Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2006 9:44:26 AM EDT
I live in the country about two miles from a guy who has about 150 junk cars all over his property.  About two miles north of me is another guy who has about 50 junk cars on his property.  What is it about living in the country that turns people into pack rats?  How many junk cars are enough?

There is another guy near Salmon, Idaho, who has like 250 vehicles on his property.  I saw a 1970 GTO and called him to ask if he'd sell it to me.  Do you know what his response was?  "No, I'm going to fix these cars up."  What a nut!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
junk car + tannerite= great times
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of these people have a lot of money in scrap metal that they most likely got for free or very little.  Lots of folks around here haul their junk cars into the scrap metal place each week since the price of scrap has gone up in the last couple years.

I never got over 5 vehicles at once but for a while I had 3 that did not run and since 2 of them did run I parked the other 3 for longer than I should have.  I recently sold them since I was moving and I doubt I will ever do it again but with scrap metal going up I think some of these people look at it as a savings account that can't be stolen.

It does take a certain mentality, basically some women like shoes and some guys like cars and trucks.

I also look for these because generally it means zoning and busy bodies have not come into the area yet and made permits and stupid stuff like that a requirement.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the car.  I would consider pretty much anything in the 62-78 mopar range to be a Parts Oppurtunity worth having.  I would also keep 68-76 Ford stuff, and crush all post 61 chevy stuff.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#4]
if any of them happen to have a 4 banger BMW Z3 laying around I kinda need the steering rack out of it
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How many junk cars are enough?

How many guns are enough?

You can never have too many cars, junk or otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been able to keep under 10 cars, all of my prefered marque. But I know several guys with 20~ 40 cars and a couple guys with 100+ cars.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#7]
uh, zero?  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Couldn't you call EPA or something on them? I'm sure there has to be some limit on the amount before it's considered a scrap yard/landfill or something.

This ass that lives next to my grandmother-in-law is like that... it's a disgrace and there are other people that live on the road... it's not even out in the country. Plus it's near wetlands.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I've always wondered why people let their property turn in to a complete dump.

Are they pack-rats, saving for some imaginary need, or are they in some "I'm going to use that stuff someday" delusion?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#10]
sounds like another californian has moved to idaho
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
sounds like another californian has moved to idaho

i'm not sure if you're blaming junk cars on Californians or Idahoans

Are junk cars considered desirable in Idaho? Like a status symbol?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Women have cats; Men have junk Cars !  

Most are a little nutty with the Hoarding gene. I have a friend who collects junk cars, must have 40 or so Mustangs and Galaxie's. His standard response for the last 15 years is also that he's going to fix them up and he hasn't done shit but add to the collection !

Everytime I visit his junkyard I say " Ya know, if you took them all to the junk yard or sold them you could buy a NEW car ! He " No Way , I'am going to fix them up ! "....
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]
How many guns do you have?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How many guns do you have?

Plenty.  They're just not rusting in the front yard.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#15]
...I have more than a few.  Thank god my property is wooded and my own personal junkyard is hidden within.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
People in the country around here are the same way.  It's disgusting.  Slobs, all of them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Heh, you should see my uncles yard.  20-25 1955 chevys.  Nomads, 210's, Belairs, etc. He will NOT sell one to me, or his own brother.  He thinks he is going to win the lottery and fix them all up.  My poor aunt just shakes her head and tries to fence them in from sight.

He's a really nice guy, but a nut when it comes to his cars.

Steven
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
hoarders

hoarders.org/

www.disposophobia.theplan.com/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding

same disorder as these people:
theplan.com/clutter1/images/MVC-672F400.jpg

why some people become hoarders:  brain problems

That pic reminds me - we haven't seen some good trashed apartment pics from Slumlord in a while.

Paging Slumlord.......
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I live in the country about two miles from a guy who has about 150 junk cars all over his property.  About two miles north of me is another guy who has about 50 junk cars on his property.  What is it about living in the country that turns people into pack rats?  How many junk cars are enough?

There is another guy near Salmon, Idaho, who has like 250 vehicles on his property.  I saw a 1970 GTO and called him to ask if he'd sell it to me.  Do you know what his response was?  "No, I'm going to fix these cars up. the se "70s yet cool cars are cool. A nu ones ones TOP HEREones To Worse  educCCATED.  Whats a nut![/qute] BEEEEEEEE smart,a human yeted 2b here 4U  and Ur personaled benifited from it??????
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess its in some arfcomers genes to hoard guns and ammo, so I guess jumk cars are no different

For me 1 to shoot at is fine, but thats it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
People in the country around here are the same way.  It's disgusting.  Slobs, all of them.

