Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 8:37:22 AM EDT
Considering buying a 4wd Tundra V-8. Dealer has $6000 Rebates on Tundras right now.
V-8 Tundras get 15/18 mpg weighing in @ 4900lbs.
4wd Tacos gets 18/21 mpg weighing in @ 3800lbs.
Taco get better milage and is quicker too.
No rebates on Tacos. Must haggle on price.
Is the Toyo V-8 subject to any probs? Piston slap at cold start
like many stroked V-8's can do?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd haggle on the taco, haggling is half of the fun of buying a car
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Tacoma
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Whichever you do, get the hardshell
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Tacoma's - as far as I know - come in V4 or V6.  I read once in consumer reports that the Toyota 4Runner had reliability issues w/ the V6 (rather uncharacteristic for Toyota), which is why we're getting the V8.  Don't know if the Taco shares the same V6 engine.  My flogged Camry V4 runs like a top.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tacoma's - as far as I know - come in V4 or V6.  I read once in consumer reports that the Toyota 4Runner had reliability issues w/ the V6 (rather uncharacteristic for Toyota), which is why we're getting the V8.  Don't know if the Taco shares the same V6 engine.  My flogged Camry V4 runs like a top.

HHAHAHA V4!!!!!!!! obviously you dont work on your own vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had my 04 Taco for a little over 2 years and love it! I get around 21mpg with the V6. Tundras are nice too but they are the V8 and the mpg will suffer a bit I would think! Mine is an Xtra cab and I love it dearly!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no kidding, and the V6 issue was solved about 18 years ago
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I just saw an new issue of the Consumer's Reports at the local library.  I think Toyota may have solve the reliability problem, I would trudge down to the local library and read the report.  It could save you some money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think you mean I4.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#11]
V4?  BAHAHAHAHA...  

Actually, did anyone ever make a V 4 cylinder?  I know there are flat fours...

BTW, I'd go taco, unless you need the extra towing capacity of the Tundra.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
V4?  BAHAHAHAHA...  

Actually, did anyone ever make a V 4 cylinder?  I know there are flat fours...

BTW, I'd go taco, unless you need the extra towing capacity of the Tundra.  

I want to say the super lightweight jeep that was made for the Korean war had an all aluminum V4, there are a couple motorcycles with a V4.  perhaps a couple european cars too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A stupid joke inferring hard or softshell taco.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm 6'4" / 225lbs.,  would I fit into a 4x4 Tacoma?

I kinda like them,  but I've never sat in one.

I kinda like the idea of a small 4x4 4 door pickup,  room for the whole family,  and still toss a dead deer in the back.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#15]
If you ever plan on towing a decent-sized boat or RV, the Tundra is obviously the way to go. Also, the difference in gas mileage probably isn't going to amount to more than 5-10 dollars a week, unless you put a lot of daily miles on it.

The redesigned Tundra will be out in December, which may help explain the rebates now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I kinda like the idea of a small 4x4 4 door pickup,  room for the whole family,  and still toss a dead deer in the back.

I'm 5'11" and 430 and its a bit of a squeeze but you should be fine
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#17]
If I ever decided to ditch my Trooper, I'd get a Taco.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an 05 taco TRD offroad crewcab and couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I rode a motorcycle once with a V-4.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a 03 Taco Crew cab, TRD, factory supercharged "chipped".  Factory warranty, 20 MPG,  three friends and all the guns IN THE CAB.  Couldnt ask for more, except maybe shoehorning the V8 into and racing the thing. 290 HP on a dyno, with 360Fp torque.  Spins em up quickly.  I have jumped the thing 20 ft a couple o times, seems to be tough enough,,, try that with a heavier truck.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Obviously"

Yes, it's an I4 & not a "V4".  My bad.  Other than changing the oil, filters, radiator, & some worn out lines, I haven't worked on engines (other than bikes) since rebuilding my dad's V8 350.  Modern engines aren't servicable by the avg. garage mechanic w/o serious equipment, & for the fact that they shoehorn the damned things into the engine bay.

