Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 7:50:55 PM EDT
My Wolff gun springs came for my P229 today.  I had them in my Ruger GP100, and my wife has them in her Sig P232 .380.

I ordered reduced hammer springs and a replacement recoil spring.  The old recoil spring has about 8,000 rounds through it, and with my new .357Sig barrel I wanted a new one.  Now, the stock spring looks like a cable; it's many strands and easy as hell to compress.  I have to tell you though, this Wolff 17 pounder had me cursing at the top of lungs in my office.  I even snapped at my wife when she asked me what was going on.  It literally took me 20 minutes to get the sucker installed, and one time I had it almost compressed and the guide shot out and dented the sheetrock near the window (pic coming).  

Now I'm worried that I'm going to go through this saga every time I field strip the pistol.  A 17lb spring should nto give a thirty-something man this much hassle.  Anyone else have this problem when transitioning from the cable-type spring to a normal coil spring?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The 16lb spring I put in my CZ was a bitch and a half.  Didn't take me 20 minutes to get it in, tho.  

Get it in and work it a bit, then go shoot the gun to work it in before you disassemble.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The 16lb spring I put in my CZ was a bitch and a half.  Didn't take me 20 minutes to get it in, tho.  

Get it in and work it a bit, then go shoot the gun to work it in before you disassemble.  

Yeah, I tried to leave the slide locked back for a few hours.  I'm sure as hell not taking it apart for a while.  Even after I put 300 rounds through it tomorrow, I'll probably be too pussy to take it apart - my damn fingers hurt!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
time to hit the gym
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
time to hit the gym

That's what I was thinking.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
snip

Dat sounds a little bit freaky freaky.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
GLOCK factory captured guide rod and recoil spring = simple removal / install

I used the Wolff uncaptured rod and 17 lb spring, it was rather difficult to install it the first time, but after awhile the spring takes a compression set and it gets easier.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]

YEE HAW!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
time to hit the gym

You guys suck.  It was not a hand strength problem, rather a resitance to pain issue.  Ouch.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
time to hit the gym

Yep, sometimes it sucks being a metrosexual
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]
use a table and push the gun against it!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
time to hit the gym

You guys suck.  It was not a hand strength problem, rather a resitance to pain issue.  Ouch.

WE suck?
You aren't strong enough to keep a spring from kicking your ass and now you can't take a little pain?

So you're really a girl, right?

J/K

Anyhow, I will tell you how I do it.
Wrap both hands around mag on table. Alternating index fingers I work one coil after another into the mag using alternate fingers. Once in I grasp mag tight and get index finger over the top. Once there in controlled position I can slide the floor plate on and voila!

Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't as you may have already figured that out.

Or maybe you just need to hit the gym.

I guess the libtard in the line at the DMV didn't have much to worry about.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
time to hit the gym

WE suck?
You aren't strong enough to keep a spring from kicking your ass and now you can't take a little pain?

J/K

Wrap both hands around mag on table. Alternating index fingers I work one coil after another into the mag using alternate fingers. Once in I grasp mag tight and get index finger over the top. Once there in controlled position I can slide the floor plate on and voila!

I really want to see you install the recoil spring in a magazine. Reading is fundamental.  Comprehension is complex.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
time to hit the gym

WE suck?

J/K

I really want to see you install the recoil spring in a magazine. Reading is fundamental.  Comprehension is complex.

Alright, I deserve that and I can take my lumps.

Still funny as hell though, I can just see PeteCo cussing and turning red. LOL.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yep, I was in my office, "sonofabitch", "dammit", etc and she asked me something.  I muttered the answer (not very loudly) and she asked me again.  "Dammit, I'm in the middle of something!!  Have some patience for shit's sakes!!!  Just a second!"

Her:  "Hey, don't yell at me just because your toy isn't working right"  "You mumble when you are pissed off"

Me:  "Grrrr." "Fuck Wolff, fuck Sig, and fuck this fucking spring.  Piece of shit."

That's about how it went.  As I sit here typing, I am looking down at the pistol, debating whether or to take it apart and see if it has compressed at all.  Pain in the ass thing.......I can see it rapidly becoming my nemesis.

The hard part was trying to press the spring AND guide the rod through it at the same time.  It kept hanging up on coils right where the counterbore is.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Lock the slide open for a few days. Or rack it several hundred times, Or go and shoot several hundred rounds through it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Lock the slide open for a few days. Or rack it several hundred times, Or go and shoot several hundred rounds through it.

Hell NO!  Don't do that!  Then it will be time for a new one!

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
time to hit the gym

WE suck?

J/K

All in good fun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I was in my office, "sonofabitch", "dammit", etc and she asked me something.  I muttered the answer (not very loudly) and she asked me again.  "Dammit, I'm in the middle of something!!  Have some patience for shit's sakes!!!  Just a second!"

Her:  "Hey, don't yell at me just because your toy isn't working right"  "You mumble when you are pissed off"

Me:  "Grrrr." "Fuck Wolff, fuck Sig, and fuck this fucking spring.  Piece of shit."

That's about how it went.  As I sit here typing, I am looking down at the pistol, debating whether or to take it apart and see if it has compressed at all.  Pain in the ass thing.......I can see it rapidly becoming my nemesis.

The hard part was trying to press the spring AND guide the rod through it at the same time.  It kept hanging up on coils right where the counterbore is.

Pretty much the way I figured it went down.

I'd leave it alone if I were you!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#19]

"Raise his voice to me, will he? That pond he likes to swim in just iced over!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top