Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 2:56:49 PM EDT
First, I feel very sorry for E V and his family. Especially his family.
That being said, if this tragic news had been posted as an news article, not knowing that E V is a member, how many people would nominate him for the Darwin Award, etc?; knowing the details that have been posted here after the fact?
I sincerely am not trying to be morbid; just obseving the Hypocrisy that is a part of our lives.
Had it been an 'unknown' person, (not part of ar15.com family) what sort of wise-ass comments, you know the standard ones, would be posted here?
I hope he and his family recover from this, somehow. And I hope folks will have compassion for a man who feels like he did. If you have never been there, you would not understand.
God Bless him and his family, lets hope you never have to walk that mile in the shoes of someone who feels that way. And, if you have a buddy who is not being his usual self, well, do all you can to help him out. I lost a few good friends over the years.....................Still ponder, what if I.................. I had.......

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC it was a suicide attempt.  that hardly constitutes a darwin award.  IMO the people around here are pretty respectful of suicide attempts, and doubly so for military people.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
<inserty typical TRH heartless bastard response>

people commit suicide all the time or at least try to.

edit: please stop with the touchy feely politically correct "hurt himself" line.  he put a gun to his head and tried to end his life.  he failed and he and his family are dealing with the consequences.  life sucks, drive on.  maybe he knocked some sense into himself and he can turn his life around.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a hypocrit! just like most of us are.

I however have never made light of the spectre of suicide.

Denying God from working his will in/through your life is a sin.  

That is all.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe the latest update has it labeled as a possible....accidental "he was thinking about it but then passed out do to his drunkenness and accidentally squeezed the trigger" IDFK...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I just don't understand how he failed. It makes me wonder, everyone has that morbid sense of curiosity in them. Did he put the barrel in his mouth, against his temple, where? It gives me chills that he wanted it all to end, imagine what he's thinking now, knowing he screwed that up. Does he still want to die?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all, I like many of us just wonder how it went so wrong. It seems so cut and dry.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just don't understand how he failed. It makes me wonder, everyone has that morbid sense of curiosity in them. Did he put the barrel in his mouth, against his temple, where? It gives me chills that he wanted it all to end, imagine what he's thinking now, knowing he screwed that up. Does he still want to die?

seems from the latest update that it might have given him a shakeup that might snap him out of it.  about as "rock bottom" as one can get.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#7]
IBTL
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I think every person has a choice to decide whether or not they want to live.

Whatever happens afterwards, they knew what they were getting into.

I'll leave it at that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

seems from the latest update that it might have given him a shakeup that might snap him out of it.  about as "rock bottom" as one can get.

i don't know, but he's the second person i've heard about getting hit in the head with a 7.62x39 and living to tell about it.  i would perhaps assume that it didn't begin to tumble before exiting, since it only passed through a few inches of flesh?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe he will see that there is a reason he lived and find his purpose.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Some people are alive only because they don't have the courage to pull the trigger.  

Fire away....I know all the requisite selfish and coward's way out comments.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Some people are alive only because they don't have the courage to pull the trigger.  

There are alot of people on here who have been in the closet for a long time and never pulled the trigger
My attempt at humor
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are alot of people on here who have been in the closet for a long time and never pulled the trigger

That was good!!!
My attempt at humor

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
First, I feel very sorry for E V and his family. Especially his family.
That being said, if this tragic news had been posted as an news article, not knowing that E V is a member, how many people would nominate him for the Darwin Award, etc?; knowing the details that have been posted here after the fact?
I sincerely am not trying to be morbid; just obseving the Hypocrisy that is a part of our lives.
Had it been an 'unknown' person, (not part of ar15.com family) what sort of wise-ass comments, you know the standard ones, would be posted here?
I hope he and his family recover from this, somehow. And I hope folks will have compassion for a man who feels like he did. If you have never been there, you would not understand.
God Bless him and his family, lets hope you never have to walk that mile in the shoes of someone who feels that way. And, if you have a buddy who is not being his usual self, well, do all you can to help him out. I lost a few good friends over the years.....................Still ponder, what if I.................. I had.......

I thought the same thing when I read the original post.  I replied in that post as polietely as I could.

I have NO SYMPATHY for suicide attemps or sucesses.

PERIOD!

Travis
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]

I have NO SYMPATHY for suicide attemps or sucesses.

PERIOD!

Travis

I'm pretty much of the same opinion...

That story is tragic, and prayers go out to the families involved...and at the same time, I get infuriated when people (that are in reality blessed and have all the reasons TO live) selfishly attempt to, or succeed at taking their own lives...and over what?  In this case, he was sad that a relationshp was over???  WTF?!?  I bet he's much more "clear" now...and is wondering how or why he could have done this to himself.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I doubt very seriously this young man's attempted suicide was caused by something as simple as a failed relationship.  He, more than likely, dealt with demons most people can not imagine.  How can we possibly know that his suffering did not far outweigh the grief he will leave behind?  It is so easy to judge complex issues from behind the keyboard.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Who?  What?  Where?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I vote for "We all have problems" and "Life's a bitch".

How you deal with it is up to you.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#20]

This thread is in such bad taste, I don't know where to begin.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Why is it necessarily a bad thing for a grown up to attempt/commit suicide?

I mean a kid?  Sure... they don't have a clue.  They don't know what "real" problems are.

But an adult?  Come on...  If a guy thinks "My life would be better if it ended know"  it should be his choice.

He tried, he failed, so be it.  At least he tried, right?  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Why is it necessarily a bad thing for a grown up to attempt/commit suicide?

I mean a kid?  Sure... they don't have a clue.  They don't know what "real" problems are.

But an adult?  Come on...  If a guy thinks "My life would be better if it ended know"  it should be his choice.

I agree.
I have a few friends end thier lives, where they "selfish"? NO, they were tired of fighting an everlasting internal battle. I miss them, but I feel it would have been selfish of me not to let them, as adults, NOT make thier own decisions.
You have to think about how much is eating away at a person that wants to kill themselves, it must have gotten pretty bad for them.

I say no more

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.

Agreed.  Some things are left better unsaid.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#25]
let it rest guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top