 the way and then back to the corner (largest population) then back to the truck.

But that day I stopped about 35' below grandpappy's hole, thinking if the next time I should bring my 20ga or even a 12ga.  But the old boy got a case of the stupids and popped out of his hole and didn't notice me at all, so I drew a bead on him and advanced about 2 steps and let the 6 shot fly.  I ran up for a closer shot but the old boy gave up the ghost, I'd ripped up his neck bad enough to do him in.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#21]
i forgot to mention the woodchuck at my uncles property.  everytime it heard the screen door opened it ran but...

my uncle said he jumped out like mother-fucking-chuck-norris one day with the Remington .22 semi auto and layed out a hail of gunfire while the thing was on the run, the final shot nicked the house but.... he got the lil bastard... that only took him 2 years to kill that one
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Not one post (yet) saying you should have trapped it and released it somewhere else?  Amazing.  It'll come though.  

Boy no kidding I can't mention a coyote kill with out getting the 5th degree from the animal rights activists in hiding.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mix sulfur and a bit of powder [not black powder]. Put it in a tin and put it down the hole a ways, lite it with a torch and immediately cover the hole with a piece of wood. Block off all other holes also. You can cheat and use a air compressor blowing thru a small hole to push it down the hole better if you want.

He is not that big of a problem, i just need to get the pellet gun set for that range, it is not very far but i always miss him.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not one post (yet) saying you should have trapped it and released it somewhere else?  Amazing.  It'll come though.  

Boy no kidding I can't mention a coyote kill with out getting the 5th degree from the animal rights activists in hiding.

Funny they never offer their address for the release site--so it can become their problem.  

Patty, IM incoming with the kill I made yesterday--but don't want to post publicly, in order to avoid the inevitable.    

I'd hardly consider banning 'Greywolf2112' a 'kill'. However, you did 'tag' him, so essentially he's dead!

No IM's are necessary...it's public knowledge.

Sorry, I have no intentions of renewing my membership...therefore, you'll have to forgive my sarcasms.

I'll politely sit in the background, unable to post, and watch the entertainment unfold.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People suck.

But you rule.  

[/buttkissing]

Honestly, I need to go calling some coyotes this weekend.  I've been out of it far too long!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#29]
fnxtime; I apologize for pissing in your thread, certainly wasn't the time, or place!

And yea, thebeekeeper1. I'll miss you too!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Took me 2 years to get a gopher.  Not only did my yard have the remnants of a very large camphor tree root system and according to two neighbors who were part of the construction gang 50 years ago said that there was a very large crack in the adobe substrate that was covered over during the grading and they figured his burrow tapped into that.

My smart ass neighbor kept trying to get me to let him shoot at him with a bb gun.  After I laughed at their follies they implied I couldn't do any better.  "I could if I used the right tool."  "Yeah sure you can."  So I got out my Trapdoor and started to set up with their house in the backdrop.  They then said that I probably could take care of it with that one.  Finally got him with a series of traps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top