I do believe there were some V4's out there, though specific models don't come to mind, & Toyota wasn't one of them.  At any rate, the issue we have of "Consumer Reports" is the 2006 Truck/SUV issue, & it states the V6 has had reliability problems.  I don't know if it's a generalization based on issues that have been addressed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Modern engines days aren't servicable by the avg. garage mechanic w/o serious equipment, & for the fact that they shoehorn the damned things into the engine bay.

this may actually have been an intelligent comment circa 1988.(with a couple of exceptions of course)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Mmm... tacos

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm 5'11" and 430

I'm 5'11" and 430

You like tacos a little too much, or did you make a typo somewhere?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Mmm... tacos

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm 5'11" and 430

I'm 5'11" and 430

I dunno, did I?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got an '03 4x4 V6 SR5, TRD, extended cab (or whatever Toyota calls) Taco.  If I'm gentle with it, I can eek out not quite 23 MPG on the highway.  Love the truck.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno, did I?

I dunno. Never seen a picture of you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Modern engines days aren't servicable by the avg. garage mechanic w/o serious equipment, & for the fact that they shoehorn the damned things into the engine bay.

this may actually have been an intelligent comment circa 1988.(with a couple of exceptions of course)

That's about when the trend started.  I recall hearing that a particular GEO model (Storm?) had to have its engine removed just to change the plugs.  Would be cool if the trend comes full-circle, wherein the engines become so electronically dependant that the avg. Joe can go down to the local auto shop, buy PC-based diagnostic software on CD, load it on the laptop, plug into an enigne interface port, diagnose the problem, & fix it by tweaking settings in the software.

Nah!  That'd screw the middleman.

The "shoehorn" design trend is a whole other problem.  I remember when I could sit on the front wheel well inside engine bay of our 1/2 tone truck, lean over & work on the engine.  No more.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Would be cool if the trend comes full-circle, wherein the engines become so electronically dependant that the avg. Joe can go down to the local auto shop, buy PC-based diagnostic software on CD, load it on the laptop, plug into an enigne interface port, diagnose the problem, & fix it by tweaking settings in the software.hate to break it to ya bucky, but you can already do this

Nah!  That'd screw the middleman.

The "shoehorn" design trend is a whole other problem.  I remember when I could sit on the front wheel well inside engine bay of our 1/2 tone truck, lean over & work on the engine.  No more.

my bmw is pretty damn roomy, my 84 toyota pickup is damn near old school domestic roomy, most shoehorned cars you come across are sports cars especially the 350z(that engine bay scares me)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive met you, and I would say you arent a pound over 410, dont be so modest.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive met you, and I would say you arent a pound over 410, dont be so modest.

I've been outed!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#32]
im a big taco fan...  so, taco all the way.

infact im toiling over buyin one myself...

ooh, 06 dcab, 4x4,sbed,trdF, 3in lift....  ooh aaah...  only 32k! damn Tacos have gone up in recent years....  

its either that, or.

04/05 subaru wrx STi for about 5-7k less:/

im leaning more and more tword the taco.

oh on a side note, the new Tacos still have the same huge damned toyota steering wheel...  im 6'7.5" tall and 300 lbs.(yes, i gots meez a gut) if they had a slightly smaller wheel it would be perfect. if i get one im gonna see if i can fit a celica wheel on it... if i cant still use the airbags... out comes the momo off of my corolla.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#33]
It totally depends on whether or not you need the power.  The Tundra is going to out pull, out haul and out tow the tacoma in every way you could imagine.  But, if you're not going to be using it like that, then a tacoma is defenitely the way to go.  I drive a full size truck with a V8 (silverado), but I trailer my car around a lot and constantly use the bed for hauling.  I would save the gas ($$$) if you don't need the power.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a tacoma, I got the previous body style and love it.  Love it so much spent 4 hours yesterday washing and waxing her.  Today I tire gelled the tires and armor alled the plastic fender flares, etc

Tundras dont come with a manual transmission option.  A deal killer for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top