Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 11:56:14 PM EDT
I've got a compaq presario v2000 laptop.  Due to my limited conditions I was wondering if there is any way that I could hook up a VCR or DVD up to it?  I realize that a gun forum isn't exactly the best place to be asking, but I've gotten a lot of help here before on off topic things and hopefully someone here will know or at least know where to get the answer. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought about this a few years ago, and the only thing I could come up with was a PCMCIA card with a TV tuner and A/V inputs.  You might be able to find one that uses USB too.  just do a google search to see what you will need.

Prices seem to be around $50-$100.  Some say they will allow you to "Tivo" stuff too.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.  Do you know if there's a way to just hook a vcr up to the laptop to use it as the screen?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:48:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You can use a hauppage WinTV recorder.  It hooks up to your laptop via USB.  I have one, and it works pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I use an ATI USB 2.0 TV setup. ITs wayyyy better than any Hauppouge crap.  Check it out its cheap and works great.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.  I'll take a look at that ATI tv usb thing.  Are there any other input options that will plug into a USB or S-video?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.  I'll take a look at that ATI tv usb thing.  Are there any other input options that will plug into a USB or S-video?

yea you can plug shit in to it
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.  Do you know if there's a way to just hook a vcr up to the laptop to use it as the screen?

no.. never seen a laptop with a Video-in jack. just add a pcmcia card..
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
easiest way is to use this www.svideo.com/prosvideo12.html

You just hook it up from vcr or dvd or tv to laptop and watch whatever and if you buy a dazzle then you can copy your old beta, vhs, 8mm and whatever to your puter.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
you can get a USB tuner card.  Mine has cable and RCA inputs, so i can do what i want A/V wise.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Just to answer your question, the vast majority of laptops have no provisions for any video inputs.  The circuitry isn't there.  An add-on device (card or USB) is required.

So no, you can't just jack in a VCR or DVD player.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Perfect, so now I know that I need to buy an add-on device.  Would the adapter that TrojanFan posted work?  From what I understand from the responces I'll need something a little more complicated than an adapter.  Is this right?  So, does anyone know what the cheapest and least complicated add-on device would be?

Thanks a lot for the help I've already received!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
A pcmcia card or usb tuner... and like a tv, you tune it to ch.3.  Set the slide switch on the back of the VCR to ch. 3.  Or set both to ch.4.

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1822570&CatId=0

That's just one device.... search around.  They make them in both USB and PCMCIA card types.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yea you can plug shit in to it

Quit being so damn technical
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top