Yep the government really should do something, how dare people do with thier own property as they wish.

As long as your rights are not being infringed upon what do you care?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep the government really should do something, how dare people do with thier own property as they wish.

+1,000,000

Don't like people living in freedom? Get your ass back to the suburbs and suck the tit of your HOA and enjoy that property value you hold so dear. We in the country (even those of us without a junk car collection) don't want people whining about our yards. That's why we're in the fucking country.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000,000

Don't like people living in freedom? Get your ass back to the suburbs and suck the tit of your HOA and enjoy that property value you hold so dear. We in the country (even those of us without a junk car collection) don't want people whining about our yards. That's why we're in the fucking country.

AFUCKINMEN
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like they are rookies to me. My father in law in Ky has 400+ cars and trucks on his 10 acres. A couple years ago he had over 600. He called in a crusher and had them crush several hundred(he was running out of room). He made $25,000 in a week from scrapping them. He had less than $1000 in the ones he scrapped.......not a bad investment if you ask me.

95% of the cars he has are mid '70s and older. Impalas, mustangs, galaxies, GTOs, camaros, edsels, model Ts, Desotos, etc...... Never know what he is going to haul in the next day.

As long as everything stays on your neighbors property.......who cares what he does?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#27]
There is good money in old cars,but most of the morons will not part with anything. You ask about buying a car and they tell you they are going to fix it up,ten years later it still sits there rusting away.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:25:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I lived in Yakima Washington a bit.  Actually it was Toppenish, on the reservation.  The natives there always had a few cars in the yard.  On the outskirts, 10-20 of them, most in mint (minus weather damage).  It seems they did not know how to replace oil in the car, let it burn out and get another.
My uncle and I would go out and try to buy a few.  Bring cash, a case of beer.  
There was this pristine Scout in one guys yard (among other classics of the time), as he was telling me "I'm gunna do something with it", I swear 3 dogs jump out of the window.  I asked, "what?  Add a doggy door?"
I DID get one fellow to part with his Jeepster Commando after a few weekends of pestering, and promises of letting him help me rebuild.

Now out here in Seattle WA, living in the apartments...  The 2 families that live in the apartment downstairs own no less then 6 cars (2 working) all of them taking up parking spots closest to the stair.  *sigh*
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#29]
How many junk cars are enough?

0?

Why keep a car that doesn't work?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#30]
nothing like 100 cars dripping toxic shit into the well system- yummy!!!
hows that country livin'?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:22:03 AM EDT
[#31]
It's yard art!

How DARE you concern your self with what is on MY property!

I should be able to do whatever I want until I get up into airspace.

F'off
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#32]
One or two parts cars nicely stored are enough. Beyond that, your place is an eyesore. Its people like that that cause zoning rules to be created.
Edit to add:
If you have more than 2 scrap cars, do us a favor and sell them off for the steel content. Get rid of them. You're bringing everyone else down with your lazy habits. Noone wants to live next to Fred Sanford.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:48:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Testify my brotha!

Then there is always the ultimate I'll fix it up someday.  www.carsinbarns.com
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#34]
yeah, I guess there's something about living out the country that entails a lack concern for your outward appearance as well as a lack of  consideration for your neighbors. Mmmmmm that's good country living.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

God Bless you Brother!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#36]
its funny how posts like this really bring out the libtards!
seems that anyone who worked their whole life away doing what they wish with what is thier own should have it taken away?...can you thay EMINENT DOMAIN?
    I'm not sure which is our biggest threat,..the L'tards or the Illegals?  one in the same

edit to ad: thank the second amendment! for without, they would make all personal property obsolete.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
yeah, I guess there's something about living out the country that entails a lack concern for your outward appearance as well as a lack of  consideration for your neighbors. Mmmmmm that's good country living.

It's called MINDING YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS!

Besides,no one can see my "collection" unless they come back on my property.

Yet,I can HEAR the asswipes stereos from the road 1/2 mile away.Or at least the bass.At midnight.Talk about consideration.

Or maybe the family,Mom,Dad,and two kids,who came across the back of my place weekend before last on dirt bikes and 4 wheelers.I was standing there retensioning fence wire.Hell,they even waved! I suspect that they just moved into one of the latest,pack 'em in developments to spring up around here,like everywhere else.And hey! Ain't it NICE that there's all these woods and fields to ride in,and leave all our trash strewn around!Nothing says consideration like new 4 wheeler tracks across a newly planted field.Damn shame I started dropping long pieces of old fence boards,with strategically placed 16d nails,points up,under leaves,all along these "trails".

