Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 3:39:05 AM EDT
There's this two faced pos at work. He acts all high & mighty all the time preaching about god but then he steals on a daily basis & badmouths everyone behind their backs. Not to mention his work ethics are a joke.

Yesterday morning I saw him damage a expensive piece of equipment, then he runs & tells the boss that he found it that way when he came in.

If I rat him out he will be fired on the spot without a doubt. This guys got 23 years at the company. He's such a pos Im having a really hard time keeping my mouth shut but I don't want to be a rat either.

What would you do?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:46:33 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not an easy call. Messing with someone's livlihood and the welfare of their family is not something to do lightly. And the world will always be full of self-righteous hypocrits. You can't tilt at every windmill, choose your battles wisely. Did he damage the equipment intentionally?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a similar shitstain at my plant. He's one of them guys that belongs to a church where everyone is a pastor, and like to spread it around. Loves to pull me into his office (i don't work for him) and have stilted conversation  with me while sermons blare on his tape player-knowing I don't believe in God, the Devil, or the Faery Godmother. He's terrible at his job, and is one of the most lazy supervisors I have ever worked with.

Now, like you, I have run into situations where he should have been in some deep shit for the things he has done, not done, or fucked up. I learned that people who are at a company for 20 years don't have anyone snowed, management knows they are a fuckup, and they don't mind keeping them around. All you will do in ratting him out is make yourself look bad.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:51:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's not an easy call. Messing with someone's livlihood and the welfare of their family is not something to do lightly. And the world will always be full of self-righteous hypocrits. You can't tilt at every windmill, choose your battles wisely. Did he damage the equipment intentionally?

No he didn't intentionally but this wasn't the first time hes caused damage & didn't report it. When I saw what he did the first thing I said was "well that's gonna get you a drug test for sure". He got that dear in the headlights look & said he was gonna go tell the boss he found it that way. He just pisses me off so bad

Another reason I feel like snitching is because the pos takes so much pleasure & gloats so much every time someone gets fired.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:51:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I would mind my own business and not get involved.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I probably wouldn't rat him out, but if the boss starts in inquiry or places the blame on someone else I would come forward. Don't let someone else take the heat for this guy's mistake.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
If he constantly steals, you could always try setting him up in such a way where he'd succumb to the temptation of stealing something, but have it rigged somehow so he would definitely get busted by his boss, like maybe putting him in a position where he's alone around something valuable and easy to steal, such as money (particularly if it's the boss's money ).  

Or if he breaks a lot of stuff...just casually move some things around in the office so they're a little "easier" for him to break.  

As a matter of integrity, this guy's behavior needs to be dealt with because it negatively affects everyone at your workplace, however, it wouldn't be good for you to get too involved.  

I say do something (nothing stupid, of course), but be discreet and watch your six.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:00:23 AM EDT
[#7]
If the boss blames someone who is inncoent for the damage then I think you have to speak up.  If he's been there 23 years and damaged the equipment due to incompetence he needs to be let go.  How smart/ ethical is your boss, is he completely snowed by this guy?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I would look at from a nuetral stance, diregarding my personal dislike for the lying POS.

What if space aliens or a band of roving gangsters had come in and damamged the machinery?  Would you feel that it was the right thing to do to tell your supervisor what happened to the best of your knowledge?  Of course.

And do you think that bosses do not bear the brunt of responsibility for what happens on their watch?  Indeed they do!  Boss has probably eaten a ration of crap over his lousy crew messing up equipment, and bosses are usually a lot more disposable than hourly employees.

I would set up a time to talk to the boss privately, and say that I had taken some time to think this over because I'm not on good terms with POS, and did not want those personal feelings to affect my actions.  But having slept on it and asked some good people unconnected with my work their advice, I realize that we all have a responsibility to keep the workplace safe and productive.

And give a factual account of what happened.  It's the right thing to do.  For you, the company and especially your coworkers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:06:10 AM EDT
[#9]
The most consistant thing I have ever seen is people who preach about God who are hypocrites and thieves.

Therefore, I say to myself: If there is a God, let this God preaching piece of shit be dealt with by God himself.

Then God takes care of that person, and makes things right while exposing how evil that person really is.

