Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 5:51:29 AM EDT
I have a couple of quick questions for our Canadian members.  What is the legal drinking age in Canada, and is it different between the various provinces?  Also, is underage drinking as much of a problem or concern as it is in the US?  Finally, how does the country deal with the issue?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe Canadians suckle Molsons from der modders teat from birth, eh.

Quoted:
I have a couple of quick questions for our Canadian members.  What is the legal drinking age in Canada, and is it different between the various provinces?  Also, is underage drinking as much of a problem or concern as it is in the US?  Finally, how does the country deal with the issue?  Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]
19 in Ontario.  I live in Detroit and went to Windsor every weekend from age 19-21.  Good times.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#3]
19 pretty much everywhere.

Underage drinking is no more of a problem there than here. Good kids and irresponsible ones too.

Laws differ between provinces as to where and when alcohol can be sold/served. Frinstance: I lived 40 miles from Quebec, we would drive there to buy bere on Sundays and holidays since sales were restricted in Ontario. We could also do last call at 1AM and drive to Temiscaming and drink till 3AM. I believe they can drink till 2AM in Ontario now.
I Alberta you can buy beer to take home at the bar, in Quebec it's sold at corner stores, in Ontario only at Brewer's Retail stores.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Isn't it illegal for underage Americans to drink in a foreign country ?  Some teacher back in my HS told me it was.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Isn't it illegal for underage Americans to drink in a foreign country ?  Some teacher back in my HS told me it was.  

No, as usual, your teacher lied to you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:31:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 As Poo said 19 in Ontario. I live an hour from the border and we used to go all the time from 19 right up until 21 and we still go once and awhile. Fun times.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the normal/typical punishment for underage drinkers?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
19 in Ontario.  I live in Detroit and went to Windsor every weekend from age 19-21.  Good times.

+1

Sarnia was only about 35 minutes away and Windsor was about 1.25 hours. I lived in the Lapeer area at the time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yeah, it was the Sparks - Bookman Act of 1962.

Stay out of our bars and stay away from our women.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They usually puke all over themselves...

Punishment?... Dude this is Canada. We don't even punish real criminals.
Any under age drinkers I've ever heard of just get their booze confiscated and are told to get lost.
You can be issued a ticket/fine.
Practically speaking I think the cops are more concerned with making sure drunk kids get home safely than getting them into trouble..
My little brother came home in the back of a police car more than once when he was a teenager.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]
it's 18 in quebec.  a bunch of my highschool friends made the long drive up there as soon as they turned 18.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They usually puke all over themselves...

Punishment?... Dude this is Canada. We don't even punish real criminals.
Any under age drinkers I've ever heard of just get their booze confiscated and are told to get lost.
You can be issued a ticket/fine.
Practically speaking I think the cops are more concerned with making sure drunk kids get home safely than getting them into trouble..
My little brother came home in the back of a police car more than once when he was a teenager.

That is awesome. I had a buddy that was a patrol cop and he would try to do that as much as he could. He caught a drunk driver once that was a block from his house. He got him home and took his keys. This was in a small town.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sounds like someone was going to be a chaperone on a HS trip...

Mike
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#14]
ahhh the memories of winsdor on a warm summer night, every 19-21 year old from s/e mich seems to be there, great times.

course that was damn near 10 years ago now, but i''m sure it aint changed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Usually the cops just make you pour it out or they take it from you. Happened to me a couple times, not for underage but for drinking at the beach and the sand pit.
I never heard of anyone getting a ticket for underage drinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top