Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 8:58:42 AM EDT
In Canada there is this process where a “referendum” can be held to get everyone to vote and pass a particular law, proposal or something.

I am somewhat knowledgeable about American politics but having only been here a while I don’t know all the ins and outs.

Is there some kind of a procedure where there can be a vote and the people can just say, “No…you’re out of control and the bullshit stops here”?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#1]
No, there is nothing like that.  It's all done through representative election system, or revolution by force.  There is only one nation-wide election, for the presidency.  Otherwise it is state-by-state.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No, there is nothing like that.  It's all done through representative election system, or revolution by force.  There is only one nation-wide election, for the presidency.  Otherwise it is state-by-state.

I guess that's kind of a way of saying, "No…you’re out of control and the bullshit stops here”...sort of the American version of a Canadian referendum.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess that's kind of a way of saying, "No…you’re out of control and the bullshit stops here”...sort of the American version of a Canadian referendum.

You have that, we have the 2nd amendment.  You have to remember our charter was drafted by revolutionaries.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have that, we have the 2nd amendment.  You have to remember our charter was drafted by revolutionaries.

Well, to be fair, there was the Upper Canada Rebellion.  It’s just that there weren’t enough Patriots at the time…like here now (which isn't to say I advocate revolution, but I mean even patriotic in the way they vote and what they will stand for).
But, that aside, I did come here because I strongly agree with the founding principles.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Constitutional Amendment anyone?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#6]
but if there are enough state level referendums, it would certainly gain the attention of the national gov't.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Are you old enough to remember when they tried this with the equal rights amendment?

What a bunch of bullshit.

We just need to voice our opinion loud enough and long enough that our politicians grow a pair and actually pass a law that actually deals with this.  Just don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Issue-based national referendums are nothing more than prettied-up mob rule.

Thank God our Founding Fathers created a representative republic and not a parlimentary system.

The two party system is our salvation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Issue-based national referendums are nothing more than prettied-up mob rule.

Thank God our Founding Fathers created a representative republic and not a parlimentary system.

The two party system is our salvation.

The Founding Fathers did not create that abomination.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#10]
They may not have created the 2P system, but it is the natural extension of our RepRep system.

The parlimentary system allows for many parties and forces the creation of coalition governments.  The result is knee-jerk legislation and governments that come and go at irregular intervals.

There is nothing about the ParSys that is good.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

We don't need one. What they are doing is already illegal. Keep your powder dry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top