Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 7:31:35 PM EDT

just found out...

just a black snake they played for a bit and then went there separate ways. we don't have many moccasin around here. don't think I have ever seen one
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Shotgun?  Both.

Rifle?  Snake.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Dead snake.. cats are amazingly crafty.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My vote as usual is with the puss.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
That snake is big enough that it could kill the cat, if it got a couple good coils arond it's neck. In my perfect world, this is what would happen.
 In the real world however, the cat will bite and claw the snake to wear it down enough for a pounce/kill. If the snake did get a coil around the cat, the cat would eviscerate it with it's claws.

The cat will live, simply to torment me.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Both.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Hard to get a positve ID on the snake, but with that triangular head I'm guessing it's a Timber Rattler or other pit viper.

If that's the case, pussy is dead meat if he gets tagged.

'Course, cats are agile sumbitches, too....

SG
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw something on cable (animal planet maybe?) a couple years back, about how feral cats were decimating the snake population in Australia.  They had video of a cat vs. cobra (or mamba, can't remember) battle and the cat won (it was over quickly).  They said about 90% of cat vs venomous snake contests go to the cat.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]
All snakes have to die. Period. I don't care if it comes about from shovel, boot, bullet, shot, car tire,
lawnmower, cat, dog, poison, etc. As long as the snake dies, I'm happy. Ever seen what happens to
a snake that gets caught in a crawfish trap? That seems like justice to me.

Sam

P.S. I like cats. One of my favorite childhood memories is watching 5 cats circling a poor, defenseless,
6' Boa Constrictor that my neighbor had. He had to go rescue his snake.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I saw something on cable (animal planet maybe?) a couple years back, about how feral cats were decimating the snake population in Australia.  They had video of a cat vs. cobra (or mamba, can't remember) battle and the cat won (it was over quickly).  They said about 90% of cat vs venomous snake contests go to the cat.

Sounds like Africa to me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These were not "big" cats, just the typical domestic cat species living in the wild (feral).  I distinctly remember it being Australia.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
That snake is already dead.  All you have to do to kill reptiles is harass them.  They get tired too easily, then they're dead meat.

Merlin
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]
When do we get the answer (and follow up pics)?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Get both!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

These were not "big" cats, just the typical domestic cat species living in the wild (feral).  I distinctly remember it being Australia.

I was basing it on the snakes you mentioned. You have them on the wrong continent.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#18]
My guess is the they each live, from what I see not a fight to the death, just the cat having some fun and the snake wishing the cat would go away, only a guess though.
cats are exceptional predators. I still can't believe so many people on this site dispise them considering that, you'd think at the least they'd respect them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#19]
besides, since that doesn't seem to be a viper, what could the snake possible do to harm the cat.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you AT LEAST let us know whether or not you HAVE the answer or if you're just asking us?!?

The anticipation is killing me
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
The snake's dead
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#22]
The cat,  All cats should die.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#23]
My money is on the cat
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag for outcome.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#25]
There are a few clues as to the outcome baised on the picture itself.

For one, think about where the camera man/woman is standing.  With a human directly behind the snake, the snake may be feeling cornered.

The snake is way too small to actually have reguarded the cat as food, so we can safely assume the cat is the agressor in this instance.

The cat is obviously well fed and has a healthy looking coat.  This suggests that the cat is either a pet (in which case the camera man may be the owner) or is ferral but a damn effective hunter (in which case the cat would have picked this fight with expectations of a meal).

In this instance I would expect the snake will die if the battle continues.  The snake's only real hope is to escape into the brush (and the snake does seem to be taking some refuge there) but again, concider the camera man.  Unless the camera man is using a telephoto lens of sorts you can guess his position to be within 6 ft or less of the snake.  This would suggest the brush is not dense enough to facilitate a safe escape for the snake.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd make chili outta the cat and fry up the snake, after the cat killed the snake of course.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Apparently this was just some joke!  No answer yet??!!  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Hard to get a positve ID on the snake, but with that triangular head I'm guessing it's a Timber Rattler or other pit viper.

If that's the case, pussy is dead meat if he gets tagged.

'Course, cats are agile sumbitches, too....

SG

Looks like a rat snake to me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Kittys gonna kick the rattler's ass.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#30]
they're both big for a reason. I say they both live.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#31]
i owe you guys an update...  i don't have an answer yet.
A buddy of mine sent me this pic of his cat and this snake.
They own a farm in MO and he is retired.  We were sitting on his back porch summer before last and we hear this car stop and the car door slam.  We didn’t think much of it but about 2 minutes later a tiny black and white kitten comes walking down the driveway.  