And I bet they're the first to complain about the smells of country living,or getting stuck behind a slow moving piece of equipment,as they race home to microwave a good family supper,in the comfort of their AC.

Yeah,that's consideration!

Again,mind your own business,and stay off what's not yours!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#38]
City people crack me up.
"OMG, he has a car in his back pasture"!...."Gasp Gulp Gasp!!"
"OMG, those....people have ..... trees!!!"
"OMG, look a cow! Should we call animal control?"

Folks, for your own safety, stay in the city and if you must visit the country, leave your asshats at home. You dont need to be wearing them for us to ID ya
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Because people will buy that shit for mor than you paid for it...

Someday...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
hoarders

hoarders.org/

www.disposophobia.theplan.com/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding

same disorder as these people:
theplan.com/clutter1/images/MVC-672F400.jpg

why some people become hoarders:  brain problems

Yep, I have a great uncle who is one. He knows the stuff he has is junk, but he has to take them, he insists he can use it for something someday. It is going to be hell when he dies and we have to go there and throw out all his crap.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I do believe it is a part of country living.

I do sell them if I think someone is seriously going to rebuild it. I let a 1969 Bonneville and a 1965 ford pickup  go a couple years ago. I still have a 40's Hudson & an Evinrude snowmobile that I doubt I will ever get going again.

The guy who rebuilt the Ford did an excellent job!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So yours is away from the road. I drive by plenty of "collections" that line the roadway. If I had a way to host them I could show you some real winning "collections" of junk. Should your neighbor have to look out his window at, say, 50 junk cars in your front yard? Where does his ability to have a say in how his neighborhood looks end?

The guy ranting about cows is oversimplfying the issues.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#43]
If you're doing a restoration it's one thing, but to have the amount that we're talking about is kind of nuts IMO.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
its funny how posts like this really bring out the libtards!
seems that anyone who worked their whole life away doing what they wish with what is thier own should have it taken away?...can you thay EMINENT DOMAIN?
    I'm not sure which is our biggest threat,..the L'tards or the Illegals?  one in the same

edit to ad: thank the second amendment! for without, they would make all personal property obsolete.

oh yeah, the libtards

I was thinking it brought out the slovenly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So yours is away from the road. I drive by plenty of "collections" that line the roadway. If I had a way to host them I could show you some real winning "collections" of junk. Should your neighbor have to look out his window at, say, 50 junk cars in your front yard? Where does his ability to have a say in how his neighborhood looks end?

The guy ranting about cows is oversimplfying the issues.

Beats living next to a 500 lb woman who wears a thong!

Mine's out of sight simply because we're back out of sight.Not by design.Once the place next to me is developed (already sold) it's going to be in sight.And so will I.Bushhogging at 0600.Nekkid.A muffler? What's that?
Hog pen strategically placed upwind. Heck,we just picked upa couple old commodes to plant flowers in,out front where the new road will pass.

A neighbors ability to have a say in anything ends at his property line.PERIOD.Don't like it? Move.Or buy more land.Or go back with a bunch of like-minded,"know what's best for alls".
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
A neighbors ability to have a say in anything ends at his property line.PERIOD.Don't like it? Move.Or buy more land.Or go back with a bunch of like-minded,"know what's best for alls".

Why should *I* have to move because the guy next door makes his property a junkyard? Theres moderation in everything, and as that site carsinbarns that someone posted a link to clearly shows, some people take it to an extreme. Some of these HOA's go to an extreme, but they do so BECAUSE of people like the ones we are talking about.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#47]
We have quite a few old ones, but most of them are out of sight of the roadway. We even have a shell of a 70 Mustang Boss 302 rusting away, it is beyond help though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
There is good money in old cars,but most of the morons will not part with anything. You ask about
buying a car and they tell you they are going to fix it up,ten years later it still sits there rusting away.

Yep, know a guy who has three jeeps, two Power Wagons, and a DUKW (all WWII vintage) in the yard,
rusting away, but won't sell them. "I'm going to fix them up!"

That was ten years ago, easy, that I was asked him about the jeeps, and I drove by yesterday,
and the only difference was that he'd moved one of the jeeps a few feet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#49]
All I can think of is an editorial I saw in the local paper 10-15 years ago.
A newbie was HORRIFIED at hearing gunshots all the time."We move from the city to get AWAY from all that".

Same attitude.One man's treasure......
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should *I* have to move because the guy next door makes his property a junkyard? Theres moderation in everything, and as that site carsinbarns that someone posted a link to clearly shows, some people take it to an extreme. Some of these HOA's go to an extreme, but they do so BECAUSE of people like the ones we are talking about.

Then don't move there to begin with.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top