Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 8:53:04 AM EDT
This is my first time actually speaking to an NRA representative on the phone.  Actually, he told me he was calling me on behalf of "Wayne".  He reminded me about Florida (and other state's) castle doctrine laws and how the NRA is urging to have castle doctrine laws in every state across the US.  He wanted to know how much money he could tell Wayne that I would be contributing to help the cause, and that a $100 contribution would get me some collectible knife.  I told him to just send me the info packet in the mail and I'll think about it.

Anyway... Although I support the NRA, I question how effectively all the contributions are being used to help preserve gun rights across the US.

Now... Flame on NRA haters!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The NRA bashing that going to start here in a few minutes is growing tiresome.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a life member.  I think I've contributed to the NRA.  I would prefer to be counted as one of their numbers than one of the gunowners in this country who isn't a member.

However, I do see way to much effort going into marketing and fundraising.  I probably get about 50-100 pieces of mail from the NRA every year asking me for more money.  It just gives me the impression that marketing is a major component, if not the major component of what the NRA actually does with the money.  In my experience, the more money you give them, the more they will spend on asking you for more.  I know I'm not the only person who has gotten that impression from the vast volume of their efforts being used to support these activities.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#3]
<cough> GOA <cough>
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Only thing I hate about the NRA is all the junk mail they send me.  It is a waste, I dont want it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Only thing I hate about the NRA is all the junk mail they send me.  It is a waste, I dont want it.

Then why not tell them to stop?  Yes, it's no harder than that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then why not tell them to stop?  Yes, it's no harder than that.

I believe the NRA has a restricted mailing list, call them on their 800 number with your membership ID and tell them you want to be put on that list.

qwijibo:  Remember orgainized paid professional lobby is very expensive, I've done mony grass-roots 2nd Amend. stuff, and it is very hard.  You need those pros to take care of the job.  On the contrary, people and  most importantly the anti-gunners think that the NRA is rich, they are sort of right, ie if they only need to concentrate on like one state or so, but the NRA has to be in many states, and that kind of coverage cost big bucks.

Besides you have to counteract the news media bias, many times, years ago, the NRA has paid to put on a commercial on TV and was rejected due to "too controversial" or some other BS given by the station, yet the LAPD run almost the identical commercial, with zero problems from the station.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm a life member.  I think I've contributed to the NRA.  I would prefer to be counted as one of their numbers than one of the gunowners in this country who isn't a member.

However, I do see way to much effort going into marketing and fundraising.  I probably get about 50-100 pieces of mail from the NRA every year asking me for more money.  It just gives me the impression that marketing is a major component, if not the major component of what the NRA actually does with the money.  In my experience, the more money you give them, the more they will spend on asking you for more.  I know I'm not the only person who has gotten that impression from the vast volume of their efforts being used to support these activities.

look folks the  NRA is not a buch of idiots they have done they marketing effectiveness tests and probably know about how much will be contributed by each type of marketing plan. its not like we all just send money, it takes a little reminder about what the current issue is.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Upgrade to life, you will never get a solicitation again.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#9]
You can also contact the NRA and tell them no junk mail.  That's how I got them to stop cluttering my box.  I think a national castle law that limits both criminal and civil liability is good.  We should not become like England where you're punished for harming a burglar who breaks into your home and frightens you and your family.  They've gone sissy over there in the UK and Australia and we should not follow their lead.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

look folks the  NRA is not a buch of idiots they have done they marketing effectiveness tests and probably know about how much will be contributed by each type of marketing plan. its not like we all just send money, it takes a little reminder about what the current issue is.

+1.  They have surely done their marketing homework, and will know that, if they spend $X on a particular marketing program, they will get back approximatly $Y.  If these mailings really cost them more than they brought in, they wouldn't do them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Upgrade to life, you will never get a solicitation again.

Wrong.

Life member since 2002. I get junk mail occasionally from the NRA.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
<cough> GOA <cough>

Who are they? Oh yeah..........the gun rights group that doesn't have enough clout to get anything done...........thats right.

This group called the NRA..........it seems that every anti-gunner hates them because............they are pretty damn effective.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wrong.

Life member since 2002. I get junk mail occasionally from the NRA.

Well, maybe never get mail again, but I definitely don't get anywhere near enough to complain about it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#14]
All I ever get is American Rifleman and a renewal notice.

Move north of the border
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
<cough> GOA <cough>

Get Both
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
<cough> GOA <cough>

And a similiar sounding cough from me too.

Join GOA. Them's good people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top