Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 2:23:13 PM EDT
They should have been showing the doublefeature of "No Steak for me....ever" followed by "You'll never make love to a woman on the beach again"

www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/08/prison.brokeback.reut/index.html

'Brokeback' screening lands prison officer in hot water
Prison: Sex scenes, not gay love affair, made film inappropriate

Saturday, April 8, 2006; Posted: 6:22 p.m. EDT (22:22 GMT)

A correctional officer was disciplined for showing prisoners "Brokeback Mountain," seen here.  
Is 'Brokeback Mountain' too racy for prisoners?  

BOSTON, Massachusetts (Reuters) -- A Massachusetts correctional officer is being disciplined for showing the gay cowboy movie "Brokeback Mountain" to inmates at the state's largest prison because his boss determined that the film includes content inappropriate for a prison setting.

Massachusetts Department of Correction spokeswoman Diane Wiffin said Saturday that the action was not related to the critically acclaimed film's plot involving a gay love affair.

"It was not the subject matter. It was the graphic nature of sexually explicit scenes," Wiffin said.

She said the officer, whom she declined to identify, failed to follow prison guidelines that require staff who schedule films to review them in advance for excessive violence, nudity or sex, as well as scenes involving assaults on correctional staff.

The officer showed the film Thursday afternoon, two days after its American release on DVD, to inmates at a prison in Norfolk, Massachusetts, about 25 miles southwest of Boston.

Wiffin declined to discuss his punishment.

Based on Annie Proulx's short story, "Brokeback Mountain" is about two men who meet and fall in love while wrangling sheep in Wyoming in 1963. It won raves from critics and garnered three Oscars last month, including one for director Ang Lee.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
accident?  methinks not
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats the big deal? Apparently is was a hit
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll bet that Barney Frank was runnin' the projector.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I refuse to see that movie but I'm curious about just one thing...how graphic were the sex scenes, anyway?

No specific details, please.   I don't want to imagine it THAT well.

CJ

Ya think someone here will actually own up to having seen it?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I refuse to see that movie but I'm curious about just one thing...how graphic were the sex scenes, anyway?

CJ

Ya think someone here will actually own up to having seen it?

stonerstudent, well that's kinda his thing
kacer, because that's the only type of males she can accept
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They should have been showing the doublefeature of "No Steak for me....ever" followed by "You'll never make love to a woman on the beach again"

Seen ConAir one too many times?

My favorite line from the whole movie  but I've only seen it a few times...probably didn't even quote it correctly
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Sheep???

I thought the movie was about cowboys
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
accident?  methinks not

Yeah I seriously doubt it was an accident.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
It was either that or "Midnight Express".
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

CJ

Come on CJ, you know you want to hear all about the guy from "Jarhead" having his head banging off the headboard...

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#13]
There was probably an increase of prisoners climbing Brokeback Mountain themselves that night, if you get my drift.

They're not gay, they just can't help it if certain inmates look really feminine in the right light!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

CJ

I asked my gf.
Apparently, they get drunk, beat each other up, then Gyllenhal tears Ledger's pants off.
Gyllanhal proceeds to pound Ledger, and the camera focuses on both their faces and motions.

The description is too graphic for me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

I asked my gf.
Apparently, they get drunk, beat each other up, then Gyllenhal tears Ledger's pants off.
Gyllanhal proceeds to pound Ledger, and the camera focuses on both their faces and motions.

Hmm..and they call that a love story? I'm sure they prisoners loved that
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe they should have played Comedy Centrals version instead!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Prison: Sex scenes, not gay love affair, made film inappropriate

That's like a kid saying to his mom, "I'm only cleaning because I WANT to, not because you told me to."

If they have to say it, chances are the opposite is true.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

CJ

Hoping to learn a few new positions, are you?  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#19]
"...A Massachusetts correctional officer is being disciplined..."

what, a day off with pay?  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

I asked my gf.

Nope Ledger was the "top" in the one and only sex scene in the whole movie....and the scene last about 10 sec.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

I asked my gf.

Nope Ledger was the "top" in the one and only sex scene in the whole movie....and the scene last about 10 sec.

Yea, I asked her who was the top/bottom, guess she mixed them up.
She said it the scene was over pretty quick, and beyond the reunion makeout scene, there wasn't much physical interaction in the movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top