If I were you I would stand back, and wait for the devine intervention.  It's just a matter of time.  The longer God takes to fix this issue, the larger the mushroom cloud will be.

Do not sink to the level of this POS or you'll be too close to ground zero.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:12:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would mind my own business and not get involved.  

+1. Petty shit smacks of too much soap operas and oprah.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:15:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd keep quiet about it unless you can overcome the burden of proof and make it reall worthwhile to ruin him.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There's this two faced pos at work. He acts all high & mighty all the time preaching about god but then he steals on a daily basis & badmouths everyone behind their backs. Not to mention his work ethics are a joke.

Yesterday morning I saw him damage a expensive piece of equipment, then he runs & tells the boss that he found it that way when he came in.

If I rat him out he will be fired on the spot without a doubt. This guys got 23 years at the company. He's such a pos Im having a really hard time keeping my mouth shut but I don't want to be a rat either.

What would you do?

He's helping create a hostile work environment as well as affecting morale.

I would say, "Aw gee Jim, buh bai."
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:38:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You can't tilt at every windmill, choose your battles wisely.

Choose carefully, indeed.

I had a fellow employee that was lazy and would shift everything on to the rest of us.  

I knew the guy was a friend of our boss.  

When the lazy ass left the company after about 2 years , my boss called me into his office and thanked me for not ratting out his "friend" to his superiors.

He commented that he was aware that I worked behind the scenes to make the situation better and focused on my work.

I have had several promotions since then.  My boss is a great guy, but he got himself into a jam with this "friend" of his....
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Unless his actions have a direct affect on you, let him be.
But if it affects you & your job capability, all bets are off, let'em have it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a fellow employee that was lazy and would shift everything on to the rest of us.  

When the lazy ass left the company after about 2 years , my boss called me into his office and thanked me for not ratting out his "friend" to his superiors.

He commented that he was aware that I worked behind the scenes to make the situation better and focused on my work.

I have had several promotions since then.  My boss is a great guy, but he got himself into a jam with this "friend" of his....

Now you know why HunterGren's antagonist is still employed at that place after twenty-three years. I'll bet his screwing up is not a new thing, and has been going on for a long time.

Tread carefully on this one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I probably wouldn't rat him out, but if the boss starts in inquiry or places the blame on someone else I would come forward. Don't let someone else take the heat for this guy's mistake.

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:58:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder how much of this Christian hypocrite stuff is true with you all, and not just another arfcom bandwagon fit in drive-by.

We know how you all feel...Why do we need a constant reminder?

Flame away, it is expected.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:00:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I just wish I could do that.  But he's pretty much immune.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I wonder how much of this Christian hypocrite stuff is true with you all, and not just another arfcom bandwagon fit in drive-by.

We know how you all feel...Why do we need a constant reminder?

Flame away, it is expected.

We might be able to save someone, who right now is falling under the spell of a "righteous" God-speaker.  Yes, everyone is entitled to make thier own mistakes, however if you tell me how Godly you are without me bringing up the subject - then I'm extremely suspicious and my own experiences are my justification.

I've never had an issue with people who live by the word, but when you step up on that pulpit to look down on us - I wonder what your problem really is.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

He's helping create a hostile work environment as well as affecting morale.

Yep. I'd definitely say something - someone like that, you can bet he'd do it to you if the tables were turned.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What would you do?

I am a retired Supervisor (20 years) A lot of my highest maintenance, whiney crooks were
the outwardly churchy, godly folks. We had Christian, JW you name it. The Catholics swore the most
and had the dirtiest jokes  and no, I am not an athiest. It was amazing to witness this

ETA: Just before I retired my Sup. replacement wears god on her chest with the fish on the car
and the whole shootin' match. She is the most condisending, arrogant mean little witch I have seen in a long time.
She is 26 years old, Mommy big boss got her the job. OTH, lots of kind loving church folk
employed there too. Its shocking to see the other extreme. Wow.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I've never had an issue with people who live by the word, but when you step up on that pulpit to look down on us - I wonder what your problem really is.