This is a weird cat.  It’s tame enough to pet but likes to be petted like a dog.  It kills the hell out of the rat and mouse population and it eats what it kills.  He does not have to feed ti much.  

He said “poor kitty” in the email but that was all.
I was hoping he would respond as soon as I replied back to him.

This is one of the few cats I like.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:45:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I know a cat that survived a run in with a rattler.  The cat lived, but the back legs and front legs are't synchronized anymore - and the cat is generally just "not right".
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:48:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
All snakes have to die. Period.

+ eleventy billion

My money's on the cat.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#34]
My guess... the cat will mess with the snake, the snake will make a few pops at the cat, the cat will step up it's playing, the snake will eventually connect.  After the couple of pin pricks, the cat will take off like a shot.

Both go their separate ways.

+1 on the ratsnake ID.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:57:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Cat is too big for snake to eat, so snake's only interest is self preservation.  But snake is cornered by human with camera, which kind of throws a monkey wrench into the works.

I'm not enough of a herpophile to be able to visually ID the snake from this picture.  Seems like the photographer felt it was safe enough to get in close to it while it was riled up by the cat though, so maybe the cameraman had seen it well enough to ID it as non-poisonous.

Cat looks well fed and tame enough to focus on snake and not photographer as the immediate threat.  (Pet instead of feral cat)

Thus we have curious house cat vs a snake which has no interest in trying to eat it.

If snake is poisonous and cat is used to rodents and playtoys only, cat dies.  25% chance

If snake is nonpoisonous, and cat is aggressive or likes to play with moving "toys", snake dies.  25% chance.

Snake knows it can't eat cat and well-fed healthy cat has no interest in eating snake, both live:  50% chance.

Thanks for the little game that makes us think  Tagged for outcome!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:00:26 AM EDT
[#36]
If the snake has venom (water moccasin?) the kitty is dead. If it's a rat snake, well then the snake is dead. Sorry, I just can't tell from the pic.

Cobras are slow as shit. Haven't y'all seen the videos of people kissing them on the head? Sheez "Cats kill cobras"
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If the snake has venom (water moccasin?) the kitty is dead. If it's a rat snake, well then the snake is dead. Sorry, I just can't tell from the pic.

Cobras are slow as shit. Haven't y'all seen the videos of people kissing them on the head? Sheez "Cats kill cobras"

Of course cats can kill cobras in Australia... the cobras are exhausted from the long swims from Africa and Asia!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#38]
dead cat
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#39]
In a contest between a cold blooded animal and a warm blooded one the biggest factor to consider is the outside temp.  Since the plants are just starting to bud it is most likely still fairly cold.  Snakes are very slow if they are not quite warm.  People (like Steve Erwin have no problem reacting to a snake strike fast enough to stay out of harm, and the kitty has "cat like reflexes".  My money is on the cat.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#40]
note from the buddy...

just a black snake they played for a bit and then went there separate ways.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Damn, I was hoping for some dead cat action.

I hate snakes and I hate cats, but I respect snakes more than those furry money pits.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
i owe you guys an update...  i don't have an answer yet.
A buddy of mine sent me this pic of his cat and this snake.
They own a farm in MO and he is retired.  We were sitting on his back porch summer before last and we hear this car stop and the car door slam.  We didn’t think much of it but about 2 minutes later a tiny black and white kitten comes walking down the driveway.  

This is a weird cat.  It’s tame enough to pet but likes to be petted like a dog.  It kills the hell out of the rat and mouse population and it eats what it kills.  He does not have to feed ti much.  

He said “poor kitty” in the email but that was all.
I was hoping he would respond as soon as I replied back to him.

This is one of the few cats I like.  

Weird. My cat is like a dog and likes to be petted as such too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Well THAT was a big disapointment!  Come on man, next time make something up if the results are that boring.

"It was a pretty good struggle for a while there, but then the snake had a coil around the cat's neck while the cat had the snakes head in it's mouth.  I was thinking they would both kill each other, but that was when the dog came in....."

See, that would have been much better.  In fact, I'm going to reject your reality and substitute my own because I like my version better.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Holy shit, I would have never guessed that!
Cats are pretty quick, but snakes are downright lightning fast.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit, I would have never guessed that!
Cats are pretty quick, but snakes are downright lightning fast.

I can believe the first statistic.  Snakes are fast ... scary fast.  Cats are only about half as fast as Chuck Norris ... which would still be fast enough to make a samich, hit a few lady cats, and still side step the snake's strike.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#46]
"Hand me that choppa"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top