Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 1:07:19 PM EDT
I know they torch cut the receiver in three places or so in order to make it so they can't be used as weapons. What happens to the internals of demilled machine guns? Are they cut along with the receiver when they run the torch over it? Are they removed completely? It seems to me that even if some of them are damaged or destroyed when the receiver is cut, leaving the internals in a demilled machine gun could be a little... risky, if someone was illegally inclined.

Anybody got a demilled machine gun that can clear this up for me?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
they are taken apart prior to the gas axe treatment.  they are sold as parts kits, a parts kit isnt much good if the parts are all destroyed
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two 1919A4 kits here, one built into a fine functioning semi auto .308 and the other waiting some spare time on my part.  I did have to get the old fully auto internals machined to an approved semi auto spec and a new semi auto right plate made.  The new right plate is made so it can not function in an auto gun, ie it has a large raised area inside so auto parts will not fit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they are taken apart prior to the gas axe treatment.  they are sold as parts kits, a parts kit isnt much good if the parts are all destroyed

+1

Although on the Suomi M31 semi-auto build I am doing, the charging handle/charging handle return spring was left inside most of the kits and got torch cut along with the receiver.

You can buy an original diameter receiver tube for the Suomi M31, but if you did, then possession of that along with the kit could definitely lead to a 'constructive possession of a machine gun' charge.  So they sell a reduced internal diameter receiver tube and this requires the original bolt to be machined down to a reduced diameter.  One among many changes to make it legal.  

If someone were inclined to break the law, it would be far easier with an AK or AR than to mess around with a torched kit.  IMO anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I was just wondering because it seemed kinda boneheaded to ruin the receiver so the machinegun wasn't a machinegun anymore, but leave all the other parts intact so you just had to transfer them to a new receiver.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was just wondering because it seemed kinda boneheaded to ruin the receiver so the machinegun wasn't a machinegun anymore, but leave all the other parts intact so you just had to transfer them to a new receiver.

that is the point, it is so that someone with a registered machinegun can swap newer parts from a parts kit in to replace worn out or broken parts on their registered MG.

edit: then there's licensed manufacturers who can build new machineguns legally, there is a market for them with police agencies.  then there are the ingenious guys who figure out ways to build semi auto weapons out of kits and that's perfectly legal too if they follow some fairly simple guidelines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top