Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 12:51:22 PM EDT
Basically, the Army is going to put seeker heads on the old Hydra 2.75" aerial rocket, ala JDAM. Cool! Now, a helicopter can carry DOZENS of cheap(er) guided munitions...why spend $50K to wipe out a rag with a huge warhed, when all you need to do is eviscerate him.

link to article

here's another

The Army's Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS) is intended to fill the gap between the current unguided 2.75" Hydra-70 Rocket System and the HELLFIRE anti-tank missile. It is anticipated that APKWS will be comprised of a laser sensor and guidance package coupled with the Hydra-70 rocket. It is designed to use the current MK66 rocket motor, M151 10 pound high explosive fragmentation warhead, M423 point detonating fuse, and the M260 or M261 rocket launcher. The MK66 rocket motor and associated component parts (warhead, fuze, etc.) are those that are currently in the inventory, however, the APKWS is designed to be compatible with any 2.75 inch rocket system in the inventory at time of acquisition. The rocket warhead and fuze are integrated with a laser sensor and a highly accurate guidance assembly resulting in a precision guided weapon. The APKWS is programmed with the aircraft's compatible laser code and loaded into the aircraft rocket launcher(s). The APKWS is designed and intended to enhance the existing rocket system and to complement the Hellfire missile system; providing a significantly lower cost per kill against soft to lightly armored point targets. Precision guidance and warhead size of the APKWS will significantly reduce collateral damage. These features will make APKWS the weapon of choice during operations in urban terrain or for aerial fire support missions in close proximity to friendly forces. The APKWS will be employed from attack, armed reconnaissance, or other designated helicopters.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Its nice but we had a thread on it.

Still cool, 76 guided missiles...

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]

next up they'll be putting these things on UAV's
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a great idea!

We could use those to guard the southern border!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
These would be GREAT for Predator.

One could carry, what? Two 19 shot pods? Sweet!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmm. I'm thinking.  Guided Willy Peter, Flechette(Nails), and 17pound HEs.  I have no problem with this at all.

I dont think the Predators can carry two 19-shot pods.  I think there would be a ground clearance issue, and the weight issue.  I think Hellfires weigh 100 pounds each, so one 19-shot pod would weigh more than two Hellfires, if you factor in the weight of the pod itself.  If this program works out, I'd say the predator would pack two 7-shot pods, or maybe even 5 of the newer(or older, depending on how you wanna look at it) pods.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet, a solution to illegal border crossings.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What exactly are the capabilities of these things anyhow?

-K
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hmmmm. I'm thinking.  Guided Willy Peter, Flechette(Nails), and 17pound HEs.  I have no problem with this at all.

I dont think the Predators can carry two 19-shot pods.  I think there would be a ground clearance issue, and the weight issue.  I think Hellfires weigh 100 pounds each, so one 19-shot pod would weigh more than two Hellfires, if you factor in the weight of the pod itself.  If this program works out, I'd say the predator would pack two 7-shot pods, or maybe even 5 of the newer(or older, depending on how you wanna look at it) pods.

You have to be an old fart.

Those have been out of the system for years. They worked real good on the ARA Hueys and Cobras though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What exactly are the capabilities of these things anyhow?

-K

anti personnel (groups) and anti light vehicles/unhardened structures IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
........................The APKWS is designed and intended to enhance the existing rocket system and to complement the Hellfire missile system; providing a significantly lower cost per kill against soft to lightly armored point targets. Precision guidance and warhead size of the APKWS will significantly reduce collateral damage. These features will make APKWS the weapon of choice during operations in urban terrain or for aerial fire support missions in close proximity to friendly forces. The APKWS will be employed from attack, armed reconnaissance, or other designated helicopters.

It's all about the Benjamins, yo.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Grow up.

Bush would use these things against Americans before he would his precious Mexicans...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
But does they got beamz?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
But does they got beamz?

Sure, LASER BEAMZ!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Laser-guided 2.75 in. rockets; boy, that'll put the hurt on the insurgency in Iraq.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Faster pussycat! Kill Kill!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Helos in combat... lol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grow up.

Bush would use these things against Americans before he would his precious Mexicans...

Thats the truth.  Our votes mean nothing, our laws mean nothing.  All hail President Fox and his body servant Jorge Bush!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grow up.

You're right, "solution" is the wrong word, but it would be a good tool against the Mexican technicals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top