It's pretty easy actually. No different from the guy that tells you all about the show he watched last night or the dipshit that is always quoting lines from the blue collar comedy tour. People tend to regurgitate stuff they hear/see as a way to fill the silence. If they watch Seinfeld episodes 5 times a week you'll hear Seinfeldisms. If they watch the history channel 5 times a week you'll hear about World War II. If they watch the 700 Club 5 times a week...

GIGO

As far as the "looking down" I see that as a failing of the church leaders to accurately instill Christian values, instead introducing human flaws such as the need to feel superior by being better than your neighbors. These churches are in the minority but they do exist and promote (sometimes) subconscious secular agendas. A Christian must make an effort to avoid falling into those traps.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:24:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Machines don't break themselves.  

People other than the culprit are already having to take the blame for this.

1.  The last person who used the machine before POS got ahold of it.

2.  Whoever last signed off on the machinery maintenance.

3.  Boss who -- as things now stand -- has one or more irresponsible workers under him.

Yes, it would be bad for an employee to have to go tell the boss "I forgot to tighten the widget and the machine broke".  But these things happen, and the boss and higher ups would know they have  an honest workman and a cohesive crew.

It is infinitely worse that one POS tries to blame others for his mistakes.

Tight now, boss and higher ups have to consider sabotage, as well as honest mistakes.  

In this case the liar has chosen religion to hide his true nature behind.  He could have as easily chosen patriotism or the Boy Scouts.  All liars try to cloak themselves in something that is generally considered wholesome.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I am a spiritual person, that is my personal business.  If I start to be overt about it - beware, because I might just have an agenda.

I am not anti-God, or anti-religion whatsoever.  These are personal choices and values.  I have met great people with loving families that I have no clue what "they are" - until one day this same person has to reschedule a get togeter or some such because that time is already alloted to a function like Habitat for Humanity, or rehersal for a Church theatre event.  At that point, I know this person is a geniune good person.  I asked for the info, I wasn't told the info as they stepped up on thier Pulpit.

On the other hand, there was this owner of a Transmission shop who once told me right upfront:  "All my guys are Christians, I won't hire anyone who isn't a Christaian" - this guy was a POS that was cloaking his thievery while smiling right at your face.  I'm not sure what Christianity had to do with reputable transmission repair, but he stuck that right out in my face.  He's out of business now, because he lied to everyone, and stole from everyone.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

On the other hand, there was this owner of a Transmission shop who once told me right upfront:  "All my guys are Christians, I won't hire anyone who isn't a Christaian" - this guy was a POS that was cloaking his thievery while smiling right at your face.  I'm not sure what Christianity had to do with reputable transmission repair, but he stuck that right out in my face.  He's out of business now, because he lied to everyone, and stole from everyone.

Anyone can say they are a Christian. To those guys it's part of the act to help them achieve their goals, whatever they may be.

I can tell you I'm a pacifist. Still think I'm one when I curb-stomp a guy for looking at me sideways?

I think these people will be in for a rude awakening when the reckoning comes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thats sad. It gives the faith a blackeye.
Who was it that said, "Work out your own Salvation?"
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#27]
If he is a thief he deserves to be fired.

Ocassionally I attend one of the local churches.  Some of the meanest, most vindictive, handout grubbing losers and hypocrites that inhabit the community attend weekly.  Not for me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What would you do?

AHHHH! The old "Do as I say and not as I do" mentality... Nice!

Just call him on his hypocrisy. Tell him he better shut up about the preaching because if he cant do as he says, you WILL call him on it. and as long as he steals and lies, he will have to face his maker one day.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#29]
In a heartbeat........Would I??? I HAVE
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now you know why HunterGren's antagonist is still employed at that place after twenty-three years. I'll bet his screwing up is not a new thing, and has been going on for a long time.

Tread carefully on this one.

Excellent advice from all the above posters.  There is a reason he is still there after 23 years.  Be very careful.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Knock up his wife.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted: What would you do?
Man up and get him fired! He is costing YOU time, effort, and money. His presence in the workplace hurts you indirectly because of the wasted resources and hurts you directly when you pick up the slack.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Let me think, he makes the lives of you and your co-workers miserable and you have a legitimate opportunity to be rid of him.  What to do?

Pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Unless you have absolute proof aside from your own story, STFU for your own sake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top