Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 7:08:18 AM EDT
Or should I say, which cell phone service should my mom use. She has been a Suncom subscriber for quite a few years. But she wants to switch. Right now she's interested in Verizon. They've just opened a few office here. They are offering 1 year contracts. According to her, the Verizon coverage is the entire U.S.. Suncom's current coverage in our area is just NC and parts of VA. The deal she's looking at is two phones + 1400 minutes total for $80 a month. I know nothing about cell phones or cell phone service providers, so I wouldn't know a good deal if it bit me in the face.

Galland
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Galland: What is her intended useage for her phone, ie is she a person where she uses her phone between the hours of 6a-9p M-F.  If you exceed the number of allowed minutes, it could get very expensive.  Also, ask if those minutes are gone or is rolled over into the next month.

I would check with Consumers Reports at your local library, they did an extensive report on cell phones awhile back.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#4]
i had horrible service out of sprint, excellent service out of verizon.  im my area
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I drive a truck all over the country, and I have Verizon. I couldn't find better coverage.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Verizon is excellant!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Verizon Wireless
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks folks. She doesn't travel often, but she plans to travel a lot more in the coming years. I was just worried that she might be paying way too much for an unknown quality of service. It seems like a decent deal.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Verizon!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I am so ready to ditch Sprint.

Only 6 more months left on the fucking contract.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had Verizon Wireless for about a year and a half  , and am totally satisfied with the service.

I use cell exclusively. (No landline/wired phone)

If you get the National Calling plan - the charges are the same no matter where you are in the U.S.

As far as coverage goes , if you live in the Eastern Half of the U.S. , Verizon has Towers pretty
much everywhere, and you will hardly EVER have "roaming" charges.
( charges for calls transmitted on another companies network)

I don't live to talk on the phone , and I live alone , so my plan is 500 included minutes a
month - and I get an employee discount - so it only costs me $42 a month.

With a 2 year contract , you can  get  two pretty good phones for no charge.
I don't know what they offer with a 1 year plan.

Do some research here. -->  www.phonescoop.com/carriers/

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Verizon!

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#13]
none. The NSA uses them to broadcast subliminal messages in the background of ever call.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used Verizon for three years, VERY satisfied.  Don't buy the cheapest phone -- you can't blame Verizon for crappy reception if you have a CRAPPY PHONE!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]
T-Mobile prepaid service.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have Verizon, and like the service. Most of my family has it too; brother and his wife here in NM, plus  2 other brothers and a sister, all in the PRK, have it; it's very cheap to call them (free of charge, no LD or minutes if calling other Verizon customers).

Be careful to plot your usage; you may get stuck with buying too many minutes. I'm on the 300 minute/month package and it works out pretty well for me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Verizon national plans have no roaming charges anywhere in the lower 48 states.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Verizon is excellant!!

+1 good service.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Resolution:

My mom has decided to stick with AllTel. She pays $38.00 per month for a 1000 minute plan. This doesn't cover the entire USA. But they told her she can get whole country coverage by paying $10 whenever she needs it and stopping payment of the extra $10 when she returns home. And they also sold her a new phone for $70 in return for renewing her 2 year contract. This is good, as her ancient Nokia was falling to pieces. I assume $38 for a 1000 minute plan is a rather good price these days.

As for me, I'm sticking with my land line. Luddites unite!

Galland
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Anything but Verizon

www.verizonpathetic.com
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Anything But Sprint!
Sprint charges a early termination fee. I found out if you moved where they dont have service. You dont have to pay. Get out a coverage map And do a "move" if your on sprint. You wont regret it. Verizon is way better
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Cingular.  Go with the biggest and best.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Do not get Cingular. I have had nothing but horrible reception since I got my phone in summer '04. Half of my city (Akron, OH) seems to be a dead zone. Especially my house and my girlfriend's house. Even with a five minute phone call, it's likely that one of us is going to get dropped, even if we have five bars of reception. Not cool.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#25]
If you consider yourself anything of a power user stay the fuck away from Verizon!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Anything But Sprint!
Sprint charges a early termination fee. I found out if you moved where they dont have service. You dont have to pay. Get out a coverage map And do a "move" if your on sprint. You wont regret it. Verizon is way better

EVERYBODY charges an early termination fee. Verizon charges $175.

Sprint's is the cheapest at $150. Honestly, it's like herding cats with you guys. I hope you aren't suggesting that lying in order to cancel service with a company who provided you with a $200 cell phone that cost you NOTHING when you "bought" it is a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anything But Sprint!

EVERYBODY charges an early termination fee. Verizon charges $175.

Sprint's is the cheapest at $150. Honestly, it's like herding cats with you guys.

US Cellular's is $150 also.  Tried Verizon, Tried Unicel, US Cellular has had the best service for me so far, especially here in eastern oregon, they have exponentially better coverage and service.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top